Forgot your password?

EcoSmart 40-watt equivalent LED Bulb

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I went to our local Home Depot store last night to pick up some needed items. While I was there I wandered through the light bulb section and I noticed some new LED lights. One of them, an EcoSmart 40-watt equivalent LED bulb, was selling for $9.97 ea.

I had enough funds on a gift card, so I decided to buy a couple. Using my Army retiree ID card, I saved 10% on the purchase. It brought the total to just under $18 before tax.

The package stated they were dimmable, so I tested that feature first. Sure enough, they dimmed as well an incandescent bulb but without the irritating shrill incandescent bulbs sometimes give off. At full brightness, they gave off as much light as the 60-watt bulbs nearby. Also nice is that they come on to full brightness instantly, no different than an incandescent.

The only thing not to like is that the EcoSmart LED bulbs do not light up with the full circumference that an incandescent does. In other words, if you face the bulb straight down from the ceiling, the light comes down at slightly less than a 180 degree angle (just an estimate from my point of view). For most applications, that won't really matter and probably won't be noticeable. But they are not the best choice for a table lamp.

Overall I'm happy. Considering that they only use 8 watts and are suppose to last 45+ years, it's not a bad deal. They are warranted for 5 years.