Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Radio Active

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

• The Ghost who walks. Slowly.

I guess I am, since I play it when I don't have a CD in the car...

I guess the best song ever about radioactivity was Radioactive by The Firm, and I found that Kings of Leon also have a rendition (same song?). 

And not to pull a Gilbert Gottfried and lose my day Duck job by joking about catastrophy, but I do think it's ironic that disasters occur when a power plant loses power.  I was watching a video of an expert saying Japan should work the "Chernobyl Option" and start the dumping of sand and cement, since there is no physical way to get water on top of the exposed reactor (without getting permanently toasted in the process...) since the water cannons and choppers can't touch it.  And if it goes, then the dominoes go right down the line and there will be 4 meltdowns from 1.  The workers there strike me as very similar to Kamikaze pilots, and probably don't have need to wear a parachute on this flight.

To demonstrate the local level of paranoia; a local Granger IN health store sold out of its supply of Iodine.  First, you just want to say "You know, it isn't always about you" and then wonder what the effects of ingesting Iodine are if you aren't experiencing radiation poisoning.

Of course, with my twisted mindset...  I hear "Radioactivity" and "Japan" and "The Sea" and first thing I think of, as a worst-case scenario is:

GODZLLA!

Ace; that's all they need, about now...

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Ok, maybe Mothra could drop a bucket on the way over.

The whole "entombment" principle apparently is the giving up on water and cooling (since they can't, and it isn't) and basically just try to seal it off.  I don't really remember the Chernobyl details and decisions, but apparently that was how they went on that.  They can't get power to the in-plant pumps that would normally handle the flow, and the water cannons can't reach, and the choppers are blowing water when they drop it.  So, yeah, another tidal wave would probably work ok. 

Ok; "Best Godzilla Song" would have to be... well, Blue Oyster Cult.

Ace; that was tough.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

I saw that!  I remember Rock Star Supernova, where the ex-bassist from Metallica and the ex-guitarist from Guns and Roses (of which there are only 20 or 30) and Tommy Lee picked that strange Canadian guy as lead singer, and promptly went into a black hole. 

This just in:
(CBS/AP) Japanese engineers conceded on Friday that they may have to bury the crippled Fukushima Dai Ichi nuclear plant in sand or encase it in concrete to try to contain the radiation.

However, entombing the facility is considered a last resort and engineers are still hoping to restore power and restart water pumps in order to cool the overheating nuclear rods, Reuters reports.

"It is not impossible to encase the reactors in concrete. But our priority right now is to try and cool them down first," an official from the plant operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co, said at a news conference, according to Reuters.

Best Game With Chernobyl As A Setting:  Call Of Duty Modern Warfare (1).

Ace; another easy one.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I haven't figured out how the reactors can be buried in sand, concrete, etc., but not in water. If they can't get close enough to the reactors to spray them with a garden hose, how are they gonna shovel dirt into them?

Maybe they'll just nuke them.

I'm not having any radioactive songs coming to mind, but Radio Ga Ga by Queen was okay. It was certainly different.

When I lived in California years ago, our power company was Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E). Pigs, Goats and Elephants is what we called them.

Scuzzy; I wonder if they've tried moving up to a 100' water hose.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

I figure dirt and concrete fall better without spraying, unlike water.  And it doesn't turn to steam as quickly.

It's easy enough to get up close.  Once.
I hope that song didn't create Lady GaGa.  Talk about radioactive, plus a monster.
Ace; watching the Madness, and lazing on a Saturday Afternoon.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Well, yes. Queen helped give us Lady Gaga. She was greatly inspired by them and her stage name was derived from the Radio Ga Ga song.

Scuzzy; Lady GagGag would have been better.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Since the whole gaga gala is overdone, the Best Radio Song Ever in my estimation is "Radio Radio" by Elvis Costello.

I can't think of any great Tsunami songs.  I guess "Ebb Tide" would be close.  I did like the Hawaii Five-O theme since I'm a Ventures fan since my childhood.  Wipe Out was good, and so's Surfin' Bird.  Plus "Pipeline" is a classic.

I guess on dirt, that Johnny Cash Hurt song about an empire of dirt or "16 Tons" would be appropriate on covering up a reactor problem.

Ace; a tsunami must be twice as bad as a onenami.

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

Well there was Seventh Wave, don't know if anyone ever listened to their stuff but I remember back, when. They had a sort of progressive sound. And then there was Nektar's, A Tab in the Ocean, very progressive and somewhat spacey as I remember. A couple of contenders for Tsunami songs.

And yeah, what about that new Hawaii Five Oh. I like it. I've been keeping up with it since we have the On-Demand service with the cable and you can catch up with it and don't have to make sure you at home at the right time to see it.

Book-em Dan-O....
SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Shoot Pat; that triggered my recollection.  Topographic Oceans.  Yes.  That was one boatload of fun.  461 Ocean Blvd.  Sea of Love.  Three Little Fishies.  Indian Lake (which is actually right between us). 
May This Be Love by Hendrix ("Waterfall...").

Anyway, my Alltime Favorite Song of Japan:  Turning Japanese by The Vapors.

Ace; Sukiyaki was pretty cool, too.

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

It occurs to me that the closest may be by Deep Purple. "Smoke on the water and fire in the skies."

Not that I was ever much of a fan mind you.

SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Scuzzy's deteriorating condition reminded me of "Deteriorata" - the Lampoon parody of "Desiderata" and that whole "you are a child of the universe".... stuff. 
with the lead in: You are a fluke of the universe. You have no right to be here.
I'll tell ya, if you want to get some big-pantsed squirrel ticked off just throw them a rotten peanut.

Ace; like they ever offer to buy.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Today's news suggests "exposed core reactors" in Japan, as workers wound up getting burns wading in the cooling pool.  And the US is shipping water in by ship (that alone sounds ironic).  Also, the US military will help with the problem... hopefully not by using the means currently applied in Libya, or as we'd done before over there.

I did read that the French shot down a Libyan plane while it was parked on the runway.  I guess that's as complete as a no-fly zone is going to get.  I hope nobody decides "no parking" should have the same means to an end.

Ace; I could see Scuzzy shooting out my tires when I drive by the lot...

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

I just noticed "wound" (up) and "wound" are strikingly similar.  Plus 'heal' and 'heel." 
Hey; what did the guy yell at his wounded dog, who wouldn't sit still?

"Heal!  Heal!"

Ace; I think "Hurt" should become the new Japanese anthem.  Or Libya, if they could carry a tune.  Toon.