Date: 19 April 24, 14:00 PM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

TV

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

I'm looking forward to "Who Do You Think You Are" coming back on tonight.  Sadly I think there will only be about 4 or 6 new episodes.

Carol

It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me'. - Erma Bombeck

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I'm not familiar with the show, and we don't have any sort of cable TV. I couldn't find it on Netflix to stream, either.

I poked around YouTube a little. Is is a British series? If so, I'm extra sorry I can't watch it.

I just checked and no luck on Amazon Prime, either.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

No, it's an American series, originally on NBC, now on TLC.  Just a short summer show.  I looked all I see are some clips, not full versions.  It does look like maybe there is/was a British version.  Stars searching their family history, but it's amazing what they find and how much history it teaches.  Like Chris O'Donnell found one of his great (not sure what number great) grandfather's swords used in I believe it was Mexican American war, stored in the Smithsonian.  And then he found out one of his great's fought in War of 1812 and was in Baltimore at the battle that Francis Scott Key was watching from a boat on the water.  A lot of interesting facts.
It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me'. - Erma Bombeck

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

That sounds like an interesting show, the kind I'd like to see. But Netflix or Amazon Prime is my best hope for watching it. They cover tens of thousands of shows/movies, but I guess we can't have it all.

We haven't had cable for about 20 years, and there is no going back.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

It is an interesting show.  Maybe they will eventually put it on Netflix or Prime.  I know that TLC is acquiring some of the older seasons, or trying to, from NBC.  I'd like to get rid of cable.  One day maybe, since I don't watch most of what is on any of it. 

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Ok, so that's how much I watch regular tv.  I had to look up Sheldon from BBT.  Yes he was on it.  It was one from last season or the season before.  The first new one for this summer will be tonight.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Well, after I looked it up, I've heard of it, but have never seen it.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Yes.  I don't know much about her either.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Oh, I've never seen that one either.  Maybe I should get my head out of the sand.  I know that's an old one.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Well, mine is more like ostrich type head in the sand.  Here I live 10 minutes away from one of the most beautiful beaches around and haven't been there in years.  As far as I am concerned the beach is only good for a walk on a really cold day (we don't get those) and pics of the sunset, and I'm over loaded with those.  The youngest bought me a new DSLR and I've hardly used it, and he fusses at me, but just not much around her.  It's nothing but traffic and big buildings around here now.  I'm a mountain type person I guess.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Captiva is beautiful.  I can only imagine what Bermuda looks like.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Interesting pic.  I'm not sure there are goats on Captiva.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Carol, I'm like you when it comes to watching TV. Generally, I don't.

I'll catch the news on occasion, but rarely anything else. If it's not on Netflix, it's not likely I've seen it or even know about it.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Glad you liked it!  I've watched it from the beginning.  What originally drew me to watch it was the fact that I loved genealogy so much.  But immediately loved the show.  I have read a lot of comments for and against the fact that it is celebrities.  But I'm not sure it would get the audience if it were ordinary people.  Most people seem to have an interest in celebrities lives.  I agree that it is well done.  I doubt I will ever see some of my far back relatives graves as some are in the Azores.  The other side maybe, I hope to make it to Nova Scotia and PEI to further my research.  Beyond that I would have to go to France and Germany for that side.  Doubt that will ever happen either.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Scuzzy, basically my tv is for news and movies and very few shows.  I do like some stuff on PBS and a couple cooking shows and a couple on Smithsonian.  And am hoping they bring back The Sing Off this winter.  Haven't heard if it is returning.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Wow, guess that shows I don't poast much since I only just hit 900.

Both my Great Grandparents were from the Azores.  I doubt I will ever be able to find info beyond them unless I learn Portuguese or pay someone to do the research over there.

Ha, both my maternal grandparents and beyond were from New Brunswick.  My grandfather from Shediac and my grandmother from Grande-Digue.  My grandfather's side goes back to PEI and Nova Scotia.  And my paternal grandmother from Nova Scotia.  I still have family all over New Brunswick and other parts of Canada.  We are Acadians, and I decend from a very huge family name there on my mother's side and one of the first in Nova Scotia on my father's side.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Well, I will say that most of my computer time is spent doing research.  And it's been fun finding distant cousins and a lot of information.  Things I never knew.  Things I've heard all my life and my father heard all his were all wrong. 

Previous life, geez this one's been too hard I sure wouldn't want to search for a previous one.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

I would say yes.  I have the world one.  I have found almost all my information on there.  And they are constantly adding new things.  I have had it for quite a few years.  It's the one thing that I am willing to pay to use.  I put it to good use, not only for myself, but have done a lot of research for my friends and some for my Aunt by marriage and found information for her that she had wondered about for years.  Of course you have to be careful too as there is a lot of info on some of the family trees that is undocumented.  But a good search can usually prove if it's right or wrong.  It can be a bit addictive.  But since my biggest vice is sweet tea, I think I'm safe.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I've actually been to the Azores once, even if it was just for 3 or 4 hours.

I remember watching a show several years ago, but I cannot remember the name. It revolved around people wanting to know the history of some artifact they had. A small team would then research and investigate until they fully learned its origin and/or authenticity. It was both fun and educational.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

That looks like an interesting show.  I'll have to check it out.

I would love to go to the Azores, but that will never be a possibility.  It looks like it's beautiful.  I'm not even sure what Island my great grandparents came from, I think it was Faial, at least for her.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I only got to do a very short layover at the Azores back in the early 90s. My wife and I were on an Air Force KC-10 headed from Europe to New Jersey. We got lucky while we were there, as we got to see a U2 land very near to our transport bus.

Unfortunately, we did not get to see any of the Azores beyond the dinky airport.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

I am enjoying this season of WDYTYA.  And I like that they are showing some of the older ones.  I watched the new one last night and then recorded the Gwyneth Paltrow.  Watched it today.  I must have missed that one in a past season.  Very good.  Next week looks interesting.  I hate that it is such a short season.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Well, I have the Canadian background but no English.  But my whole life I was told that my great grandfather was an English ship captain.  My father said that is the only story he ever knew also about his grandfather.  Well after starting my research I found it was so not true.  It's been hard finding any info that hasn't either been on Ancestry or a couple of the other sites I use because I live so far away from where any of my family lived.  I want to go the DNA direction, maybe later this year.  My second cousin did it and she found some interesting facts.  Gwyneth was a good one.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Yes, my peeps came from France originally.  Unless it's changed to get the world Ancestry it's about 300.00 for a year.  You can get just the US for less.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Yeah, would be nice if it were like that.  They don't even have much if any of the Portuguese information I would like to look at for searching my family.  Wish cable were like that, I don't watch most of the stuff I have to pay for.  Used to be you could get, I think,  three months worth.  I'm not sure if they still do that.  If you only have a few things to look up, that might be an option.   But they are adding new information all the time.  You might even be able to get a free trial.  I know I get my moneys worth out of Ancestry.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Ancestry is involved.  Not sure to what extent.  I know right now they are giving away a WDYTYA trip sponsored by Ancestry,

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Thanks for the tip.  But have a great vac already.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Yes, it was a great show.  I often wonder if they actually check into the personality before doing a show on them.  They all have such stunning results.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Yeah, I'm sure you're right.  Wonder how many stars are approached and they can't find enough interesting information to make a show on them worthwhile.  I would love to be able to hire someone in the Azores and then maybe Portugal.  Or where ever it leads to from the Azores.  I'm sure it would be cheaper than trying to go there. 

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Sad, last night was the last WDYTYA.  Now I guess it will be back to movies till Downton Abbey in Jan and Agents of Shield this Fall. 

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Yes, Minnie was the last one of the season.  It was a good one.  I think it's to soon to know if they will have another season, but I hope they do.  Even if you don't care about genealogy there is a lot of history to learn from the show.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Well, all I can say is do it while there are people to ask.  I have lost almost everyone now and I so wish I could ask questions.  A lot I've figured out on my own.  Growing up we always went north to my paternal side of the family for a reunion.  But as the family trickled down there were so few of us.  Out of 11 kids there were only 6 of us grand kids.  Ancestry does have a two week trial.  But if you search the area you are talking about sometimes you can find a lot of other resources or sometimes just even the names.  Sure wish there was a book floating around about my family I could get my hands on.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Yes, the genealogy business can be deep.  And it can change things you have heard all your life when you find the truth.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Have fun, better put floaties on your car.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

I love old cemeteries.  If I ever get to Nova Scotia and PEI that will be a main draw for me in certain areas.  There are many other sites to use besides Ancestry.  I am compiling all of my information and pictures.  Don't know if I will do a book, although one of my second cousins offered to help with that if I decided to do a book.  Mostly I eventually want to get it online in some kind of private way and add stories with all of the pictures.  I tried very hard to get my WWII POW father to let me record some of his stories but he would not allow it, so we have all written down what we remember from what he told us.  I have a lot of old newspaper articles about my grandfather, and that family back to 1875 was pretty much all in one place.  Town Halls are also great information places.  I wish WDYTYA didn't have such a short season.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

I know most of the areas that my ancestors lived.  So that is where I would start.  Some I know the cemeteries.  Sometimes you can find some of that online by searching genealogy for that area.  Lunenburg which is one of the areas has an amazing site full of information.  I'm not really sure if it would be in old newspapers, but that would at least tell you the town to look and the year for the cemetery.  Death certificates also may hold that information.  And usually the cemetery office is willing to tell you where they are located.  Also Roots Web has message boards for almost every area and surname.  You also have to be willing to spell the surname in many variations.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Then you would just have to put on your walking shoes.  I had to search the one in RI without help from the office since they weren't open when I was able to go there.  There is a find a grave website, I get to it through Ancestry so I'm not sure if it takes a membership.  But it has to be a cemetery that someone  has been willing to log the graves.  Sometimes there are pictures sometimes not.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Practice, practice.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

I see PBS is bringing back Finding Your Roots for a second season starting the 23rd.  Not as good as WDYTYA, but worth watching.

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Yes, I have been recording it and watching it.  I love the fact that they are doing "real" people.  Wish they would come this direction. 

Carol

Poastal Moderator
Posts 991
Report to moderator

Sunday at 10 Who Do You Think You Are returns.  Looking forward to it.  The Chris O'Donnell full episode is online, if you haven't seen it, it's excellent.