Forgot your password?

What was your first car?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I purchased my first car in early 1973. It was a 1964-1/2 Ford Mustang. It had the straight 6-cylinder engine and a 3-speed transmission. I still remember buying it from a neighbor for $500.

I had the car for about 2 years before crashing it. I T-boned another driver in an intersection, and that driver promptly drove her car into a house. Fortunately, nobody was hurt. Although I was at fault, the accident was attributed to her because she did not have a drivers license. As far as the cops were concerned, it was her fault since she shouldn't have been driving in the first place.

Too bad I still don't have it. After the crash, I got about $75 for it at a junk yard. *Sigh*

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

My first car was a 1939 Chevy Coupe with a real rumble seat and running boards. It also was a straight 6 with a vacuum assisted manual 3 speed.  We were successful in converting to the "old fashioned" floor shift.   It took almost 6 months and many trips to salvage yards to get it to the point where it passed the NJ Inspection process.  Cars were real metal then.  I can recall an incident when a friend backed into the front fender.  And with a swing of a hammer the dent popped out.  That was 1961.  When it failed inspection the second year, I sold it.  Upgraded to a 1949 4 door Cadillac sedan, given to me by a friend of my parents.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

My first car was a 1961 Chevy Corvair.  I think it was 800.00.  I didn't want to learn to drive, had no desire.  My father brought it home and said here, you will learn and here are your payments.  I was 16.  Most days I still wish I had never learned, because even though my kids are now grown I feel like I have spent the last 30 years in a car, and still feel like I am in it all the time.
Carol
It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me'. - Erma Bombeck

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill, I would commit violent crimes to have one of those two cars. :)

I recall fighting with the NJ inspectors trying to get cars to pass through inspections. I had one rejected because the window would not "smoothly" roll down. On another date, while on a 2-week vacation to the USA from Europe, they rejected a newer model car because they refused to recognize my German issued US Forces drivers license. Aside from it being a valid drivers license in the USA, what the heck did that have to do with the mechanical condition of the car? I had to involve NJ state police to get it resolved.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Carol, I would commit violent crimes to have your first car. :) It was often referred to as "The poor man's Corvette."

If we only knew then what we know now... *sigh*.

And here I thought everyone wanted to drive. I assure you that nobody had to shove it down my throat. I was ready, willing and able. I could not wait. Years later, I have driven all over the USA, Mexico, S. Korea, and parts of Europe. Now I spend so much time in my patrol car that I have reached for my spot light, emergency lights, and siren in my personal car more times than I care to admit.  :-[ No, I'm not kidding.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

NJ DMV was such a pain in the neck.  And it got worse as environmental issues surfaced. 
Oddly though, SC does not have an inspection program but if you saw what's on the road down here they probably should have!  Although given the economy, many would be walking.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

My first car was also a Chevy Corvair, can't remember the model year. I do remember it was about 1970 that I got it though. It was black with red interior, I believe it had a 3 or 4 speed on the floor. It was fun to drive around in.
SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Well, mine was lt. tan.  My dad had a black one with red inside.  Can't remember the year.  I got mine in 1966 he had his earlier and by the time I had mine he was driving the newer model one.

Carol

[attachment deleted by admin]
It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me'. - Erma Bombeck

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Yes, if we only knew what we knew now on a lot of things.  I'm afraid I can imagine after driving in a patrol car all day reaching for those things in your own car.  There are a lot of days I wish I had them in my car I see so many idiot drivers.  After having a serious accident in 2006 due to someone's ignorance, it angers me a bit that they drive like they do and risk my life doing it.  Sorry, still a sore spot with me.

Carol

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

That's a great photo of the Corvair, Carol.

I sure wish I had access to our old family albums.

Well, I take any pictures anyone is willing to give.  When my mom died in 06 my dad pretty much gave me most of what was in their home.  And no one wanted the ones in RI so I came home will all those.  And then my sweet son gave me a netbook for my birthday last year to haul around to family houses that I visit and I bring my scanner and that is how I get the rest of them.  And any family that I email and can't visit I exchange pictures with them if they are willing to share.

Carol

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

• The Ghost who walks. Slowly.

You guys and your Corvairs... criminy, they were unsafe at any speed.  But really, you should have kept those originals.  In tip-top condition.  Think what they'd be worth now...

Mine was a 68 Mustang, maroon with black interior.  Straight 6, automatic.  Had been re-metaled after rusting out.  Eventually painted it, black.  Eventually rerusted out.  I remember I noticed a seat belt hanging out one day... then discovered it had slipped out of the floorboards, beside the back seat.  Not through the door...

