Date: 29 March 24, 03:06 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

I'm Having a Major Windows 10 Noise Problem

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

I installed Windows 10 on my computer today. I am hearing unacceptably loud background noise whenever my speakers are activated. The noise consists of random squeals and pops. I had not been having any such problem using Windows 7.

Anyone having similar problem? Any suggestions as to the cause and cure?

P.S. My ATT U-Verse Motorola router is located several rooms away from my computer.

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Background noise is at a constant level, regardless of speaker volume setting.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

hoosier,

I'm going to have to give this some thought and research.... Hang in there, but in the mean time, I'd check the speaker connections if you haven't already.  Fiddling with the output jack with my creative speakers produces the same effect.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Hi Bill

No background noise problem with Windows 7.   Installed Windows 10, immediate problem.   Definitely not a speaker connection issue.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Try this first:
 run the audio troubleshooter and check if that helps:
Audio troubleshooter can help fix certain issues. Follow these steps:
a. On the Start search, type 'Find and fix problems' and choose that option.
b. Under 'Troubleshooting' window, click on 'Hardware and Sound'.
c. Click on 'Playing Audio'.
Follow the onscreen instruction.  If that does not help try this apparently the Realtek audio drivers are still under development and audio drivers with w10  are really win 8 or 8.1.

If that doesn't work, go to Device Manager and delete the audio driver and reboot the system.  Win10 should reinstall the driver. 

If that doesn't help there is a third option but more complicated. 

Google is your friend.....

Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

The only thing I can think of is that Windows 10 installed the wrong audio driver. I suggest taking a look at the motherboard manufacturer's support/download site for the proper audio drivers.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

That was to be the last option I mentioned.  Very good thought!

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

My computer is an HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1200z

Using Device Manager (after I finally found it - damn these confusing changes that don't help the user), message said best driver already installed for Realtek High Definition Audio.

When I went to HP I got a message they couldn't auto-identify my computer, even though they showed a picture of my computer and its model
name. Beyond that, I was told that to get proper drivers I should go to Windows Update.

I went to Windows Update but (and no surprise to me) I got a message that everything is up-to-date.

Is Microsoft providing free support for Windows 10 by any chance?

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Oops, I meant to say "is Microsoft providing free human support for Windows 10 ?"

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill may have the best idea of deleting the driver in Device Manager and then rebooting the computer. If you strongly believe the problem is not hardware related, then the driver seems the only possibility.

Just for giggles, I'd still do a hardware check. Try a different set of speakers if available. At a minimum, try connecting headsets directly to the computer (not through the speakers). Even if you're certain that's not the problem, it's still best to rule it out.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

I've tried everything suggested so far except this from Bill's last reply :

"If that didn't work, try using the generic audio driver that comes with Windows. Here's how: in Device Manager, right-click (or tap and hold) your audio driver > Update driver software... > Browse my computer for driver software  > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, select High Definition Audio Device, select Next, and follow the instructions to install it"

I tried this till I got to a message that said pursuing this might make my computer unstable. It's not worth it to me to chance that, probably a vain hope of success there anyway.

I guess I will revert to Windows 7 until such time as this problem has been solved by Microsoft.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

That was my next suggestion if you are still within the 30 days.

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Installing Windows 11 took 3 hours, going back to Windows 7 only took 15 minutes.  Except for having to renew some passwords, everything seems okay.  I'll try again in mid-December.  Thanks all for replying.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks for letting us know.  I think I'd wait longer than a month.  In reality, Windows 10 doesn't do anything that Windows 7 can't do.  I see little advantage to the upgrade.

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Won't support for Windows 10 be available for longer than for Windows 7 ?   And eventual resale of my computer will be easier if it has Windows 10 ?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

To be fair,  I'm very happy with Windows 10. Not that I have anything against Windows 7, but Microsoft got a lot of things right with 10.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Neither of those issues, for me, are important.  In fact, I wouldn't buy a new/used  machine with W10 on it.  But that's just me, but there are many that feel just as strongly for win 7 and there are for w10.  Given the lack of new capabilities in w10, it becomes a matter of personal preference.

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

But I still wonder:

Won't support for Windows 10 be available for longer than for Windows 7 ?   And won't eventual resale of my computer be easier if it has Windows 10 ?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Support for Windows 10 will certainly be longer than what is left for Windows 7, but it's not like 7 is gonna get shelved anytime soon. As for the resale of your computer, that will greatly depend on when you sell it and the needs of the buyer.

At the end of the day, it will be a user preference issue more than anything. Windows 10 is working well for me and I saw a significant performance boost when I upgraded an older computer to Windows 10.  But if you are happy with Windows 7, there's currently no compelling reason to upgrade to Windows 10.