Date: 01 May 24, 16:35 PM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Swappa

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I just listed the 6T on Swappa.  Geez they're a picky lot.  If it doesn't sell no harm done.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I had a message my 6T has sold.  I have the buyers name but where do I find a shipping address?
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I found it.  You can't be expected to remember everything.  They sent an email with a link to the buyers info.  But pretty good action.
I'm not sure if the sale this quickly was good fortune or the site has a lot of traffic.  Either way this is like the cherry on top.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

PayPal tells me that my payment is on hold until "they" have confirmation of delivery. Payment will be released 24hrs. after confirmation.  I haven't figured out how confirmation happens.  But the buyer now has the phone. There was some comment that this transaction was a higher than normal risk.  Must have been my ineptitude using Swappa.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

That sounds about right, but like I said it's been awhile.

Confirmation of receipt was done by the USPS receipt of delivery, not by something that the buyer has to do. Basic rules of selling applies, such as delivery strictly to USA street addresses. Deliveries to a P.O. Box for example, is a red flag. Hopefully you won't have any issues with this sale.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks, it all seemed straight forward, no P.O. boxes.

Swappa money cleared this morning.  All is well.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

If someone offers less than posted price, don't haggle.  I was chastised by one of their sr. rep. for doing so.  They recommend waiting for a full price buyer.  I think they are sensitive about becoming an auction.  The only other issue is stated condition of your Note9.  They are picky about signs of wear. If your start by listing it as "good" you will save yourself a bit over aggravation.
If you agree to express overnight shipping, post the USPS price, which I think is $26.35.

Good luck, I hope it sells as quickly as my 6T.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

My phone sold and I shipped it out today to an address in NYC. Adding up shipping, insurance & signature required ($25), plus PayPal fee ($9), it adds up. The Swappa fee ($10) is paid by the buyer, but that's misleading. I have to take the fee into consideration when I sell and then drop the price appropriately to make it competitive. As far as I'm concerned, it cost me $44 to sell the phone on Swappa.

The whole thing requires effort and is not entirely risk free, regardless of what Swappa and PayPal say. Reading the rules on PayPal, it seems the buyer is given favoritism vs. the seller (e.g. buyer can wait 180 days to make a claim). I figure it will be the end of the week before the package even arrives, so now I wait for the funds to be released. The next time I may simply put it up on Craigslist.

I debated in my head for awhile and decided that if worse comes to worse, I can reluctantly take a $300 loss. So I took the risk and will hope for the best.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Swappa is not inexpensive but my listing produced a net gain of $181 that I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

I am very leary of Craig's List. I listed an antique cabinet a few years ago.  I had 50 some responses, all of them scams, from as far away as India.
I also listed a Hyundai Tibron which produced no private buyers but an aggressive car dealer that actually bought it for a fair price.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

And.... it's a freakin' fiasco.

My gut tells me that the buyer (supposedly a woman), is actually a man living in a shelter after his wife booted his worthless ass out. I think he hacked his wife's PayPal to buy a phone he can't afford. Unfortunately for him, I smelled a rat and sent the package "signature required" with delivery restricted to the addressee.

Now the buyer is coming up with excuses about why the package has not been delivered, and he is threatening to ship it back. Hmm. How is he going to return a package that he does not have? USPS is showing the package in the Post Office awaiting pickup since Wednesday. Schmucklenuts (technical term) is telling me that the Post Office is "lying". Meanwhile, the funds remain on hold at PayPal.

I originally denied the sale because the PayPal address did not match where he wanted me to send it to, so he fixed the PayPal address. According to PayPal, as long as I ship to the approved address then I am protected. I went ahead with the sale, but chose the restricted delivery and kept the original address info.

Today I sent a handwritten letter to the original name and address that was on PayPal. I'm betting I'm right about my instincts.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

That's too bad.  I hope you get it straightened out.  But you know better than I, dealing with the public is a crap shoot.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

The phone is delivered as of this morning (Saturday), but I'm frustrated with the overall experience. Especially with USPS and how PayPal accepts tracking numbers.

I sent the phone via USPS Priority Mail, insured, & signature required. I was given 2 tracking numbers by the clerk for the same package. One was for the insurance, and the other for the signature required. The clerk then said it's common for only one tracking number to be scanned at the other end. Great.

When I initially tried to enter the tracking numbers into PayPal, I learned I can only enter one. Of course, USPS only scanned one of the tracking numbers at delivery and it was not the one I entered into PayPal. I just edited the tracking info in PayPal, and now wait.

Apparently the buyer was being honest about the runaround he/she received at USPS. A large problem was having 2 tracking numbers, and postal workers randomly only scanning one or the other. Despite the package being delivered, the insurance tracking number continues to show the package sitting at the post office - undelivered. USPS tracking info

It would have been less stressful to throw the phone in a drawer.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

This morning, Sunday, you should have a notice that your payment has been released. 

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop