Date: 17 April 24, 20:48 PM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Need Help Removing Unwanted Popup

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

I'm suddenly seeing an occasional, wide popup on the right side of my screen with "options" across the top labelled Elements, Console, Sources, Network, Performance, Memory and Application. I have no idea where this came from.

Can someone please tell me what this is all about and how I can get this off my screen ?

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Hi hoosier, I would start with Antimalwarebytes.  It is very good at removing "pups", unwanted programs.  If that doesn't work, look to see if Mbam identifies what it is, then we can try a removal program like Wise Uninstaller.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Premium Malwarebytes found nothing. I believe this is not a virus or scam, but is a Windows program I accidently activated. It seems to be monitoring audio and/or video activity on my computer.  I will watch it further to see if I can better describe what it seems to be doing and I'll report back.

I'm using Google Chrome and Windows XP.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I think you might be able to figure it out, start Task Manager ( press Ctrl-Alt -Del at once) look on tabs to see.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Attached is screen shot of "popup" appearing occasionally on my screen.  I would hope that someone will recognize what this is, and how it can be deactivated

Correction:  I'm using Windows 7, not XP

EDIT: Image resized for clarity by Scuzzy

[attachment deleted by admin]

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I have Chrome.  Open the Browser menu (green circle with arrow),  3/4 down the menu click on more tools, in the window that opens, click on development tools.  I think you can X out of all of it from there.

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

My new Hcman mechanical keyboard does not have the extended keys on the right end. To mute audio I have to click on F12 and FN keys simultaneously. Following Scuzzy's tip, I have found that toggling the F12 key does turn the popup "on" and "off"

That popup is apparently "recording network activity", whatever that means

You guys came thru for me once again. Many, many thanks.

Ken