Date: 28 March 24, 02:54 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

OnePlus 6T

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Given the price of this phone I think we have a winner.  But for the last two days I have been trying to create an account with OnePlus which will be important if I decide to buy one.  However their automated system does not respond to my efforts.  I get to the point of having to verify my email address and nothing happens.  The system tells me it sent a verification email but nothing arrives. I have chatted live with 2 different CS reps to no avail.  It seems they can't or won't manually create an account and my difficulty has been bumped up to the top of CS.

The other issue that has surfaced in a couple of reviews is that without some individual intervention by VZ, the 6T is not recognized by VZ's SMS programs.   Not sure what to do about that problem but texting is important to me, almost more than the phone calls.

I have been promised a resolution about the account issue by the last CS rep by direct email but so far there has silence.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Yes i did and also changed browsers.  No, T-mo is not an option. G & K are both on T-Mo now with a signal enhancer in the house.  They get zero signal in my house.

VZ is here to stay.  How I connect remains to be determined, 6T or Galaxy 9S.

I recall your wife has the 9S.  Do you have a preference between the Note and the 9S?
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

That's odd. I had a very strong T-Mo signal and great speeds when I visited at your house (better than in my own home). If they have the older phones (prior to Band 12 and Band 71), that's probably the reason. T-Mobile's map is showing good signal strength in your neighborhood. Pretty much your whole town has excellent coverage.

V and I are both happy with our phones. The S9 works for her, and my Note 9 is perfect for my needs. The Note's S Pen stylus makes my life much easier. If I had gone with the Galaxy S9, it definitely would have been the Plus model. I find the extra screen real estate invaluable on my Note 9, which is comparable to the S9 Plus.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

George just bought a new T-mo phone.  He was using an older VZ with a T-mo sim.  Maybe that was the problem.  I will have to get him over here again to test the new one.  Maybe there  is hope for a less expensive service yet.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I for one am very pleased with T-Mobile. I came over from Verizon, and there is no chance that I would ever consider returning. I especially appreciate that T-Mo's "One" plans are the actual price you pay. There are no additional fees, taxes, or unpleasant surprises.

Is there a chance you could just piggy back off of your friends' plan? That would make it a whopping $10 a month for unlimited everything. I know T-Mo is currently offering a free line, but I don't know the details other than you have to have at least 2 lines in place. Plus, with 2 lines or more they throw in a free Netflix account.

T-Mo is also currently offering a single line of unlimited service for a flat $50 a month. It's prepaid, if that matters to you. I would not care as long as the savings is worthwhile.

BTW: I think T-Mo would take your old phone as a trade in to discount the 6T by 1/2 price. However, that offer ends this Friday.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I think piggy backing would be an imposition, so no.  And regardless of the deal I'm not really ready to switch.  George's house is in a T-mo dead spot and he uses a T-mo mini tower in his house, provided free by T-mo.

So the GS9+ has a wider screen than the GS9.....I'm not sure I need the extra size and the GS9 would probably fit better in my hand.  But I must say I have been impressed with the deal and the goodies you get from T-Mo.

Edit: I looked at the T-mo site and my phone is not listed for the 50% deal.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

You gotta do what works best for you.

As for the Galaxy S9, it will fit you hand better than the S9 Plus. My Note 9 is the same size as the Plus, and it's a perfect fit for me. Once in awhile I notice the extra size, but for the most part it works. If a more manageable size is important, you'll likely be quite happy with the standard S9. It's undeniably a great phone.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Not certain now. I'm waiting for George's new T-mo phone test here. If his signal is strong here I may consider switching for a lower cost.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

If you choose to switch to T-Mo, make sure the phone supports 600 MHz (Band 71). All of the new Samsung models since the Galaxy S8 Active support it, as does the newer LG phones and the OnePlus 6T.

T-Mo has been expanding both 600 MHz & 700 MHz across the country over the last year like an out-of-control madman. The 600 MHz signals should be fully deployed within the next year or two. This means much better signals and speeds, along with a larger footprint.

ProSound News: T-Mobile Continues 600 MHz Push

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks, that's interesting.  While we're on the subject, I was comparing the 6T and the S9 specs.  The OnePlus is listed as Tier 3 and the Galaxy as Tier 4.  I understand how these ratings apply to data centers, but not phones.  Google produced only data center material.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

That's a new term to me regarding phones.

If I were buying today I would strongly consider the 6T. But if "feel in hand" is important to you, then the S9 may be the better fit. I would think that you can't go wrong with either phone.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks, your opinion is important.  I think I decided exactly that last night, along with "this ain't rocket science, why stress over it."  And a wrong decision is not forever.  I need more "hand time."

