Date: 18 April 24, 11:49 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

"Search-Everything" program failed me for the first time ever

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Using my "Search-Everything" program I was looking for an existing file on my hard drive titled "Desktop"

For some reason "Desktop" was not found !

How could that happen ?

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I haven't a clue. I use Search Everything and it has never failed.  For starters, I would get a fresh copy of Search Everything and install it, after removing the old one.  It might also be that the title confused it, "Desktop" nomenclature is use on computers for other things besides a file name.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

I reinstalled Everything 1.4.1.935 (x64)

Program can't find Desktop, desktop or desk top

So strange since I've previously used "desktop" many times as a file title, and always found such title with Everything

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

I have a valid folder titled "DesktopOK", and two valid files titled "Desk top" and "Desktop"

When I start my search with "Desk" or "desk' ----- nothing

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

hoosier, under Search there is an option to "Match Path".  If you know where the files are, make sure Match Path is checked and then type the path into the search box.  Lets see if you tell the program where to look it finds the file.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Sorry Bill, but I need a road map to understand what "type the path into the search box" means  (I have the Match Path checked under Search)

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

The "path" is simply how you get to a file i.e.  computer/local disk (c:)/program files/Macrium/Reflect/Common/MacriumService

is the path to get to the Macrium exe file to start the program.

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

My "Everything" search program got much worse this week. It eventually couldn't find anything. Once again I uninstalled and reinstalled the program. As of now it seems all is working as it should. Mystery not solved, but I'll live with that.

Thanks all for replies