Eventually traded it for our New 76 Silver and Red Pinto Runabout.  With Firestone 500's.  What a pretty car.  What a joke... it needed a jump start every morning if it was cold; I used our 70 Hornet. 

You still see some original year Mustangs on the road; no Pintos though...  Hmm.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Funny. I had a 1976 Pinto Country & Western station wagon. You know, with the silly wood-looking, glued-on plastic laminate.

I had it during my first tour in Germany in the early 80s. What a joke. The car, not my first tour.

As soon as I got back into the US, I bought a monster Ford LTD. I don't know what in h*ck I was thinking.

I too had a 68 Mustang "Califonia Special" in the mid-70s. It had a big honkin Ford 390 engine and 4 on the floor. I never really did get it running good enough and eventually junked it.

The one time I did get it to run, I laid some serious rubber on the asphalt. But it was stuck in second gear, so it wasn't too impressive.

Scuzzy; I'm stuck in the 70s.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Mustang was a pretty popular car.  I had a '67 convertible, lime green with a 390cc and an auto trans.  Engine was impressive but what a pain to work on.  Just changing spark plugs required hours; engine was squeezed into the space for a much smaller block.   Eventually was totaled, with someone else driving. 

The other Ford I had was a 63 1/2 Falcon Monte Carlo.  A limited edition so Ford could race in a particular class of stock cars.  It was the only Falcon produced with a V8 and 4 on the floor.  Relatively speaking, it flew.

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

Wasn't there something about Pintos and exploding gas tanks? I seem to remember that being in the news, back then.

My second car was a Ford Fairlane, when I get back home I'll try and find the picture of it to poast or I should say "what's left of it"........
SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill, I do recall the nightmare it was to change the spark plugs in the 68 Mustang. The 390 cid was a super tight fit under the hood. But yours should have been very easy, as a 390cc engine would have been very small.  ;D

I also recall the big stink about exploding Pinto fuel tanks. Fortunately, mine never blew up. At least not while I had it.

My second car was also a Ford class. It was a 66 or 67 Mercury Comet Capri with a 289 cid, or possibly 302 cid, and auto trans. Overall, it was a nice car at the time.

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

I have heard it said, any landing you can walk away from is a good one. Since the old Fairlane was briefly airborne before it rolled, I don't know I would call it a good one, but we were really lucky we all walked away. It was before school one morning and I just can't say what happened for sure.  A buddy and myself had recently replaced the rear springs and I think it was a little off balance because when I hit that mud and stuff pulling back in we just took off.

Man, that still gives me the shivers after all these years.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Yes, yes, a little humor at my mistake.  My bad.

Bill

buffalo2102

Master Poaster
Posts 1339
Report to moderator

• Just for Ace...

I had a Ford Anglia 105E.  In Maroon.  Similar specs to the A35 - overhead valve 997cc engine capable of up to 75mph.  No synchromesh on first or reverse gears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Anglia

Affectionately known as the Angle-box, due to the backward-sloping rear window and other parts of the body styling.

Buff
Windows 10 Pro x64. AMD Ryzen 7 3800X.  Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite.  16GB Team Group DDR4 @ 3800MHz. MSI Gaming X Trio RX 6800 XT.

Mark H

xTreme Poaster
Posts 3501
Report to moderator

• "H" is for handy

1977 Chevy Caprice Classic two door with the sport rear window. Bought in 1987.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Mark H

xTreme Poaster
Posts 3501
Report to moderator

• "H" is for handy

Mine had a 350 four bolt main from a blazer in it that had been totally rebuilt. The tranny was swapped out for a turbo 350 with a performance shift kit in it. I have a picture of it if I ever find it.

Mark H; I kind of wish I still had it even though it got 14 mpg.
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

JimS

Senior Poaster
Posts 594
Report to moderator

My first car was a 1967 Ford station wagon.  It was given to me by my father in 1978, when I was still struggling to get through college.  It was a full-sized wagon; you could carry a whole town in it.  It had the 289 c.i. engine, and originally had a manual three-speed overdrive transmission, which resulted in 22 mpg, impressive for a car of that size.  However, this tranny split open when my father was launching his boat, and all he could find was a non-overdrive tranny, so that's what it had when he gave it to me.  Pretty unusual to find a car like that with a three-on-the-tree.  The 289 was somewhat undersized for a car of that size, and although I took good care of it and never abused it, I learned too late that top-end oiling was marginal, and I had to swap in another engine after a few years.  Despite all of the work I had to do on it, overall, it wasn't a bad car, and sold it after about four years for $300.00.

