Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Printer memory saves info?

Traveller

Poaster
Posts 382
Report to moderator

Hi All.

Just wondering if a basic printer such as the one in the link below saves anything in it's memory. If the printer is used to print confidential information, could the info possibly be accessed if the printer is passed on/sold to someone else?

http://reviews.cnet.com/laser-printers/samsung-ml-1210-printer/4507-3159_7-6164607.html

Thanks.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Traveller,
I don't know 'for sure' but my HP fax machine has a memory function that supports an out of paper condition.  But once the paper is replaced and the fax printed, the data or document is no longer in the memory. 
I would guess the data is stored in the computer's print function until its printed and then gone.  I doubt it is in the printer memory.  If you've had occasion to look at the Spooler function, the process that lines up print jobs when the printer is busy or unavailable, you'd see a list of things waiting for the printer, but not transferred to the printer.

I think you're safe.

Bill
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Traveller,

I'm not aware of any printer that retains printed data after it's been unplugged. I recall a printer from years back that allowed me to reprint the last print job, but nothing beyond that.

Traveller

Poaster
Posts 382
Report to moderator

Thanks for the replies and information, Bill/scuzzy.