Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

• The Ghost who walks. Slowly.

Well, I can't see trading or stealing down from a 99 Taurus to a 1994 Honda Accord.  If I was going to steal, or swap, I'd hope it would be value-added.
Like a police car.  heck, those things are sturdy, and have cool features like laptops and light bars and guns, and even with the decreased trunk space and back seat barricade I'd still see it as attractive.  Probably a newer Impala.

Ace; I don't want one that has a German Shepherd riding in the back, though.

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

We had are car taken. Ok, let me rephrase that. It's not like we asked someone to take it, they, the "perps", just took it upon themselves to help themselves to it.

It went down like this, my wife went out to get in her car after work and it wasn't there. After the police got there it was determined that the car next to hers was also a stolen model. So they just dumped that one and took another. We did get our car back about three weeks later, it was found abandoned at a local mall. The back window was broken out and it had an extra 1000 or so miles on it and a few scratches, but we had it fixed up and drove it for several more years.

Forgive me if I've told this story before.
SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

You know, what you could have done is traded you car for that other stolen one.  Was it nicer?  That would sort of be like a moving used car lot, where you can swap cars.  Well, car.  I guess the inventory is pretty limited.

I hate that sense of "violation" of having a car broken into, let alone lifted.  Or finding someone has tried to break into my house (they weren't successful).  Cold weather adds risks, since there are nights when I hate to lock the car because it's so stupidly cold out.  And I'll let it run for awhile in the morning before taking off (and don't lock the doors, so as not to risk losing track of both sets of keys, although I probably should). 

I found my Taurus has a lot of miles and dents and dings and the like, too.  Although it wasn't stolen.

Ace; dangit.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Since you're writing about your Taurus, have you had any tranny problems?

A couple months ago I helped one of our daughters buy a 2000 Taurus SE with 132k miles. Overall, we believed it to be in good condition. But a few weeks after she bought it, the tranny sprung a leak. Turned out to be a cracked casing. I've since learned that Ford has had a horrible reputation with most of their Taurus trannys. It seems many have an average life span of 100k miles.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Well, no.  Of course, I'm at about 96,400.  My wife's Sable rolled over a long time back, but hasn't had any transmission problems.  It seems about everything else has been replaced though. 

Ace; another thing to look forward to.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

When I saw that number I thought you were talking about your weight. Or the number of squirrels in your backyard.

We're still trying to figure out how to pick up the replacement transmission from Denver. One of our sons was going to pick it up, but it didn't pan out. With my work schedule it may be a few more days.

If my wife carried a saber I'd do whatever she says. More so than I do now.

Scuzzy; I'd avoid bridges if I were you.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Geez Louise, drive the Taurus.  That's the car that's going to get the transmission installed, so it only makes sense you'd take that car.

Ace; I can't believe how he misses the obvious sometimes.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

"Painsville"... sounds like my hometown.

I do have this removable face plate on my Sony CD player, but honestly got tired of taking it off and storing it... Hopefully the general appearance of my car is enough of a deterrent.

Look, on that rebuilt tranny, if you want I'll drive there and get it for you.  After the trip to Colorado I'd have to figure I'd need it anyway. 

Ace; I can't take off work though, so it's going to have to be an overnight trip.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Sounds good; what do you call it?

: man with no name

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Heh; J hijacked Scuzzy's stolen thread and took it nowhere.
You know, this is a lot like Odysseus blinding the Cyclops and getting him to holler "NoMan has blinded me!!"

Back to stolen cars; I see that the Impala is still not substantially upgraded again (until 2013?, when it barely will be) but it does have a new 3.6 300 hp V6 to allow it to go quicker to an empty tank.

Ace; expensive cars are healthy, since owners walk more due to having to park on the fringes of parking lots so as not to be near other cars...  My dream is to get several junkers and surround one of those, parking an inch or so away on each side.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Ace Hood; rapper.  8)

Ace; I think an accessory is kinda like arm candy, for someone.  I bet Ted Nugent's "trophy wife" is stuffed and mounted on his den wall...

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I don't know what's with Chevrolet. They seem bent on staying in the 1990's, or at least the early 2000's. Ford is at least much bolder in its newer car models, where Chevrolet is beginning to look stale.

Chrysler doesn't seem to matter much anymore. They'll probably go the route of Saab.

Scuzzy; still stuck on dirt roads.