Bigger decision is whether to switch carriers.  Which is a 2 part question, coverage and cost.
Without the hardware piece, my VZ bill is $57.00. Sounds like T-mo can be lower.
The coverage issue now awaits George's experience.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I went shopping at my local Safeway grocery store this morning. Afterward I walked over to the new T-Mo store that opened up next door.

I quickly found the new 6T, and I must admit that I was really impressed with what I saw. That looks like one stinkin' nice phone. Far nicer than Samsung's Galaxy option, IMHO.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

The other thing that sticks in my mind, two years ago or maybe 4 years ago, I tried a Galaxy and my lasting impression is that the speakers sounded "tinny" when they got to the volume where I could hear them, particularly on speakerphone function which I use all the time.

I'm pretty well sold on the 6T.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I don't have high expectations for sound on a smartphone, but there's no doubt that the Note 9 has much better sound than the Note 5 it replaced. My bigger concern is volume. My Note 5 was close to worthless when I had a call on speaker. The Note 9 has much better volume and clarity. It's the same with V's Galaxy S9, as I have no problem hearing when she has a call on speaker.

One other thing I really like about the 6T is that it has a totally flat screen. Although I am used to it,  I don't care for the gimmicky, curved edge screen on the Galaxy and Note phones.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Volume is an issue for me too.  Using the handset for a call is impossible for me, so I use the speakerphone all the time.
I haven''t been able to try the 6T volume capability yet.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks for that.  I have run the numbers for T-Mo 55+ vs. my current Vz plan.  Adding the $24.50 for the 6T  vs the $22. for the Moto(now) make the T-Mo plan $3.00 less expensive than Vz. Not enough of a difference to switch, so it really comes down to the phone choice.  I'm not wild about carrying a larger phone and the Samsung 9S is the smallest of the three.
The Pixel 3 is attractive. If the comparison was only it or Samsung , I'd buy the Pixel.  But the 6T from a price point is also attractive but the visuals get panned in many reviews. 
After Christmas I will do some of my own comparisons, speaker phone quality in particular.  VZ contract expires in Jan. 

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Yesterday I stopped into the local T-Mo store and they had the 6T live.  I had a chance to test the speakerphone and that was enough.  It was at least  50% louder than my Moto and very clear.  I expect about 2/1/19 I will be switching to T-Mo.

I also talked about the Cell-Spot, still in use and still free, if necessary.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

A clear speakerphone certainly helps a lot. My Note 9 has a much better speakerphone than my old Note 5 ever did, and it has made my life easier.

The Cell Spot is certainly nice if needed. Hopefully you'll be able to do without, as it would be one less monkey to deal with.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Just an FYI, there have been complaints of T-Mobile's 6T getting updates slower than the international version. The reason is because all updates must first pass T-Mobile's own testing before being released into the wild.

Personally I don't see a problem with this, but some users are losing their marbles over not getting immediate updates.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I have read some of that, I don't understand what the big deal is.  VZ was never very prompt with updates either.

Just FWI, there are also complaints about the Cell Spot interfering with home networks.  The reason is the Cell Spot places a priority on T-Mo cellphone signals within the home wifi system.  If the router signal is not strong enough, that priority takes signal from things like other devices or, for instance Netflix, rendering them all but useless.
I know the ASUS router over comes this problem nicely. 
Still planning on switching early Feb.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Don't forget that there are 2 CellSpot devices. One is a router that functions as a microcell, and the other is a signal booster. Take a second look at my previous poast regarding this subject:

CellSpot vs. CellSpot

As I understand how these products work, you should avoid the router (microcell) if you live in an urban area.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Yes, I've decided to go with T-Mo. A couple of things cut into line ahead of it.  Probably next month.........Expensive crap happens now and then.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

As of today, I am T-Mo customer with a new T6 in hand.  Signal strength in the house is 4-5 bars and of course full blown wi-fi.  I think I won't need a Cell Spot.
The T6 is very fast, the T-Mo version has 8 mgs of memory.  T-Mo also has a new transfer app that moved everything from the Moto over except the server settings for my email accounts. But texts, email, contacts all went in about 10 minutes. 

Blue tooth paired with the car instantly and loaded all my contacts in the car phone system.
And the only thing I had to do was load the wi-fi key for the house system.

I didn't buy the phone out right so financially it is close to a wash but I am done with VZ's arrogance. And I have the option of paying off the phone whenever I might like. Probably will in a couple of months and then the service will be a flat $50.00 with direct pay.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Nice! I'm glad it's working out so far. It looks like you're off to a great start.

One of these days I'll work on a CellSpot for my home. The signal mostly works, but it could certainly be better as I'm a little out in the sticks. I look forward to T-Mobile's new 600 MHz (Band 71) signal making it out to my little corner of the world.

