Date: 29 March 24, 01:28 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Lost Ability to Create Desktop Shortcut from Internet Pages

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Suddenly, all pages I bring to my screen from the Internet have a little closed-lock image immediately to the left of the URL address.

I understand that has something to do with lack of permission to do something.

Practically, the only thing affecting me is that I can no longer drag the icon previously in that spot to my desktop to create a shortcut to that page.

Is there a way I can ditch that little lock ? If not, is there another way to create a shortcut ?

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

The Lock symbol indicates the connection is secure.  It's not preventing you from doing anything else as far as I know.
As I look at the Poasters address in the search box, the lock has a red line through it, an indication that this is not a secure site.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

As Bill mentioned, the lock is only to let you know that the site is secure.

Press F6 until the entire address is highlighted, and then drag and drop the highlighted address (not the icon) onto your desktop. That works for me 100% of the time.

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

I get the highlighting, but when I try to drag the address the highlighting disappears and I can't move the address anywhere.  Is a puzzle no ?

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I just tried scuzzi's suggestion, F6 to highlight, Right click and drag it to a blank spot on the desktop worker for me using W7.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Aha !!  Apparently  Microsoft Edge high jacked my computer and led to the problem I had.  I realized some other things looked different, but I just assumed that was a result of the usual periodic (some times unwanted) updating

I made Google Chrome my default browser and problem is solved

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

For the record, I'm using Windows 10

While using Edge I got into sign-in issues as well

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I think using anything from Microsoft leads to trouble.  If I could find a reasonable alternative I'd dump Win 7.