Forgot your password?

2006 Subaru Legacy GT Brake System

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

About 6-1/2 years ago, I bought a used 2006 Subaru Legacy GT from a local dealership. At the time of purchase it had 27,000 miles on the odometer; today it has 122,000. While I drove it quite a bit the first 5 to 6 years, it now mostly sits in the garage and is rarely driven. I considered selling it, but my wife talked me out of it. Although the car has had its ups and downs, it's been a great car overall and it's a lot of fun to drive. The factory, powered sub-woofer makes it that much more enjoyable, and the turbo charged engine can get me from a dead stop to a $200 speeding ticket in under 5 seconds.  ;D

The car is properly maintained and in excellent condition, with the exception of a worn spot on the driver's leather seat and the brake rotors being warped. Everything works properly, and the body has only insignificant blemishes. The worn seat is an eyesore, but the brake problem is something I have to deal with. To give you a little history, I replaced the original worn out brake system about 3 years ago with EBC performance slotted rotors and pads. It was a chunk of change (about $700), but I thought it'd be worth it and deserving for the car. 35,000 miles later, I've ordered a new system to replace it.

The slotted rotors were a mistake from the beginning. Looking back on things, I should have immediately torn the system back down, returned the parts and started over, but I decided to give it a chance. The problem with performance slotted/drilled rotors is their level of aggressiveness and noise. It can be rather tiring for everyday commuting. On top of that, I'm having to deal with warping again. I have always taken it easy on the brakes, with rarely having to "lay on them." I don't know why they warped, but they did.

I still want some level of performance, but not nearly as aggressive as before. After much research and obtaining second opinions (to include those of our fleet mechanics) I opted for Centric Premium cryo-treated plain-surface rotors. For pads, I went with Centric PosiQuiet Extended Wear (semi-metallic) pads. Note: The cryogenic treatment is explained about 1/2 way down this page: Centric StopTech Sport Rotors

The new parts, which set me back $398, will arrive early next week. I'll give you one guess how I'll be spending my first day off.

Scuzzy; yes, I'll be listening to a Rock 'n Roll station while doing the work.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Sounds like a big investment for a 9 year old car.  I assume you plan on keeping it 'til it dies?  Good luck with the work.

Edited for spelling.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I'll likely keep the car for its life or mine, whichever comes first. It's very well cared for, the maintenance is up to date, and it's a pleasure to drive. The worn spot on the seat was caused by years of getting in/out of the car with my duty gear. Someday I'll get it fixed or replaced. Were I to sell it, the buyer would be getting one hell of a great car. Our youngest hopes to one day inherit it.  ::)

About 6 or 7 months ago, I parked it not wanting to needlessly rack up the miles. It's been relegated to the "special occasion" car and now sees less than 200 miles of use per month, if that. I took it out once in the last 3 weeks for a wash, and then parked it again.

My daily driver is our old 2001 Chrysler Town & Country, with 216,000 miles on the odometer. It gets poor gas mileage, but it's dependable and I drive it less than 1,000 miles monthly anyway. Once it bites the dust I'll pick up a used, small SUV to replace it. Maybe something like my wife's Subaru Forester.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I suppose I should give a quick update on this...

The brakes are completely done. Braking is now fully responsive, quiet, and with buttery-smooth stops. My daughter Megan was visiting the day I started and she replaced the left front brake system, while I worked on the right. The inside, left front brake pad decided to be a pain, so I had to fight with getting it installed. Otherwise, she did the rest. She was taught by the best, so I know it was done right. She did not have enough time to help me out with the rears, so that was on me.

Scuzzy; yes, we blasted the Rock 'n Roll.