Date: 17 April 24, 19:43 PM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Android and VZ

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

On 8/29/17 I did a system update on my Moto Z.  Beginning on 8/30/17 Blue Tooth began acting up.  Try as I might I could not pair my phone with my car.  Yesterday I took my phone to the local VZ store and spent about 40 minutes with their head techie.  After a couple of false starts, he concluded my phone was defective.  The phone is still under the 1 year warranty and they ordered me a new one.  And much to my surprise, it shipped yesterday and will arrive on Monday 9/15 - I was impressed with their efficiency, but it is a factory certified refurb.  Normal I guess. 

With a  little more research  I discovered the system update was for Android 7.1.1.  That is the same Android version that created the Google Pixel phone Blue Tooth problem that we talked about almost a year ago.  I am hoping the new one doesn't have the latest version of Android and I'm not going to do any more updates either.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I wonder if the update is really the problem, although it certainly seems very suspect. Here's hoping the replacement phone resolves the problem.

Maybe it's time for a new car. Lol

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I considered that!  But the VZ techie's phone paired with my car almost instantly, removing any doubt about the GMC Blue Tooth system.
We will find out tomorrow, after I activate the replacement.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I was completely wrong about the Blue Tooth problem.  The replacement phone arrived with Android 7.1.1 installed.  The phone paired almost instantly with the car, and connected with my wifi automatically, no password required, must have been on the transferred sim card.  I used the VZ Cloud to backup my contacts, but VZ used my Google account to download my contacts.  Seems Google Sync includes other information beyond bookmarks.

There are some other minor differences with the new phone that I like.  All in all not a painful experience.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

So... I'm not ignoring you. :) Since we started teaching the Patrol section earlier this week, the Tech Team has been slammed busy. It will remain that way until approx mid-October.

That's great news on getting the Bluetooth problem resolved. I only use my Google account for all types of smartphone related backups. I can't imagine how Verizon's version could be any better, but then again I've never messed with it.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I didn't think you were, maybe working the night shift.........

Turns out the car blue tooth also has an issue, sporadically not initializing when the car is started.  When the phone doesn't pair automatically I have tried verbal commands, also tried the manual method, system response was "blue tooth is not turned on".

Seems to be a dealer repair or replacement is in order here.  Google Fu has been no help. 

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

This blue tooth issue seems to have worked itself out.  For the last week or so it's been fine.  I think once the car's blue tooth failed to start, but when I tried to do the pairing it worked. 

I've stopped thinking about it.