Forgot your password?

Dark Sky Weather App

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Well, dang it. The party is over. I was using Dark Sky weather app on my Android smartphone, but Apple purchased the popular weather app back in March 2020. They were going to turn it off to Android users on July 1st, but postponed the date to August 1st. They pulled the plug yesterday and reimbursed my $2.99 subscription.

Knowing that the days were numbered, I installed Today Weather app a few weeks ago. It isn't bad, but it's not in the same league as Dark Sky. Now if I want the Dark Sky weather app it will have to be on iOS, which I will probably switch to in a few months anyway.

Scuzzy; it was a dark and gloomy night.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I have a paid subscription to The Weather Channel app -$9.99/yr - and it's just OK. I've tried Accuweather and quickly uninstalled.There is an Android weather app that's not to bad, I just don't remember the name and it's not on my phone any longer, but check the Play Store.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Unfortunately I got spoiled by Dark Sky. I searched high and low before settling on Today Weather, which probably comes closest to the Dark Sky app. Today Weather has over a dozen data sources to pick from, including Dark Sky. However, that's numbered as well until the end of next year. Besides, it's not the same as having the Dark Sky app.

I tried the Weather Channel app, but I deleted it almost as fast as I installed it.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

i discovered, I think, the WC app is designed to be annoying to drive you to subscribe.  The paid version is acceptable.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

One issue I'd like to change with Dark Sky is temp reporting, specifically on the Apple Lock screen.  Many weather apps report bits and pieces but I cannot find a setting to allow Dark Sky to do this. Is there one?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I'm not entirely following your request, but I did notice some limitations with Dark Sky on iOS. However, it was many of the same limitations I had with iOS as a whole. I never figured out any way of making adjustments to Dark Sky and the lock screen, but I may not have looked hard enough.

The sad part of leaving iOS is that I will very much miss Dark Sky.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I may have found a solution via Google/Apple weather app. The preference is to have a time/temp/weather data on the lock screen always.  The directions say it takes 24 hours to coordinate the Do Not Disturb function -no, I don't understand, but I am going to give it a try. This set of directions is pre-Dark Sky and references a Weather app that is no longer on my phone. 
I will let you know.........
This did not work, however, turning on Dark Sky Summary yesterday produced a 3-4 line  weather forecast on the lock screen this morning.