Forgot your password?

Pros vs. Amateurs

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Part of my new job function is to evaluate keyboard solutions for our patrol cars. I have already researched and tried a few "cheap" solutions, which provided less than desirable results. The keyboards were okay for home use, but they could not withstand the rigors of a patrol car. So I hit the Internet again and found some reasonably priced industrial keyboards. However, I quickly became discouraged after contacting the vendors. In short, the employees are stunning idiots; incapable of properly representing their company or their product.

So my next step was to focus on finding reputable vendors. This was another bit of effort, but I hit jackpot with two small businesses. They have the right product, the employees (maybe the owners/partners?) are knowledgeable and helpful, and the prices are reasonable. Clearly wanting to earn our business, they quickly sent out several demo units for us to evaluate. One of the two bent over backwards in researching our needs and sending out 3 demos. It was a very pleasant surprise.

A third business wanted to work with us as well, and the rep put together some quotes for a large quantity order based on our needs (very far north of 100 units). I received an email from him this morning reference the quotes, and after showing interest in their medical grade keyboard I nicely asked for a demo unit. While the rep was not rude, he was quick to let me know that they don't send out demos but that I could pay the full price, plus shipping, for a "sample" unit.

I'll give you one guess which business is completely out of the running.  ::)

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Duh.......
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I wonder how much keyboard $30 gets you. I can't imagine that the quality is there, but you never know.

This is one of the "interesting" samples being sent to me for review. It has LED back lighting, and the number pad doubles as a touchpad. I should have my paws on it this upcoming Tuesday: Backlit Silicone Keyboard