Date: 18 April 24, 04:25 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Firefox 4 final

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

Firefox 4 has gone to final release, the offical site is not updated yet but it can be had here from Neowin.

I just installed and will comment latter.
SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

And here's the official release over at Mozilla.

I have a lot on my plate this week, but I'll try to at least install it on my laptop. From initial looks, it seems a worthwhile update from v3.6. I look forward to some of the new features, such as the "App Tab" that creates shortcuts on the menu bar for quick access to favorite websites.

Scuzzy; every time I try to update Ace, I get stuck in an endless loop of errors.

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

So far, so good, for me. The one thing that stands out is the improved add on manager. It really makes it easy to manage add-ons as well as easy access to see more.

SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

Yes it did, all of my current add ons carried over just fine. Except I did turn the menu bar back on, just to used to it being there.

I think the only real way to see what "new" install looks like to to completely remove the old version.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Thanks, that's helpful. I know it's a major upgrade from v3.6, but I'd rather keep as much of my customization as possible.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to upgrade soon. It's been a very busy week and the next day or two isn't looking too good. Maybe I can stay up late tonight and give it a whirl.

Scuzzy; Ace needs a whirl or two.

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

I suppose if you're really, really into Firefox. Its current download progress can be tracked here.

By all accounts it has blown IE9 away in numbers of 1st day downloads and the reviews I've read are very positive, but then again most reviews I've read for IE9 are quite positive as well. I did do the update to IE9 and I just can't comment so much as I just don't ever use it enough to form an opinion. It's not like I don't prefer the MS program over Mozilla just because it's from MS. I've always preferred the MS email program(s) over Mozilla's offerings I use Windows Live Mail currently. I guess I just like what I like.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I suppose I'm really, really into Firefox, as opposed to that I'm really, really not into Internet Explorer.

Scuzzy; I know what I don't like.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I installed F4.0 on my laptop this morning. It is sweet and was worth the wait.

I really like the "App Tabs" feature and wish someone had thought of that sooner.

Scuzzy; Ooooo...

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

• The Ghost who walks. Slowly.

I download Firefox 4 last night; for some reason it disappeared after I had it on (after I installed Chrome...?).  I always find the bookmarks difficult in Firefox (just don't ever seem to be able to look at them all at once as in IE; they seem always categorized).  Did notice the pull down menus were different but haven't tried anything else yet to do more.  I don't typically go with it or Chrome, but need Mozfox to access a particular software we use at work.

Ace; there are probably a few hundred MS updates waiting, at home.