Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Home on the Range?

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

• The Ghost who walks. Slowly.

Since we can't do DSL we can't use the phone lines.... 

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Yes; Sprint.  It seems this is going in circles, and much as what went on when I talked with ATT.  Once they got to the "it's fiber optic from the hub to your home then..." I asked how in the world it was going to use phone lines deemed unsuitable for DSL, for a Uverse high speed.  And that's when they said it wouldn't, but would use either an existing cable (of which, there is none) or presumed I got busy on an off weekend and installed my own fiber optic cable throughout.  So unless I use my PC outside, I'm not seeing how Uverse is going to get anywhere close to where the computer is.

Besides being adverse to someone showing up and scratching their head wondering "i don't know how they expected me to install this, here" I'm wary of spending considerable money for a device that might not work, anyway.  and moving target download limits, where if you go over they'll either cut you off or drop you down or start the surcharges.  From what I can tell, the Virgin Mobile "WiFi Hotspot" doesn't connect directly to the PC, but would expect it to be wireless.  And really can't believe a USB hub antenna stuck in the thing is going to pick up outside signals to any great effect. 

For such a simple service, it is frustrating with wires that can't get there, from here and signals that can't get in, from there and a lot of theory but not much practice.  Which explains why we had dialup for so long.

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

I'd give Comcast a call. Not exactly the cheapest, but they do have a couple of tiers for their internet only, they will install lines as part of the deal, may or may not charge for that. In my case they didn't. Not sure how your house is laid out, but in my case access to upstairs was available from the basement. And you can always set up modem and router where they can get to and go from there.

But the service is good. I rarely have outages and can stream two movies from netflix at the same time without any issues. Not on the same computer, but you get my drift.
SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Pat; do you hardwire to the router or pick up from there by wireless..? 
With Open Range, it was an antenna and then I hard wired to it, from the PC... so don't have a wireless card or connect at this time from the PC.

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

I'm pretty much cables. I have the main one from outside coming to the desk, then to the modem and then the wireless router then to my computer and the other computer and the other one with wires. I then have the wireless for the rest of the house with the laptops and the i-touch.

But if you had the wires already going to the old one you could put the new one there.
SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I have a hard wire going from the ISP antenna to my router. My main computer is then hardwired to the router; all other computers in the home are hooked through wireless. But the option is yours either way. It's easier than ever to hook up a router these days.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

I feel like I'm on a tape delay, here.

With the issue seeming to be from the computer, backward, I'm most focused on how it gets the connection then back through the chain..Everything sounds easy, from the company to the house.  I'll try contacting Comcast again today; the problem with them last time was the price kept changing while we talked.

I'm not adverse to a TV cable connection in a package, if it's cost effective, but not particularly interested or of need.  DirectTV and DishTV suggest internet can be part of their service, but absolutely no mention of it as such anywhere else on their sites.

I did confirm Virgin Mobile broadband is a no-go.  It would be the USB "jump drive" unit, but their unlimited service for $50 is limited.  And they slow you to dial up speed once you hit it.  Also, it's like a pay as you go thing (like their phone service) so too iffy to attempt. 

I did have one final circular (well, more pretzel logic) dialogue with ATT today.  Same old "your house is fine it's in our area we bring the fiber optic cable to your home the technician will figure out what needs to be done it will be wireless ok wait it will be a cable ok we don't know how we're going to get it from there to there trust us cost and trouble cannot be imagined would you like to order now?"  Same old wired wireless loopiness.

And sadly Comcast won't even set up a conversation online... you either order (and provide personal/financial info) or you have some question on existing set-up, but no means to chat about possible service... I've sent an email, and may try calling (our local entity hit a "wrong number" response).  Having read about hidden installation fees and the like would sure like to know what struggles they'd have with their cable, getting it up and about. 

I'd love to find an antenna to TV unit, but nothing like that in the boondocks of Northern Indiana apparently.  We had an Open Range storefront a couple blocks away, but it's naturally disappeared.

Ace; as do I, for long periods of time.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

One of my sons has Internet through cable. He averages 20MB down and his service is consistently good. I believe he started with an introductory price, but now pays around $60 monthly for Internet service only.

I pay around $46-ish monthly for good service that averages 2MB to 3MB down. Our ISP is promising to upgrade us to 10MB down soon, but I would happily fork out $60 to $70 for what my son is getting. But since I'm a little in the sticks, cable is not an option.

If you want some decent broadband, it's sounding like cable may be your best option. But I too detest bait and switch tactics.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

I am naturally wary of Colorado ISPs, having just had one crash when they lost their satellite service provider... 
But if your son is willing to stretch a cable from there, to here, I might be able to go that route.  It's probably more of a sure thing that asking ATT how they would do it inside my house.

