Date: 28 March 24, 23:52 PM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Windows will not recognize thumb drive

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

I have a Lenovo Z565 laptop with Win 7. I insert a thumb drive but can't view the contents because windows doesn't recognize it. This has been going on for quite a while. At first, it would come back sporadically but not now. I can't tell if its a software or hardware problem The thumb drive is recognized in another computer it inserted it into. Thanks.

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

I read somewhere it may be a driver problem. I click on properties and click update driver and it says it is up to date.

I wonder if upgrading to Win 10 will help. I loathe to do this, however, since I'm afraid it will cause more problems.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I've had this problem in the past and resolved it by going into Device Manager, finding Universal Serial Bus controllers, right-click on USB Mass Storage Device, and then select Uninstall. Once it's uninstalled, restart Windows so that it will reinstall the device.

If that still doesn't work, uninstall each USB device one-by-one and then restart Windows again. Same for Generic USB Hub, if you have it.

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

Thanks but it had no effect. There were 2 usb references and I uninstalled them both as well as the 'generic'. I'm thinking win10 will resolve it?

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Don't even think about it.  My experience suggests what ever the problem while using Win 7 will be worse in Win 10.  Even though Device Manager says you have the latest drivers doesn't necessarily mean that's true. I have seen instances where the Driver ver. xxxxx is called up to date, but the driver itself is corrupt. Find new drivers, uninstall the ones you have and reinstall new ones.  Yes, I know it sounds counterintuitive but sometimes it works.

The other possibility is the USB port is at fault.  Have you tried the thumb drive in other USB ports, rebooting in between?
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I would avoid installing Windows 10. I have it on two of my systems and I have always regretted it.

I find it odd that you only had 2 USB references in Device Manager. As Bill mentioned, I suspect a possible hardware issue. Have you tried all available USB ports?

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

I got a screenshot. How do I paste it here.

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

At the top, it listed'USB Generic' something. I uninstalled it. It appeared to immediately attempt to reinstall it but failed. Now I've lost the mouse and external keyboard! How do I get it back??

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Anytime you remove anything from Device Manager, you must reboot the computer so that Windows will reinstall the driver.

To copy a screenshot here, first save it to your desktop. From the reply window, look toward the bottom and click the link "Attachments and other options." From there, browse for the file to attach it to your poast. You must do this from the actual reply window; it will not work from the "Quick Reply" at the bottom of the thread.  Note that the file size limit is 256KB..

It will look like this photo below (click the image for the full size):

[attachment deleted by admin]

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

I'm not getting a browse option. Just this:

- Attachments and other options
 Notify me of replies. Return to this topic. Don't use smileys.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

When you click the link "Attachments and other options", do you not have the option as shown in the screenshot below? I just checked the attachment settings, and I can't see any reason you wouldn't be able to attach a file. I'll also take a look at the member permissions, just in case I'm missing something:

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

Ok I now get the box. I selected the file. The name is in the box. I guess it has to be approved before it will display?

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

So what now?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I see the list, but I am not sure what your question is. Is this related to your mouse not working? Did you reboot your computer? I'll do the best I can to help you, but I need details as to what your current situation is and what you've done so far, if anything.

I also have to take off for a few hours. I'll be back later today.

I also deleted your second attachment, since it's exactly the same as the first.

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

There were 2 Mass Storage Devices. I uninstalled them plus the Generic thing. I rebooted and it had no effect. I was wondering if I reinstalled Win 7?

I got the Generic back and along with it the mouse and kb.Thanks for your assistance.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

You should first try a System File Checker (SFC /SCANNOW) repair. You must run this in a command window with administrative privileges. It won't take very long (should be less than 5 minutes), and it will repair files as needed.

To run the System File Checker in Windows 7, type COMMAND in the Start search box. In the result that appears, right-click on Command Prompt and select "Run As Administrator." Once you are in the Command Prompt window, type SFC /SCANNOW and press Enter.

If any corruptions are found, SFC will replace the broken files on reboot.

If SFC still does not resolve your dilemma, and you strongly suspect the problem lies with Windows 7, then check this link:

Non-destructive Windows 7 Reinstall

If this final solution does not do the trick, then you have a hardware problem. Upgrading to Windows 10 won't resolve it either.

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

Thanks Scuzzy. I ran the program as explained and it said no "integrity violations" were found. I will do the 7 reinstall but can't get to it until Wed.

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

I looked at the link on the reinstall. There is a brief description but no way or method to do it, no link to reinstall or where to go to get it going. It appears they want you to sign up for a paid subscription which might then give you a link to the reinstall.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I see that now. I'm a paid subscriber so I see the entire article. I'll get back with you on this tonight after work.

Just be aware that the odds of a Windows 7 reinstall fixing the problem are low. I'm leaning toward a hardware problem. Regardless, a Windows 7 reinstall will give you a clean fresh start.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I'm sorry I didn't get back with you sooner. I came home with the toothache from hell, which for better or for worse is keeping me home today.

Is your email address (shown in your profile) up to date? If so, I'll email the instructions to that address. If you want me to send it to a different email address, send me the info in a personal message. Do not place your email address here in the public forum, as you wouldn't want a spam bot having the address.  ;)

Sending a personal message is easy. Click 'My Messages' near the top of the forum screen, and then click 'New Message' on the left-hand side. In the 'To' field, simply enter scuzzy.