Forgot your password?

Dell U2518D Monitor

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

My primary LG monitor (LCD) went belly up yesterday after nearly 9 years of service. My secondary 23" Dell monitor took over until I could find a replacement, which I figured would be after my trip. But I got impatient and ended up at Best Buy to see what was available. I went home with this Dell U2518D 25" 2k monitor, which was on sale for $199.

I'm running the monitor at 2560 x 1440. When I first installed it, Windows 10 scaled the view to its recommended 125%. I didn't care for that as it made it too close to a standard HD monitor. Wanting the full use of the extra resolution, I readjusted the setting to 100%. It's surprising how much more real estate I have to work with now. Yes the text is small, but I can work with it just fine. It's the same story with my laptop and I adjusted to that easily.

As usual, the monitor was way too bright out-of-the-box. I had to tone the brightness down to 30% to keep from searing my eyeballs. I like the thin bezels, the ISP panel, and overall sharpness. I really like the flatness of the bezels in relation to the display panel, as there's no overhanging ledge. The 23" Dell bezels have a fat lip in comparison (there's a 1/4" ledge all around). There are plenty of height and tilt adjustments, which made for a perfect fit. I may never use the USB 3 sockets on the left side, but it's nice to have them anyway.

It looks like this 25" model will work fine, but I might change my mind over the next day or two. I will keep my options open for a 27" model, like this 27" Dell U2715H 2k IPS monitor or this 27" Dell S2716DGR 2k TNT monitor. I just haven't decided that I want to spend that much more for two additional inches.  :-\

For now the 23" Dell is back to secondary duties.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

But it looks like the quality of the screen images is worth the additional expense, IMO.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Looks like the new monitor is a keeper. While no doubt a 27-incher would be much nicer, there is no doubt that I'm quite pleased with the 25" model. I will likely pick up a second one, as side-by-side, they would be a perfect fit for the hutch I'm planning to build after my trip. I would not be able to squeeze a pair of 27" models without significant modifications to the hutch plan, and I'm thinking that would be overkill anyway.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Monitor real estate is like our other interest, you can never have too much or too many.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Agreed, but I want to use 2 monitors and I really want both to be the same make/model. A pair of 27" monitors would not fit in the cubby of the new hutch I plan to build soon. I can have a pair of 25" monitors in a side-by-side configuration (which will just barely fit), or I can have a single 27" model. I'd much rather have two monitors, and I really am liking the Dell 25" I just bought.

Cost is also a consideration. I can have a pair of 25-inchers for $400, or a pair of 27-inchers for $870 to $920. Regardless, I wouldn't be able to fit two anyway.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

You have to do what works for you.  I like having dual monitors the same size and make too.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I just spent the last 20 minutes seeing what modifications I can make to the plans to make a pair of 27-inch monitors work. No luck so far without pretty much trashing my current plan and starting over. I'll poke at this bear when I get back from vacation.

I also just checked Best Buy. Apparently I bought the last of this monitor at any of their stores within 250 miles. So much for buying another one today. :(

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Now I have to ask, why the need for a "hutch"?  Wouldn't just a large, flat table be more efficient.  I recall that you have had a "hutch" like piece of furniture for your computer(s) in the past, but why the need for sides or shelves?  Seems a set of shelves and drawers would be more flexible.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

A simple flat table is what I have used in most of my work environments over the years. As you mentioned, it's efficient. My current hutch is a store product and not very well thought out for actual life. It houses small electronics, books, tissues, and various office supplies. I also use it to display years worth of souvenirs along with challenge coins.

I have considered attaching shelving to the walls, but I think I'll stick to the hutch idea for flexibility. I'm also looking to house a pair of high-quality bookshelf speakers on either side of the monitor(s) at about eye level as I'm sitting.

I stayed up a little last night messing with the hutch design. I came up with a way to open it up more, but I'll have to refine it after my trip as I'm out of time. I am meeting with a friend for breakfast today. We both share a passion for woodworking, so I'll get his input (maybe even his help).

[attachment deleted by admin]

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I installed the new monitor a few days ago and I'm very pleased with the outcome. In all my years of computing, this is the first time I'm using two *identical* monitors.

Scuzzy; shoulda done this sooner.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Yeah, it is particularly nice when they look the same!