Date: 29 March 24, 01:21 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Some changes

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

So, I have some new goodies to start off the new year with. Had a little trouble with my old system (fixed now) but I gave away my oldest system and what was my every-day system is now my backup. Check my sig for latest and greatest. Most of that was in my HTPC, which has also changed somewhat.

I ended up with one of those Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State as my boot drive. Got that back on black Friday for 224$ with a 65$ rebate. Came with an external enclosure that I'll most likely never use and a cool screwdriver. Using a WD 1 TB for storage drive. Moved my  Sapphire 6850 and  motherborad and cpu form HTPC system and that's about it.

In my HTPC I put an Aspock 970 extreme3 motherboard. Nice board, my first with the newer BIOS that you can use a mouse in, still playing around with this but so far, thumbs up. Bought an OEM Phenom 2 x4 925 2.8 Denab 2.8 GHz with a HIS 6750 and 8 gigs Gskill.

Other than those new parts I reused all my old parts. I did pick up one of these, Rosewill Hard drive enclosure I put a WD Green 500 gb drive in that for back up and sharing. It works well and is seems to be as quick as any other drive in the computer.

That's about it, everything has a fresh OS install and I'm good to go for the new year.
SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

How has this worked out for you, Pat? Are the systems fast? How's the noise level? Are you liking Radeon cards?

I'm thinking I might build one last system for myself in the next 1+ year. I'll probably look for the latest/greatest at the time and sink a few bucks into a powerhouse that hopefully won't sound like a jet.

I'm thinking a Samsung 128GB or 256GB SSD, backed with an internal HDD and one external HDD. I'm also liking this Samsung Blu-Ray player DVD burner.

I'm not impressed with Win8. Unless I see a drastic change for the better, I'll stick with Win7.

I see you have a SeaSonic PSU. I'm considering one of their platinum editions, which will likely set me back much more than I'm used to paying for a PSU.

Scuzzy; I'm used to paying too much. I just filled my car with gasoline. Ouch.

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

Actually working out well.

Not sure how to answer to how fast they are. They are fast enough for me as they do everything I need to do in a reasonable amount of time.

Here's what the windows index has to say for primary system.
Processor, 7.2
Ram, 7.5
Graphics, 7.7
Graphics Gaming, 7.7
Primary Hard Disk, 7.3

Main system is very quiet, that is the one with the Seasonic power supply, the Radeon 6850 and the Noctua heatsink and fans, which are some of the quietest, best performing fans I've ever had.

HTPC is somewhat louder, I think it's more to do with the case, which is thin Aluminum and very vented and also quite out in the open. It's certainly not loud and once a show is playing you can't hear it.

At this point I have no desire to move to Windows 8, just doesn't do anything for me. I think MS is making a mistake trying to make an OS that works the same for a tablet as a desktop. Sure make one for a tablet, but I don't see how they couldn't make one tailored to each format.

SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Scuzzy,

IMO you don't need to spend all that for the 256G SSD.  After more than 2 years, my 80G SSD is a little less than half full.  I use the Veloci Raptor as backup and for data storage and place Windows backups on my third drive.  I'm just sayin'.....

Bill
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Good point, Bill. Since I store all my files to secondary hard drives and Dropbox, there's no sense in wasting money on storage that I won't need.