Date: 29 March 24, 01:42 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

can't install a mouse

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

I've got windows 7, 64 bit, on lenovo Z565 laptop. I went on a trip, returned and I apparent left the mouse somewhere. I tried to install several mouses, including a new logitech M510. The computer is connected to the net and windows is set to "automatic updates" per instructions. I put the little doodad into the usb port, which I've always used in the past. It says attempting to update, then message" driver was not successfully installed. Message on every mouse.

On the M510, i went to their website and downloaded the install software first.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

The unifying transceiver should have nothing to do with software updates.  The message you should be getting is preparing to pair, or something to that effect.  I have had problems with Setpoint software before.  But I would uninstall or delete any Logitech mouse software and start fresh from the Logitech website.
I think I would also run Malwarebytes first and do a clean reboot before attempting to reinstall Setpoint.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

As Bill mentioned, it seems your mouse is not pairing with the dongle.

Go to Logitech's download site (Wireless Mouse M510), and then download and launch the latest SetPoint software. Then simply follow the on screen instructions to pair the mouse with the USB transceiver. That should resolve the problem. If not, check the M510 troubleshooting steps.

BTW: I don't use the Logitech supplied software. I simply plug and play the device into my computer, and Windows installs the driver. I only occasionally use the SetPoint software if I don't get a good connection between the mouse and the transceiver.

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

THanks for the input. I've been unable to address this due to work. I found that plugging the logitech receiver into another usb port worked. I don't know why it doesn't work in the usual port I use for the mouse, on the right side of the computer. I then discovered I hadn't lost my original mouse. I didn't take it on the trip so I have it plugged into the computer as before and it works fine. The logiteck is for the so whose computer is windows 8. It worked immediately out of the box on that computer.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Glad you got it sorted out.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit