Date: 29 March 24, 00:17 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Moto Razr

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Last night while reading a poast here, something about chainsaws, my phone locked up tight and wouldn't respond to any actions.  The battery is not removable so I couldn't simply reset it.  This morning it was still locked so I spent some time researching replacements on VZ.  As I was getting ready to leave, I glanced at the phone and it was dark, great, I thought, now the battery is dead.  When I picked it up and pressed the power button, it had cleared and was back to full operation, 12 hours later. 

Don't know how or why but it cleared, saving me a lot of cash, but I think if it happens again I'll replace it anyway.  Moto X is looking pretty good.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

You don't.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

JA it's a Motorola Razr, just like to title of the poast.  I tried pushing all the possible combinations of button on the phone, to no effect.  AFAIK all current Moto have non-removable batteries.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

JA, I have bad news for you. Most of the industry is moving to non-removal cell phone batteries. Part of the reason is the extremely tight tolerances on premium phones, which doesn't allow for removable backs. I think Apple started the trend. Motorola, LG, HTC, and many others have jumped on the same band wagon. Samsung will likely be next.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I am no expert JA, as I have yet to actually own a smartphone. But I have been doing a lot of reading in preparation for our upcoming purchase of 4 smartphones.

My understanding is that manufacturers are pushing the limits of how much they can pack into a phone housing, while keeping the package as small as possible. In doing so, they are sealing the batteries and the back case to add to the rigidity of the phone. Apparently when you push the limits, the phone will flex and feel flimsy unless it is sealed tight.

I remember one reviewer complained that Moto X phones have additional sealant holding the back cover to the battery. He discovered this when he forced the back open to see how the phone was assembled. He purposely removed the sealant before putting it back together, but the phone was flimsy afterward.