Date: 29 March 24, 00:58 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

unlocked cell phone question

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

I have been trying to understand what an unlocked cell phone is without a lot of success. I can usually figure these things out but I found no good basics on this on the net. My limited understanding is that you can start using an unlocked phone with your current carrier in some cases using the SIM card. This is the only thing I really want to know. If feasible I want to buy an unlocked phone and use it with Straightalk, my carrier.

I have a Motorola W385 CDMA phone. There is no mention of a SIM card in the 60+ page manual. I removed the back cover and it exposes the battery. I don’t see anything else but I didn’t take the battery out.

I got this idea that if I find a used unlocked phone for sale somewhere I could test it by removing my SIM card and inserting it into an unlocked phone and see if it works. This would be done before buying the phone and thus the idea of trying it on a used phone. Is this a workable thing to try? If so, where is the SIM card on this thing? Thanks for any input.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

A phone that is locked means that it is locked to a carrier, such as AT&T. A locked AT&T phone can only be used on an AT&T wireless plan. An unlocked phone means that it can be used on different carriers.

However, you also need to use the right type phone for a particular carrier. The two available technologies in the United States are "CDMA" and "GSM". GSM phones are the ones that use SIM cards. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA, whereas AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM.

EDIT: The Motorola W385 is a CDMA phone and does not support a SIM card.

Straight Talk supports both CDMA and GSM phones. But for any phone to work on their network, it must be one of their own or an unlocked model.

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

So the one I have is CDMA and no sim card. When you say for an unlocked phone to work it has to be "an unlocked model", you mean a straightalk unlocked model?

Anyway, if no sim card how would you transfer your account over to an unlocked phone?

This is confusing but I'm slowly getting it. I have learned one thing, do not buy an unlocked phone unless I'm sure it can be returned if I can't get it to work. Seems the best way is to get one used and check it on the spot. Thanks.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

For example, an unlocked GSM phone will work on either AT&T or T-Mobile. All you should have to do is move over the SIM card. An unlocked CDMA phone will work on Verizon, Sprint or Straight Talk, but you'll have to go through the carrier to activate the phone.

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

Thanks Scuzzy. Sprint has some good looking phones you don't have to take out a mortgage. I've been looking at the Nokia E5 too. I was fooling around with them in the store the other day. They seem to be solidly built, nice looking and get high reviews. This one is $200 from straightalk and $180 from amazon. The difference should be the other way around.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

Scuzzy, looks like a good site, will bm it. I called Straightalk and they said Sprint phones won’t work, can’t activate them thru ST. Family Mobile, also thru Walmart, has good phones but they also can’t be activated via ST. They list 2 phones that are interesting:
Samsung T749 Highlight Wireless Touchscreen Phone
Motorola Cliq XT Wireless Android Phone

The Motorola has good reviews but a lot of complaints that the Android os is an old version that can’t be upgraded to 2.2. Couple reviews say you can do but looks complicated and not easily done.

The Nokia E5 is $200 on ST, 180 on Amazon but you can’t buy it there and activate on ST.

I continue researching since there is no device I will have in my hands as often so I will look, look, look. Thanks for you input. Tom

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

On the other hand, I recommend that you avoid a contract if you can. I'd rather lay out a few hundred bucks for a phone than to be stuck on  a contract for a couple years.

A Sprint phone will not work on Straight Talk. You need an unlocked phone. Your question to Straight Talk should not be if a Sprint Phone will work, but rather can you use your own unlocked phone.

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

Not sure exactly what you're looking for as far a features, but I find the TracFone to be a good value for me. Just depends on what you need.
I like it because there is no monthly fees, the phones are reasonably priced and have most regular phone features, don't mistake them for smart phone that's not what these are. Mine came with double minutes for life so every time I buy minutes they are doubled. I see they now have a couple of newer models that come with triple minutes for life.

I use mine almost exclusivity for work and I use it a lot and it cost me about 20$ a month. Last year it was much less probably about 5$ per month, big job this year and I'm on point on this one.
SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

Voice quality is number since I use it for work in all kinds of situations. The flip Motorola I have now is not so good. After that, the touchscreen is nice but not for a huge price. I was with a friend last night who has the iphone. It is really nice but the price tag is not for me esp since the others are catching up with a better price. I need to be able to do emails as easy as I can and I prefer a touch keyboard on the screen. I like the gps. A 3g for net access is a nice thing to have. One that seems to have all I need and gets good reviews is the Samsung T749 Highlight. I also like the Nokia E5 but it has the exterior kb and I don’t like that bec it takes a lot of space. I do very little texting which is what this if for it seems.

The tracphone is interesting. I will check it out. Thanks.

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

ok scuzzy, I called straightalk back and they said an unlocked phone will not work. It has to be a straightalk phone, no ifs ands or butts. Period.

Is there a way to make it work without going through them or whatever?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

If Straight Talk will not accept an unlocked phone, then there is no work around.

That's unfortunate. I'd gladly see laws in place that would prevent locked phones in the first place.

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

ST is about to offer the Samsung Galaxy. This phone is not available until Sept. It looks very interesting for under $150. But no reviews before you buy it.

http://gadgetian.com/22697/samsung-galaxy-precedent-full-specifications-and-price-details/