Funny that my biggest reason for switching to T-Mo was that I was sick and tired of being sick and tired of Verizon's arrogance and pricing.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

To arrange for next day delivery of a Cell Spot just dial 611 on the phone.  T-Mo, at least here, has set up regional CS teams, i.e. each time you call you get someone from the same team, and they seem to talk to one another.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Do you have multiple email addresses on your phone?  I have a gmail account and my ISP account using the Gmail app.  My phone is showing 2 inboxes, Gmail is using one, the ISP (IMAP) account messages are going to the other inbox. 
I may have solved this problem by forwarding the Gmail messages to the ISP email address, but I'm not sure yet.

Have you found a different solution?

I have discovered a down side to very small bezels.  I have been moving the main screen apps. to the center of the screen.

Edit: Forwarding the Gmail messages only guaranteed duplicate messages, still in separate inboxes.  So far I don't have another idea.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I have been using Nova Launcher for several years. One of the features I cannot live witout is that it allows me to lock down the desktop so that I cannot accidentally move or delete apps and shortcuts. I also like the consistency when I move to a new phone. Problem is that it fully replaces the stock launcher, which you may not like. Personally, I think it's great and I paid for the Prime version.

As for the email, I have no useful advice. I use the Gmail app, but with the notifications disabled. I also use my Fastmail account by using the web address on Firefox. I chose not to install the Fastmail app, as I saw no need for it.

I'm sure someone somewhere has a solution, but I don't even know where to look. I'm sorry I'm no help on this.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks, I may have found a solution called Blue Mail, Inc in the Google store.  I am going to try it for a while.  Description says it will handle an unlimited number of accounts and consolidate messages.  We'll see.....

I'm not sure about your launcher.......

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Further research on the Blue Mail app shows a very mixed bag with variation running from 5 stars to 1, equally divided among users.
I've decided to pass.  Looks now as if I have to live with the email issue.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

So far it's been great.  Signal strength is good and wifi calling works well.  I am impressed with the phone volume and have had to turn it down a bit.  Much louder than my Moto was. 

I will check on the system update, thanks.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Android 9 had a security update and it seems a couple of minor system changes. After the update the phone "feels" crisper and faster. Probably my imagination.

Where did you see the system update notice?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

By all means. The phone itself is great.  The volume is terrific and very clear and crisp. For me the battery easily lasts 2 days. 

What I am having some trouble with is Android Pie, very frustrating.  The O/S is called intuitive, but I don't think so. 'Course it could be me.  Yesterday I used Google maps for directions, and there was a big discrepancy between Google and my GMC Nav. system.  They were complicated directions, some parts way out in the country without phone service. My problem was I couldn't find a way to turn Google Maps off.  I just reverted to the main screen and as I was parking at Walmart, the phone says " In point 2 tenths of a mile please prepare to turn right."  I still don't see an off switch or an X.

One of the things I really enjoy is labeling incoming calls "Likely a scam."  Which is not the phone itself........

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I just tolerate Android Pie. Like you, I don't find that it's more intuitive. While Pie is not a show stopper, I was quite happy with Oreo.

I don't normally use GPS functions, aside from traveling cross country in unknown parts. I've tried using Google GPS when traveling on my Harley, but the map will absolutely not stay in place on my Note 9. It constantly reduces down to an unusable small square on my screen. I don't know if it's because of the motorcycle vibrations, but it is extremely frustrating. I never had that problem with my Note 5.

My Harley's built-in GPS mostly works well, but it's not intuitive. Everything is a lot of effort, especially when going down the road. I often consider that I should have bought an Indian bagger instead (I almost did, but the Indian dealership was 24 hours too slow on getting back with me). The Indian's information center is fast and easy.

Scuzzy; next time.

EDIT: So after poasting this I finally went looking for a solution and learned that there's a picture-in-picture mode that can be disabled for Maps. We'll see next time if it works.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

But the bike you bought is beautiful, nothing is ever perfect.  I have the shrinking map problem too, just driving in the car, no vibrations.  I share the frustration with that. I like to look at the larger map to see where I'm going and to make sure the directions will take me where I'm headed.  I don't really trust the "turn here" view.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with my Harley, but the information center was programmed by a drunk high school dropout. Lol. No doubt Indian motorcycles have their own quirks, but I may switch to Indian for the next round. Harley has a new information center for their new bikes, but it's not much better from what I have. Indian knocked theirs out of the ball park... it's truly awesome.

While I have not tried it on the bike yet, the shrinking map quirk is an easy fix:

1. Tap the gear icon for the settings menu
2. Scroll down to and select "Apps"
3. Scroll down to and select "Maps"
4. Scroll down to "Advanced" and select "Picture-In-Picture"
5. Remove the permission

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks I'll try that.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop