Date: 28 March 24, 23:57 PM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Amazon Fire Stick

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Yesterday I swapped my Roku Stick for the Fire Stick.  The Roku was OK except that it often locked up and required rebooting frequently. Early last week I had to reboot three nights in a row; enough already.
The Fire Stick is just short of amazing. The version I bought came with the Assistant Alexa, a very helpful bit of technology.
Setup was very easy assuming you know all your passwords for the network and subscription services.  I also had to change my payment method for NetFlix; Roku was paying, it's now direct via PayPal.

Using the voice remote, You can search for any content, anywhere.  I listened to some music that came from somewhere but not on my computer. You can however ask photos that are on your computer. Switching between streaming services was as simple as a voice command.  And rather than scrolling through screen after screen of movies on Netflix or Amazon, I could simply ask for a title, or a subject.
On sale FireStick is $29.95, Roku was $48+.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I'm glad that worked out for you. It's funny because my experience was opposite. The Amazon Fire Stick (I had 2 units) was nothing but heartache, so I replaced them with Roku Sticks. Eventually I switched to a full size unit in the master bedroom. Initially I had to reboot often, but after some firmware updates that resolved the problem. I don't recall when I last had to reboot either unit.

I manage my Netflix account online, including my list. I find that works well for our needs.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I will look at managing on line, sounds easier. Thanks.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Just for clarity, I manage my Netflix account directly at netflix.com; payments, settings, etc. I was not aware that you could do it any other way.

Hey, you could always switch your cell service to T-Mo and get Netflix included as part of the deal. :)

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Yes, me too. I set up a List and made some selections yesterday. But last evening when I started Netflix I didn't see my List.

BTW George and K just switched to T-Mo last week.  Used their own phones with new simm card.  I will ask about free Netflix.  So far, they don't see a real difference, but saved $30/month.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

T-Mo is better than ever. It worked great on my MC trip last year. As I recall, the signal worked great at your home. You can get a single line for $70 (fees/taxes incl), or the senior special which is 2 lines for the same price. I don't know if the senior deal includes Netflix though.

On Roku, I select Netflix and then scroll to my list. It's often at the top.

Scuzzy; off to work.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

After my phone upgrade a year ago, my VZ bill is $35.00 for calls and data, and $40 hardware installment for my phone.  Total is $79+/- for now.  After next Jan. when the Moto is paid off, it should drop to less than $40./month.  Since VZ changed their rate plans a single phone T-Mo account isn't as attractive.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Chandler

Poastal Moderator
Posts 4156
Report to moderator

I'm quite pleased with the 2nd gen Fire TV Stick. I have one in the kitchen/diner, and it fits nicely behind a 21 inch TV on the wall. I've had the Fire TV Stick for about a year now, and in the early days it locked up or rebooted every so often, but it's been running nicely for the last few months. I also have the now-discontinued 2nd gen Fire TV box, and it's noticeably more responsive for certain tasks, but as a media player there's not much difference, unless you need Ethernet (which I did, where that box is located).

I believe that the original Fire TV Stick (without the voice remote) was an absolute dog, but I'm only going on what I'd read in reviews/comments.

Trialed Netflix a couple of times, but the UK service left me disappointed, so now I'm either watching Amazon Prime Video, YouTube via the Smart YouTube TV app (love LGR, The 8-Bit Guy, Ashens and a few other channels) or just content from my local Emby server or MythTV DVR via Kodi. The Stick struggles a bit with live TV from MythTV in Kodi, whereas the Fire TV 2nd gen box handles it fine.

Shame that there's only minimal integration with other Amazon devices - I have a few Echos dotted around the house to control lights and stuff, and when you have multiple Echos, it's possible to ask one of them to start playing music on another one elsewhere in the house, but the same doesn't work for the Fire TV. So if I'm doing something messy in the kitchen I can happily ask the Echo to start playing music, hands-free, but if I want to start some video, I have to pick up the Fire TV remote and speak to that. Nice that the Fire TV can wake up the TV using HDMI.

Android app is good, but I tend not to use it. I don't like using my phone as a remote, in case I accidentally swipe to answer an unwanted call whilst not paying attention.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I probably have the original Fire Stick. I was so disappointed with the overall experience that I never bothered looking if something new came around to replace it. Now I'm so happy with the Roku, that's I don't have any motivation to try Amazon's offering again. Maybe someday that will change.

I hope all is well on your side of the pond, Chandler.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Hi Chandler, nice to hear from you. The Fire Stick gen 2 is not perfect although I like voice control for the remote.  I have had several instances where I have paused a movie and Fire Stick lost the Netflix connection.  Cannot be my Super Duper Asus Router, signal strength is on overkill, although there is a Firmware upgrade I haven't done yet.

Since we are running two topics in this thread........ George and Karen had next to no T-Mo signal in their house.  T-Mo sent then a piece of tech. called a Cell Spot that operates on phone signals, not WiFi.  Both of their phones cannot do native wifi calling.  The Cell Spot behaves like a mini cell tower and they now have 5 full bars of signal anywhere in the house and at the perimeter of their property.