What provider do you have for over the air reception?  I forget.
Wild Blue just confirmed theirs is "available" - that's a dish type deal (and appears pricey, as most are).

Ace; I wouldn't think there's all that much news worthy in CO to pass on to here anyway.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I'm using Skybeam, which provides fairly good service. I'm patiently waiting for a promised 10MB down in the near future. The speeds may not be spectacular, but we're able to stream Netflix to a boob tube or two.

I don't know much about Wild Blue, but their satellite speeds are not that impressive. I think I would consider satellite only an absolute last resort. I suppose it's better than dial-up, but at a price.

Scuzzy; and the price is not right.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

It looks like I could get Skybeam if we move to Texas.  These hidden charges are getting ridiculous.

I did get an actual response from Comcast, and talked with two human beings including Tech Support.  They at least could explain how they'd configure they're coax line to the room/PC and modem.  Without going wired wireless.  With ATT tied in knots they're probably "it."  No other on the air (besides actual satellite/dish specialties) options.

Ace; I probably should just get a Kindle and read a book.  Oh; or buy a book.

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

Yeah, comcast may be the way to go. I did come across this company: Michiana Wireless but their coverage map doesn't display, so not sure if you're in it. May or may not be worth a call.

their

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Thanks Pat; always skeptical about anything with the term "Michiana" in it...  They do have a strange and primitive/jumpy site.  I'll try to check them out, just for the sake of why not. 

I'll be going dark again, for the next days... as I will be home, and that's a dead air zone.  so if you come up with any good ideas or tips think them really hard, and point them at me.  I'm not wearing the protective foil hat so hopefully signal strength will be ok.

Ace; I'll be uploading a lot tomorrow, then downloading...

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

May the force be with you.

Peace

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

The Michiana service looks to use the same technology that Skybeam uses, but is offered in more tiers. It's also quite a bit more expensive. Otherwise it seems to work on the same principle. For schools, it works on the same principal.

I have a small dish-type radio antenna with a CAT5 cable going to my router, that talks to some nearby tower. It is mostly dependable, although on occasion it's a little slower than I think it should be. But I "only" pay $46.45 per month (incl $5 equip rental) for speeds that are soon to be 10MB down. Or so I'm told... I'll have to wait and see and report later.

I recommend you take the Business Gold package, as it's only $999.99 monthly for 10MB down.

Scuzzy; some restrictions apply.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

So what's the latest? Are you coming back to the 21st century, or are you gonna hang out in the Stone Age a while?

Scuzzy; I have to ask everything around here.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Oh, pretty much in limbo.  It's like lurking but quieter.

I pretty much will/have to go with Comcast as the "only game in town."  They've at least been decent enough to connect to tech support some of the time (although their system makes it darn hard, if you're not a customer).  I don't really want to rent a modem for $7 a month, so am now sourcing through "Comcast approved" modems to purchase.  And naturally need to get that in, before any installation.

I'm figuring to get their "performance" Xfinity, which is midlevel (and cost).  There's a big list of DOCSIS 2.0 and 3.0 modems on it; I did ask sales today (never got through to "tech support") if a 3.0 would be preferred and got a "don't bother" answer... but then read instances online where folks went with the newer technology and noticed differences.  I'd hate to buy something with real planned obsolescence built in, and be stuck later, so might spring for a 3.0 and figure it couldn't hurt... Probably a Motorola SB6120 or the Zoom 5341.  Comcast considers them all "3rd party" (and really not their problem) so it's been tough to drill down and have them say "you really oughta get a _____ those always work out well."  Plus naturally depends on if it's online order (and wait for shipment; what a great time of year) for from Best Buy or whatever locally.  May shop tomorrow at the Big Box, and take it from there.  Then call for installation...

I did check out the "Michiana Wireless" and it does seem slow and costly, comparatively. 

Ace; cut off from civilization, plus you people.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Honestly, I've never been to Craigslist.  It just seems too creepy to me.. and I really want to avoid any defective/uncooperative modem choice, so getting someone else's reject seems too risky really.  Since I'll need to shell out some bucks what I'd like is something that will last, and be dependable, long term.  Especially if the purchase price is getting toward a year's rental cost.

I know what you mean J on the "hidden" so am working to pin down any possible surprises.  That's what really became the big deal breaker with ATT, where it was suggested they'd have to do some major accomodations and couldn't even guess at what would be entailed, and how much.  I know I won't know until they show, but Comcast hasn't hinted at anything that is going to throw them or be more than a minimal install fee.  Even got tech support to say the cable jack should be included, in the basic price, and not be an add on.

Ace; I'm a hidden cost, here.  And Peace be with Pat, too.

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

It's funny you should mention that, I was on Craig's list the other day and I saw an ad aimed right at those folks that used Open Range and had lost their service and they were going to come to the rescue with their service. Don't remember what that service was, but it's there somewhere.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Well thanks for blowing my cover, dang it. I was gonna retire on the loot I was gonna make off of Ace and others by selling them snake oil.

Scuzzy; not laughing on this trip to the bank.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

You know, I wouldn't mind ringing a snake's neck to get the oil out.  If I could figure just what part is "neck."
Otherwise, as far as bleeding a rock (or "Iraq") I did pick up a 3.0 DOCSIS modem yesterday at a PC Direct store (at least cheaper than Best Buy).  Since I can't hardly order the cable installation until I have one, and this gives me a return option in case things go wrong (I've read various Comcast modem reports, but hard to find a "pattern").  It's likely overkill for the speed we're getting, but do not want to go through the whole thing again in the near future.

Ace; waiting for: Godot - the bus - the end of the world

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Look, I really don't care about your problems as long as your fix doesn't provide you with faster Internet than what I have. So I would appreciate it if you ask for their economy service, which requires you to install a crank on your computer.

Scuzzy; one that matches the crank in front of the keyboard.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

grumble grumble grumble

I thought about plugging in the modem, to an Open Range radar unit, through my dialup and pulling out one of the old Earthlink CDs to see if I could connect.  But unfortunately sent back both of the Ranger Radars. Naturally, at my cost.  UPS said "Oh, we're getting a lot of these... didn't they send you return labels?" and I said they've provided exactly what they've been providing.

Ace; I did fix my snowblower, though.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

Middle of next week is the ETA.  I did notice "ATT DSL" modems at Best Buy.  Comcast charges $7/month so figured I may as well be proactive and not waste $84 over a year anyway (plus figuring it wouldn't be "state of the art" but will never know). 

Ace; Crankace

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Which modem did you buy and what did it set you back? And what speeds are being promised by Comcast?

Scuzzy; I'll verify it with my radar gun. Or my pop gun.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

I'm baaaaack....

I appear to be connected again, now through Comcast Xfinity.  Got'er done in a couple hours this am, and I'm broadcasting from home.
The tech ran the wire around the house and in, as was done for the phone line to the den.  So that seems to have worked fine as a direct feed, and no need of internal home wiring.  I was glad to see that was the plan, instead of going up walls or across the attic as seemed to be a possibility.

The modem is a Motorola Surfboard 6121; it was $95, and $15 less than Best Buy.  There was also a Zoom for $89, but had read about issues with trying to figure their own passwords and lack of a customer S/N.  We actually had a Comcast Chicago rep going through the neighborhood on the weekend, trying to entice sales as they said they've recently upgraded through here.  He said that was the way to go on the modem, and today's tech was happy with the choice.  It took awhile for its firmware upgrade, but up and ruuning.

Have just been doing updates (BitDefender was going nuts, being unable to).  Things seem quick, so will check speeds in awhile.  Better than none, which has been my recent experience.

The obnoxiousness (obliviousness) of Open Range continues; besides repeat warnings to RETURN YOUR MODEMS! they actually had the audacity to say (this week): only return by USPS or FedEx (I did it by UPS) and changed the address on where to send them to (!). I did capture and print out the delivery back confirmation, as I would not be surprised to find a "we never got yours; you owe us" followup.  They are not the brightest keys on the chain, and have proven to be as sharp as a whip on customer dealings. 

Ace; my connection is probably quicker, but I'm not confident I am.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Yeah! Congratulations.

Bill
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Good deal, then. I'm happy that worked out.

At least this time you won't have to worry about returning your modem when Comcast goes belly-up.

Scuzzy; I hope we didn't help create a monster.

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

I'm debating if I want to keep it on all the time (he plugged the modem directly in the outlet, instead of the power strip).  I did do speed tests and it's hitting 25.5+ on downloads and 3.7+ on uploads.  The slowest was Co. Springs, but would expect things to not move to fast to/from there.  That was 15.28/3.24.  would figure it's got a "governer" to limit it to those speeds, as they're absolutely consistent and looks like it's leveled accordingly.

Ace; I'll see if I move any faster in Oblivion, or get shot quicker in Call of Duty Black Ops.

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

I am so glad you got back the internet. I was worried you wouldn't be able to get me Christmas presents if you couldn't do the online shopping.  Phew, I'll get my list up ASAP.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Ace

Mighty Jester
Posts 7612
Report to moderator

I had a heck of a time even finding Reykjakavik...   I hit 7.62 and 3 something.  Not that there was anything I could see getting from there, unless there's a new Bjork video. 
24.44/3.06 for Oak Forest.
I probably ought to look into that Comcast cable, if that's what you're using to connect.

Ace; wait...