Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Gmail Users Tip: How to Restore Deleted Gmail Messages

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Open your Gmail "Inbox" page

Click on "Settings" icon (upper right of page, looks like a little gear)

Click on "Settings" in the drop-down menu

Click on "Labels" (at top of the new drop-down menu)

Scroll down to "Trash" and click on "Show"

Done. Now you'll find a "Trash" button on your "Inbox" page

That button, once added, stays on your Gmail page (it restores Gmails that have been deleted up to 30 days before)

Should you accidently delete a Gmail message, you can now quickly restore it

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

After I delete a message, I immediately go to the trash folder and "empty the trash". When I delete messages, I really do want them gone now and forever more. Lol

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Most Gmail users will not see a "Trash" button on their Gmail "Inbox" page.

My tip allows them to add that button. Scuzzy, how do you go to your trash folder ?

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I can't speak for scuzzy, but if I right click on a message, one of the options in the drop down is "delete forever".

I not sure I like the new Gmail interface.....
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Bill, I'm using that Trash button on my Gmail Inbox page to restore Gmails I have deleted, but since have had a reason to look at them again

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Mine currently looks like this. I just click the Trash link.

Bill, if you go to the settings (gear icon top/right) you can select "Go back to classic Gmail".

Scuzzy; which is what I did.

[attachment deleted by admin]

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Maybe only the latest version of Gmail has an inoperable Trash button on the Inbox page.  That was why I had to search for (and found) a way to make that button operable.

I sure hope you guys keep Poasters Forums going.  You've been a great source for me.  Best wishes,     Ken

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Scuzzy, I did that and at the bottom of the page there is a notice, "Gmail will update in two weeks." And it provides an option to upgrade now or in two weeks.  Hopefully this option will continue.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I got the same message last week, but I'm betting the legacy option will continue. Google is pushing a new update, so everyone gets updated whether we like it or not. After the update is pushed we should be able to go back to the classic email.

I have been using Google Voice for years. They updated it a couple years back, and the legacy option continues. Same thing with Google Contacts. Then again, Google Calendar received a recent update without a legacy option, but it mostly got a cleaner look. There were no significant changes as to how the calendar operates.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I've had the Gmail update for a few days now. It looks like Google decided what's best for us and gave us no way to opt for the legacy theme.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Very annoying, one would think Google Mail is owned by MS!  I liked it the way it was....