Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Laser mice acceleration.

Traveller

Poaster
Posts 382
Report to moderator

Hi all.

Has anyone had any experience of using a laser mouse for normal/office, non-gaming use?

If so, is mouse acceleration noticeable at all? From what I have read on the net, laser mice nowadays, for some unknown reason, have some acceleration built into the actual mouse, which cannot be disabled, even by disabling pointer precision, etc, in the Control Panel.

Another thing I want to ask is if it is possible to somehow assign a function to a mouse button (the extra mouse buttons apart from the main three) which will retain its function when the mouse is plugged into any computer, for example, via firmware or something?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I've been using only laser mice for years, and I never game. As far as acceleration is concerned, I've never noticed anything different or out of the ordinary. I simple adjust the mouse driver settings to my liking and never give it a second thought.

As for assigning functions to mouse buttons, it's merely whatever the software allows. I have not used Logitech software in years, but I recall they gave users many options to choose from. But it only works with the computer on which the software is installed. There is no way to permanently assign functions to mouse buttons that will carry from computer to computer.

Traveller

Poaster
Posts 382
Report to moderator

Hi scuzzy, thanks for the info.

Have you used an optical mouse any time after having gotten used to laser mice? Maybe if you noticed a lack of acceleration with an optical, then maybe I would also notice a difference if I used a laser.

Yes, unfortunately, using software not already on Windows is out of the question.

Thanks.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I too have been using laser mice for a long time.  The Logitech software is an easy download and it's been  much better in recent years.  It allows probably 10 or 12 options assignable to extra an button.  I use the Logitech software rather than relying on Windows because of those options I mentioned.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Traveller

Poaster
Posts 382
Report to moderator

Thanks Bill, unfortunately, the reason software can't be used is due to the mouse being used on a company network computer where users cannot/are not allowed to have software installed on the company system.

It's just whatever Windows already has and even then a lot of it is restricted for the users!

I'm considering a laser mouse but they do have acceleration built in and I want my cursor's movement to correspond EXACTLY with my hand/mouse movements/speed.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

One thing you might try is to ask IT or the System Admin if there are mouse controls available.  The laser should be the same speed as your current mouse. 
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Traveller

Poaster
Posts 382
Report to moderator

Hi Bill.

The basic Windows Control Panel settings are available. The IT people don't support a user's own equipment.

It's the 'acceleration' that I'm worried about. From what I have read, modern laser mice have it built in and can't be turned off. As far as I understand, the cursor moves a greater distance the faster the mouse is moved, even if the mouse itself is move the same distance.

Maybe those who have gotten used to laser mice may not notice that this happens and sees it as normal and similarly, those who are used to optical mice will think that their mouse is 'normal'.

Thanks.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Click on Mouse in the Control Panel and you should see a "slider" for how fast or slow you want the mouse to move.  Scuzzy was right, a mouse by itself has no built in anything.

Edit: I'm sorry the slider I was looking at was for double click speed.  However there are no accelerators in mice.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I just checked and my laser mouse has built-in acceleration. As you mentioned, I'm simply used to it. Also, Windows does not provide a method to adjust the acceleration. I have no idea if Logitech provides a means, but I do know that some gaming software does.

Technically a laser mouse is an optical mouse. Both use optical sensors that are quite similar. A "laser" mouse does not really have a laser sensor. It would be more accurate to call a laser mouse "laser-illuminated", as its sensor uses a laser for illumination. An "optical" mouse uses infrared or red LED. Both have CMOS sensors that take thousands of pictures per second of the surface below the mouse to determine the proper direction and distance of the pointer.

I do not recall specifically owning an optical mouse. I may have long ago and simply don't remember. Either way I'm sorry I cannot offer any advice in that department.

Traveller

Poaster
Posts 382
Report to moderator

Thanks Bill/scuzzy.

No problems, no apologies needed, simply taking the time to respond to my poast is more than appreciated!

If I do decide to get a laser mouse, I will poast back with the results.