I'll mention car #2: a 1969 Chevy Caprice, maroon with a black vinyl top.  My brother got this car for me for nothing.  It had fairly significant front-end collision damage, and the 327 c.i. engine and transmission were totally shot.  He found another '69 Chevy (light green) that had been rear-ended, so this car donated the front clip and a 250 c.i. six and Powerglide transmission.  We still needed a left-front door, so the local junkyard provided a dark blue one.  After one long weekend of wrenching, for a total cost of maybe $200.00, the five-color Chevy was born.  The best thing about this car was the ride; the seats, though worn, were very comfortable, and while it didn't have AC, this car had the dash-level vents that I thought were great.  I started repairing the rust by cutting out the rust, making patch panels, brazing them in place, a little grinding and then applying more Bondo than I care to admit to.  I finished the front fenders and had the front clip primed, but never got to finish it the rest of the car.

I finally traded this car and $300.00 to a neighbor for a 1973 Chevy Nova (250 c.i. six, three-on-the-tree).  This was a great car; I put well over 100,000 miles on it, and sold it only when I moved to Brooklyn when I began working in New York city.  I sold it to my cousin and bought a clapped-out 1980 Toyota Tercel.  Not that the Nova was a big car, but those familiar with parking in the five boroughs of New York City will clearly understand the value of a car the size of the Tercel over the Nova.

Sorry, this was supposed to be about your first car, and I'm up to #4... Linda and I currently each have minivans, 2008 Chrysler Town and Country for her, 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport for me.  Linda's parents and my mother do not drive, so these are the best vehicles for us to have, because they're much easier for seniors to enter and exit.  Not sexy, but I think these are the most practical vehicles out there.  Joe has been driving since last November, and isn't very happy about having to drive a minivan.  Life's rough, isn't it...  IF he needs a car of his own when her starts college this fall, we'll see, but until then, my car is sitting in the driveway all day long (I take public transportation to work), so it make no financial sense.  Joe's a real retro kid; he wants to get an AMC Eagle; remember them?

The car taking up most of my time these days is a 1957 Chevy.  This car was bought new by my maternal grandfather; I have all or the original sales receipts and documents.  It was passed onto my father in 1975, when it had about 33,000 miles on it, and then passed onto me in 1991 with about 59,000 miles; Joe and Dan are now fighting over it...  I'd like to post a few picture of it here; how is this done?
"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Jim,

Click "Modify" on your previous poast, or simply start a new reply. At the bottom of the page, look for "Attachments and other options". Photos cannot exceed 64KB each.

Once you do that I'll approve the attachment and it will show up.

Another option is to link the photo to another site, such as www.photobucket.com; www.flickr.com; or picasa.google.com.

Let me know if you need help.

BTW: I really enjoyed reading your car experiences. It brings back some of my own good (bad?) memories of the contraptions I drove in the 70s.

JimS

Senior Poaster
Posts 594
Report to moderator

Thanks, John and Scuzzy.  I joined PhotoBucket, but the url I thought was the correct one to poast went to my PhotoBucket page, not just to the pictures.  I'll figure it out later.  I reduced the size with Irfanview, but they're still 92.5 to 240 KB each.  Is there a way to reduce the KB size of a picture without making them minuscule?
"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I like the easy-to-use Powertoy Clone. It's a very small program that once installed provides a right-click option for resizing photos. It is sometimes limited on providing a sufficiently small photo, but it also has a work around.

When you right-click a photo and select "Resize Pictures", click the "Advanced" button when the dialog window comes up. There you can manually enter a smaller resolution, which in turn gives you a smaller file.

With Powertoy Clone you can easily reduce the size of the photo to 64MB or smaller. Check our Photographs and Memories forum for some samples I poasted.

VSO Image Resizer is another option, but I stopped using it when I switched to Windows 7. There was something about the new version that I didn't like, but heck if I can remember what it was.

Most image resizers will give a small photo. If you want to poast larger, you'll have to link to an outside source such as Photobucket.

JimS

Senior Poaster
Posts 594
Report to moderator

Thanks, Scuzzy, I'll give it a shot later.

My other internal combustion toys/projects are a 1971 International 127 Cub Cadet garden tractor I'm restoring and a 1983 BMW R80RT motorcycle, which I've owned since new but has been in storage since 1996.  When I master PhotoBucket and resizing pictures, I'll post some of each.
- Stephen Grellet

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop