Date: 18 April 24, 14:07 PM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

TV audio

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

While the new plasma has absolutely awesome picture quality, the sound is badly lacking.  Imagine the quality of speakers that fit in a inch case and fire to the rear.  I have no as in zero interest in a HT audio system and my wife insists on simplicity, only one, easy to use remote. I thought about using /trying my Klipsch computer speakers but cannot find a connector/pigtail with 2 female RCAs to one mini male to the speakers...Our local Radio Shack closed a few months back for a lack interest.

Short bit of research suggests computer speakers plug into headphone out jack,  Have go see if I have one. 

Help, please.

Bill
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

A soundbar is likely your easiest/best solution. I recall seeing a Vizio model at Walmart for approx $100.

Check this Amazon search for other possibilities. Check reviews whilst there.

I think you'll also need a Toslink cable to connect the soundbar to the TV.

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

Bill,

I have these Logitech Z523 speakers connected to my TV. I'm using the RCA connecters on my tv audio out and on the speakers. I have the tv internal speakers off. I then leave the speaker volume at about two thirds and use the tv remote to control the volume.

I've been using this setup for over a year now and find it satisfactory. I bought these not last Black Friday but the one before for 49$. They do occasionally go on sale. 
SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Scuzzy:  I  have very little clearance between the shelf and the bottom of the screen, about 4" to the display panel itself and 2.75" from shelf to bottom of bezel.  Most of the sound bars I looked at when we were looking at the TV exceeded that clearance.

Pat: Do you use the Z523 s for music as well as the TV?  If so how are they; "satisfactory" doesn't sound like a rave review.
I do appreciate the RCA input convenience built in these as well as the Z623 s which are THX certified for $40+/- more.  I listened to a couple of U-tube demos  of the Z523  and Z623 and heard little difference(which is kind of odd using my computer speakers) and my initial impression was the highs sounded a little tinny, which is my complaint with the TV built-ins.

JA:  Best Buy's - recommended solution - a Panasonic soundbar with wireless sub -$399.99

Obviously requires more research for me.

Thanks all.

Bill
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

• The Ghost who walks. Slowly.

I'll jump in, since I have absolutely no investment. 
As the owner of an all or nothing system (it's TV by itself, or else I run through the stereo but that's really just DVD player feed) with a Bose soundbar, multi stereo speakers (PSB mains, as well as Cambridge Sound duos of satellite mid/tweeter and subs) and then dual surround (my old Infinity 3 ways topped by Bose satellites) I'm out of the loop on a TV reinforcement-only concept.

I did read an article on Crutchfield listing the soundbar - stereo - multi-speaker (surround/sub) options.  It looks like some multi speaker groupings are under $100.  And considering you're already out some cash I'd guess you'd want a suitable and cost effective method.

Bill, are you looking for "movie theatre" sound, for watching films (and music related media?) with deep bass and stereo.. or more of a TV reinforcement (richer deeper but basically just whatever the TV feed is.. meaning dialogue for the most part?).   Plus space considerations; I've got my soundbar set behind the TV, on a shelf.  And really just for the center channel feed, of surround/theater settings.  It may be the typically most space efficient soundbar solution is going to be tough, due to the spacing below or around your set.  The Bose I have isn't too tall, and I got it as it fits in well (plus Bose tends to throw the sound around, by design).  A sub might be added to a soundbar, as one hybrid.  Or I could see going with stereo, if you're figuring speakers away from the set.  Although you might lose the dialogue and center channel focus (unless you want to keep with the TV speakers, too?). 

It does interest me, just to watch what TV-based options there are for building that feed and going with self-powered additional speakers. Really, my plasma sound is fine, and I haven't found it "shallow" or lacking.  And I always modify the sound as well as video.  But as you noted, small plastic enclosures pointing away isn't going to be very hifi.

I could see the industry really going with a serious compatible TV speaker solution, with full fidelity speakers and a sub and enclose them with a TV in a big wood cabinet which

hold it.  that probably isn't going to be cost, or space, effective.  scratch that.

Ace; half the time I'm listening to the stereo or tv from another room, so what the hey.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Ace,
Not looking for movie sound quality - I probably couldn't tell anyway, I admittedly have some degree of hearing loss.  This TV doesn't permit internals and externals to operate simultaneously, so I'm looking to replace the internals with something "richer and deeper" that I can actually hear.  Ideally I'd like the Sats to sit on the shelf below the TV on either side of the cable box and Blu ray player stacked on top.  The sub, if I go that way can either sit on the bottom shelf or the carpet next to the stand.

I have the impression that replacing the internals with a $100 multi speaker sound bar probably doesn't offer much of a step up.  On the other hand Bose, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung are all north of $300, more than this project is worth, at least to me.

Bill

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

So far I've noticed a Vizio soundbar for less than $100, and Samsung seems to have a low-profile soundbar along with a wireless sub for just over $200.  I don't know; does the TV volume control then also control a soundbar...?  Would there be much need to adjust it, as long as it comes "on" with the set once you've figured your normal listening level?
Just trying to figure how much a separate remote would need to be adjusted.

Ace; Scuzzy adjusts my volume.

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

Ok, let me clarify satisfactory.

I could not justify the cost of an additional receiver/home theater setup. Really don't care for 5.1 or 7.1 setup at this point. I don't know that I listen to enough music or could appreciate the subtle differences in sound either. I do know that the sound is much better than it was with just the TV speakers and for the price I'm quite happy with it. It may be that these speakers have a little to much bass and don't quite hit the highest highs. But again, they do a decent job for most of the time and can get loud enough to blow you out of the room with very little distortion.

Here's my setup, I have my HTCP computer connected with HDMI and my cable set top box connected via HDMI. I also have my cable set top box connect to the back of my computer into a TV capture card that I use to record TV to disk using Windows Media Center. I then just have the speakers connected with the TV audio out like mentioned before. This works well for me.
I use the HTPC sort of like an all in one player for Bluray, DVD playback and instant from netflix and comcast as well as Hulu and the networks and just about anything else you can get on a computer.  Note that you do need third party software for Bluray, I use Total Media Theater version 5.x. 
SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks Pat, Now I understand.  That's helpful.

Ace, in my case the TV has 2 settings for external speakers - fixed and variable.  The variable setting lets the TV remote control the external volume much like Windows does with external speakers.  When I want more or less volume for the computer I use the speaker icon on the task bar.  I haven't touched the volume knob on the speakers in a long time. 

Bill

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill,

I think the Vizio may still be your best solution. If you can snag one at your local Walmart at the sale price, it's worth a shot. If you don't like it you can always return it.

The Vizio VSB 200 appears to be wall-mountable, so you can probably put it behind the set or directly above. The soundbar volume *should* be controllable by your TV, and I'm betting the volume will be much improved over what you currently have. Although the Vizio comes with a remote, it seems it's to setup the soundbar and to select the various presets. Maybe Ace-eo can give better advice, since I've never messed with one.

The Vizio may not compare to a Bose soundbar, but if you have hearing loss you may never know the difference anyway. These Amazon reviews may help.

BTW: Amazon has this Panasonic SC-HTB10 soundbar for $199.95.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks scuzzy.  Both the Vizio and Panasonic use remotes.  The Vizio remote is reported as being problematic, beyond its very existence.  The Panasonic is panned as much as it is praised.  I am thinking I like Pat's solution better, no remote, no settings beyond volume and base, one wire (maybe 2.)

Last night we tried a Blu-ray  disc for the first time and had a serious lack of volume problem.  This morning I started to dig into settings.  I think video settings are complicated enough, audio alternative settings, particularly in the old sony BD player compound the problem of complexity by a significant factor, IMO.  I was finally able to solve the problem with a troubleshooting section in the player manual.  But it reinforced our desire for simplicity.

Bill

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I have ordered these: http://tinyurl.com/7jsv4oh

Seems to be the best working solution for our situation.
I used Walmart 'ship to store' because its the easiest to return,  if necessary, no mailing required.  Scheduled to arrive 3/6.

Bill

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

Cool, hope they work out, they look nice.

Logitech also makes a 5.1 surround setup with that same THX certified going on.
Logitech Z906

But at that price point I'd be more in the market for an amp/receiver and speakers.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks, yes I agree, too expensive for not much equipment. 

The only concern I have at the moment is L/R balance.  I have that control on the TV but when I turn off the internals I might not.  Hard to tell until the Z s arrive.

Bill

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

Yeah I cannot adjust the levels with external speakers, that part is grayed out when they are connected. I don't miss it though, I can adjust the bass on the speakers and that seems to be enough.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Much to Walmart's credit, the speakers arrived 3 days early.  Not at all to my credit, I don't have RCA audio out jacks.  What I thought were, are actually component in jacks.  Stupid assumption.  So tomorrow they go back.

Scuzzy, you were, as usual, right.  The only audio out connection, beyond the HDMI 1 ARC channel, is optical requiring a TOS Link cable, which of course the Logitech speakers don't have.  But I must say I was impressed the the Z623 s.

Back to the drawing board.  I guess I could put a sound bar on the lowest shelf which is empty but only an inch off the floor.  That would point the sound bar directly some furniture which is not where we spend the bulk of our time watching TV.  I suppose I could switch the cable box and BR player to the bottom shelf but that would require 2 new, and longer HDMI cables.

So frusTRATing as Simon would say.....

Bill

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Our HH Gregg ad today has a Sharp "Convertible Soundbar and subwoofer" and is $219 on the sale.  Very low profile. So not "cheap" by any means, but sure is skinny.  Says it's for 46" or larger sets. 

Neither our receiver or DVD player has an HDMI connect,  so I wound up using component for our TV. 

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

That's a drag.

But for only $52 more you can get a converter.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Audio-Analog-Converter/dp/B0013LWK3A

But you may want to look into a more practical solution.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I am very sorry to hear I was right. No doubt Ace is stressed over it too.

I wish I had better advice, but a soundbar probably remains your best option. Mounting it on the wall directly directly behind or above the TV should work.

Scuzzy; I wonder if I can make Ace work by mounting him to the wall.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

After another couple hours I have discovered that the TV digital optical output is completely independent from the TV volume controls and cannot be controlled with the remote.  It relies on the sound bar/receiver for amplification and control and a separate remote.  I also discovered, I think, that not all sound bars can reproduce all audio signals, some for Dolby Digital, others for PCM.  I haven't checked my sound type yet.

I did find that Boston Acoustics sound bars "learn" to respond to the cable and/or TV remote eliminating an additional remote.
$350 from BB or $199 refurb from Boston Acoustic's outlet.

On Pat's suggestion for a digital optical converter, there seems to be an issue of stereo 2.1 vs. 5.1 hi. def sound and how HD cable channels broadcast sound.  I've checked a couple different mfgrs.  and sounds like (so pun intended)  another can of worms.

Bill