Forgot your password?

T-Mobile CellSpot

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Just an update: I returned the CellSpot router to my local T-Mo store earlier today. When I arrived home I called my T-Mo customer care to order a CellSpot signal booster. The woman I spoke with was very pleasant and knowledgeable. The new signal booster will be delivered by Friday this week.

I did ask to ensure the version that I will receive will support 700 MHz (Band 12). She told me that I will be receiving the latest unit that will support 5G.

I'll update here once I have it up and running.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I hope your experience is as good as George's.  He is very happy with his T-Mo signal now.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

He has a signal booster, and an ASUS router like ours.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Well then, that's good news. It gives me hope that it will improve the signal at my home. Voice works okay, but mobile internet has always been hit or miss here, mostly miss. I look forward to 600 MHz being activated in this area.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

George started with zero signal in the house. It is now 5 bars everywhere in their house.  No reason yours should be different.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I received the CellSpot signal booster yesterday and installed it. There is no doubt that I have a better signal through the house, but it doesn't match the signal I receive downtown. Still, it is an improvement and I would call the signal "usable" compared to what it was.

The 5 bars that I now get throughout the house is deceptive. It doesn't mean that the phone now has a high-quality connection to the outside world, so much as that I have a great connection to the transmitter inside the house. I'll try moving the window unit to another location to see if I can improve the signal. In it's current location, the window unit is showing 3 of 5 bars.

My mobile data is now averaging between 1MB and 3MB down, whereas downtown I get as much as 50MB. Before the signal booster I was often getting far less than 1MB, and sometimes less than 1/2 MB. The improvement is sufficient that I can now stream iHeart continuously with few hiccups.

It didn't cost me anything and it did provide an improvement, so it stays.

EDIT: I moved the window unit over a couple feet and it improved the signal by another bar. I just checked and got 5MB down. I'd say that's a win. :)

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Good news, I'll bet that if you think about it some you could find a way to make it even better.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I think it's as good as it's going to get. I spent an hour yesterday toying around with different locations, and found that where it is now offers the best signal boost. Until T-Mobile increases its coverage in this area, it's probably as good as it's going to get.