Forgot your password?

iOS vs Android

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

We were at the local T-Mo store today reviewing phone options for my wife. The only phones that appealed to her were the Samsung Galaxy S10e and the iPhone XS. T-Mo is currently selling the base model of both phones for $699 each. Anyway, she very quickly lost interest in the Samsung and mostly focused on the iPhone.

If I had to take a guess, she will go with the iPhone. We'll see what happens. She's going to talk it over with our youngest daughter tomorrow morning. Our youngest has been using an iPhone for over a year now and will probably never return to Android.

As for me, I'll see what my options are toward the end of the year.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

We went to Costco today to do some shopping, and we stopped by the cell phone display while wandering the store. We almost bought an iPhone 11 Pro, for $900. Almost, as in damn close almost. As I was getting ready to whip out payment, my wife decided to hold off so she could think about it some more.

Scuzzy; still on hold.

carskick

xTreme Poaster
Posts 2794
Report to moderator

• Neighborhood Computer Supprt
Samsung has my favorite hardware, but I hate their software. I love the Google Pixel series, but the hardware just isn't up to par with Samsung.

I wouldn't touch iOS with a 1km pole for my own personal device! :)
Current Primary PC:
AMD 5800X | MSI X570 Carbon | G.Skill 32GB DDR4-3600 16-19-19-39 | MSI GamerZ RTX 3070 | ADATA 8200 Pro 1TB NVME | Micron 1100 2TB SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB | Seasonic Gold 750 Watt | Fractal Define S Case w/Tempered Glass | Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler | Sound Blaster Z | Noctua 4x 140mm, 1x 120mm Chromax | Pixio PX7 & PX275H Monitors

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

We just talked about the Pixel 3 - 4 in anther thread, seems to be a poorly executed bit of hardware.  What is your current phone, and what's next?
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Hmm. Where to start? To begin with, I'm mostly in agreement with you. I have also never liked Apple products for various reasons, and have had the same attitude as you. However, I'll do my best to be objective...

I'll start with what I don't like most about the Android platform:

• Android has too many manufacturers with endless models and software iterations, each doing their own freakin' thing. There is no solid set standard.
  • Because of endless models, accessories are all over the place. An excellent case available for one model will not be available for another.
  • Flagship Android phones are becoming WAY too big. Finding a well-built, flagship Android phone with a display under 6 inches is near impossible. The upcoming Samsung S20 Ultra will sport a 6.9" screen (uh... not in my pocket it won't).
  • Even a ridiculously expensive Android phone will only be supported for a couple years. You'll probably get the next big Android OS, eventually, and maybe the one after. Or maybe not depending on endless factors. Security updates can also be hit-or-miss.

This is subjective, but I loathe my Note9's curved-edge screen. I also find that Android based smartwatches and tablets massively suck.

There's plenty I don't like about iPhone as well. They are difficult to impossible to customize, there's Apple's refusal to adopt USB-C, and Apple is secretive about battery size, RAM, etc. It also seems that Apple likes to nickel and dime its customers to death.

What I do like is that the iPhone 11 series phones are exceptionally well made, the 11 Pro has a sweet 5.8" flat screen, and it's very easy to find good accessories. Apple also supports every new iPhone an average of 5 years from date of release, with timely updates and without interference by carriers.

Our 3 daughters have been on iPhone for sometime. All 3 have chosen a medical career, which according to them is much better supported by Apple for their needs. My wife is considering iPhone especially to FaceTime with our daughters. She does not care about technical details, preferring to leave that problem to me. She simply wants a phone that works well, and preferably one that fits in her pocket.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

We will probably (and reluctantly) be sporting iPhones in our pockets by the end of this year. Apple is releasing the iPhone 12 series, which will be sized in 5.4", 6.1" and 6.7" screens, and all will support 5G. The 5.4" size appeals to me, but I'll consider the 6.1" if the physical size is small enough. The 5.4" is expected to start at $649, which is priced far better than Samsung's endless crap.

I have looked hard for a decent Android phone that isn't large enough to replace the family television set, but nothing is out there worth having. I also will NEVER own another curve-edged screen. I have had to hold my breath more than once to keep from throwing my Note 9 into a brick wall, curved-edge screen first. When I bought my phone 2 years ago I thought I could get used to the screen. Instead, I loathe it more than ever.

I don't want to move to iOS, but I'm so sick and tired of the direction that Android manufacturers have taken that I don't see another choice. They should go straight to a 12" tubular screen and just be done with it. I would absolutely love to find a high-end Android phone with a flat screen under 6" and that supports 5G, but it seems more unlikely than ever.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I think size is important too.  My compliant about my One Plus T6 is that it's uncomfortably large. George has a small Android phone from T-Mo that is a great size but the phone sucks. It's about 4" by 2". The speaker sounds like a tin can and he has connection problems.  I don't remember the brand but if that's the best that's possible in a small phone, no Thanks.
My Daughter has been an iPhone user for 10-12 years and wouldn't touch an Android.  She is a heavy user and the iPhone serves as her computer. She also has a Mac book but doesn't use it in favor of her phone. And there are some things I am envious about.  For instance she can cut and paste an address from a text and drop it in the navigation app. And there are other examples.
I suspect that once you get into ios, you won't go back.
I've thought about twice, just haven't made up my mind.

Edit @T-Mo  Apple 11pro 4g ram not expandible $999.99, 11 pro with 256 g $1149.99.  I'm not fluent enough to know if 4 g of ram is enough, but I doubt it.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I'm at a loss as to how we got to the point that mid-to-high-end Android phones must have giant screens. Anything pocketable is garbage, as your friend George has discovered. My wife and I are sick of monster-sized phones, and it seems certain we'll each have smaller iPhones by the end of this year. Hopefully we won't regret it. Neither of us are big multi-taskers, so 4 GB RAM is enough. I'm holding out for the iPhone 12 only because it will support 5G.

Our 3 daughters each started out with Android, but none will return. Our youngest likes that no matter what model iPhone she picks up, they operate the same. A newer model may have more features, but she doesn't have to learn a new way of using a smartphone. That alone is a major plus for my wife who dreads OS changes.

iPhone 12 known info: MacRumors iPhone 12