Forgot your password?

LG G6 Smartphone

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Our current Motorola smartphones are now 2 years old. While they are still holding up, I'm aware that they are getting closer to the end of their usable life. With that in mind, I'll likely get new phones for the family later this year.

I'm in no hurry whatsoever, but the soon-to-be-released LG G6 currently has my attention. The phone is unique with a 2:1 screen ratio, and it's sized at 5.7". That makes the screen tall and narrow, which oddly appeals to me. Unless my current phone unexpectedly goes belly-up, it isn't likely that I would buy the phone immediately on its release. I'd much rather wait a few months to see how well the phone holds up in reviews, and to take advantage of lower prices and sale events once the phone loses some of its brand-new luster.

Android Authority: LG G6 Smartphone

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

While any company can produce a star once in a while, LG, as I'm sure you're aware, has had a couple of belly-up experiments in the recent past.  And, LG is definitely not high on my list of good tech companies.  My conservative nature says stick with the perennial leaders.  Given the disaster that was the HTC 10, and my positive thoughts about the Motorola replacement, my next search will start with the then current offering of Motorola.

However the linked review was generally positive except with the voice concern over the camera(s).
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I agree with your assessment, which is part of the reason I'll wait a few months before dropping any coin on the phone. I would certainly take the camera's performance into consideration, but unless the camera is a flop it likely won't have a big impact on my decision. I'm willing to bet that the camera's performance will be far superior to that of my old Moto X.

Time will tell. After all, no rush.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Hopefully I can put this off until the end of the year. It will be interesting to see what the new Pixel smartphones will look like, as well as whatever new models Motorola comes up with. Hopefully they'll have good waterproofing.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

New Pixels are likely to be even more expensive, when I was looking they were $700+ retail. 
I wonder how important waterproofing really is.  I think in the last 10 years I can recall only one, maybe two incidents.  First time it fell from my pocket into the dog's water bowl, second time into the toilet, I think.

A quick search looks like the random Bluetooth issue still bugs some Pixel phone users.  The Moto Droid Z I am using now has more bells and whistles than I will ever use.  About the only thing Moto could do for me would be to simplify the install process for widgets.  Took me almost 30 minutes to figure out how to install a weather/time widget to the home screen, but that's just me.

Seems the longer you can wait, the better.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

The thing with waterproofing is that you don't need it until you need it. And when you need it, you need it. It's built in insurance, just in case.

The Pixels are expensive, but I'd be willing to consider the current crop when they drop prices to make room for the new. Bluetooth currently has little significance for me. Regardless of make, my preference is to buy an unlocked smartphone direct from the manufacturer to avoid the carrier installed crap.