Date: 29 March 24, 00:10 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

LG 60PM6700

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

I don’t think you have to pay the $1600 price on the previous topic for a really decent hd plasma tv. I bought the LG 60PM6700 over a month ago based on high reviews and I’m not disappointed. I had always thought I would get a Samsung bec I would go into walmart and it looked like it had the best display of all of them. After months of research going from model to model incl Panasonic, Vizio and others I got the LG because it not only has higher reviews than Samsung but the price is unbeatable. Also despite the fact the 3d is active and the glasses, which don’t come with the set, are around $50 each. It still beats everything else I saw considering the high quality video display and the impressive 3d.

Check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/60PM6700-60-Inch-1080p-Active-Plasma/dp/B0074YRGKM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357654051&sr=8-1&keywords=LG+60PM6700

I say up front I’m not an expert on this bec this is my first big screen tv. I’ve wanted one for years but the cost was prohibitive. This tv brings that way down but still gives quality. I don’t know much about bleeding, ghosting, hot spots, etc etc. I read some of the reviews and it sounds like a lot of people want perfection where there isn’t any. I just want to turn the thing on and get a good hd picture and for me this one provides it. I could turn it on and look for defects and no doubt they are there. I don’t believe any tv is without some defects. But I can distinguish the cat whiskers on a lion’s face or count the wrinkles on an aging celebrities face. The hd picture is so good that times it’s almost like 3d.

On the 3d issue let’s get one thing straight. I’ve seen it dismissed by many who think it’s a fad or a gimmick. But if you’re sitting in a room reading this take a look around. You are looking at it in 3d! We live in a 3d world, not a 2d world. We have looked at 2d photos and tvs so long we think they are normal! They aren’t. 3d is normal and a tv with 3d is simply trying to replicate the real world. It ain’t perfect but it ain’t a gimmick either. I love the 3d on this tv. The nature programs are spectacular. There is a documentary called Galapagos and if you know the subject you can imagine what it looks like. No spears thrown out to scare you, no fire to engulf your living room. No gimmicks, just realism. Directv has two channels devoted exclusively to 3d. One is all sports and the other is nature programs with other stuff thrown in. I watched the Ala-Notre Dame game last night in 3d and all I can say is wow! It’s like you are there on the field among the players! The 3d glasses on this tv do have to be charged. They say a charge lasts 40 hours. I’ve had them on a lot of hours and they are still going good. I certainly would have preferred a tv with passive glasses but the cost is hundreds more.

The tv has a array of “smart features”, most I haven’t tried yet. One I did was photos. I put a bunch of Christmas pictures on a usb flash drive and stuck it into the side tv port and they came up quickly pretty much like on a computer.

One last thing, I thought a 60” would be too big in my appx 20x20 living room but it is just about the perfect size. So far I haven’t found any real down issues with this tv to talk about. If I do I will update this since I believe in full disclosure.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Thanks for the update, Chopin. I have looked at the LG a number of times as I comparison shop, and mostly I like what I see. The 50" model would probably work for me.

You nailed it when you observed that no TV is going to be perfect. I consider that even a cheap TV today will be far better than the most expensive television available just 20 years ago.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Buying TVs is similar to buying monitors, go look and buy what looks best to you.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

You are right scuzzy. I still remember the first tv in our house. A small used black & white with a lot of snow. My father used a pair of pliers to change channels bec the knob was broken. I was still enthralled with the thing. Things have come a long way. I knew this one wouldn't be perfect so now that I have it I'm grateful I was able to get it and now just enjoy it. I also got a Denon avr 1713 with yamaha 5.1. The sound is unlike any thing I've ever experienced of my own. It sounds like a movie theater system. There are times when something is coming from all 5 speakers which is amazing. The movie soundtracks today are far better than anything I experienced growing up.