Forgot your password?

TDK Life On Record A33

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

After reading tons of highly positive reviews (pro critics & users) on the TDK Life On Record A33 Bluetooth speaker, I decided to give it a try. I got lucky and bought it on Amazon yesterday for $79.99, just before it jumped to $89.99. Even at that price it's still a deal as most paid $150 or more for the electronic brick gizmo when it first became available. I recall reading a review somewhere that stated, "Get it now while it's on sale for $139." Even Best Buy currently has it on clearance for $119.99, down from their regular $149.99.

What made this deal sweeter for me was that I was gifted a $50 Amazon card for Christmas. So I only had to take $29.99 out of my electronic pocket to pay for it. It should arrive this Saturday. Once I've had a chance to put it to the test, I'll report back.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I've been keeping an eye out for a good wireless speaker for several months, but anything decent came in at $100 and up. Since I usually get at least one Amazon gift card each Christmas, I decided to be patient. When checking up on Amazon deals, I was simply in the right place at the right time.

FYI: This unit can be used plugged in to AC 24/7, with the battery shut off. The weatherproofing should add to its durability, and its wireless portability makes it that much more valuable. The built-in 1 amp USB charger is yet another bonus.

I plan on using it in 3 possible scenarios:

1. As a loud speaker for the TV in the kitchen eating area, using a 3.5mm audio cable.
2. Throughout the house using my smartphone & Bluetooth.
3. Velcro it in my patrol car to listen to Antenne Bayern with my smartphone app, so that I can imaging patrolling Bavarian roads.

It's fun being multi-lingual. Currently I use my smartphone in my patrol car, patched in to the car's cheap stereo to listen to Antenne Bayern. It doesn't help that the front speakers are disconnected for use with the 2-way radio. Anyway, it messes with my prisoner transports when they hear the German voices through the car's rear speakers.

My trainees don't know what to make of me either. One brought me a Korean driver license and told me good luck with that. She was stunned when I read the license, translated it to English and conversed with the Korean women who had just crashed into a building. She already knew Spanish is my primary language, and she was later floored when I was conversing with an elder German woman during a check the welfare.

Hallo? Kannst du mich nun hören? Ich glaube, du bist verrückt. Und Ich bin auch. Ja ja.

Scuzzy; multi-crazy.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I was not aware that you could also speak German, but you forgot to capitalize Raum, Ihrem, Gehirn, and Sprachen. The devil too. Otherwise, good job.

I lived in S. Korea for 2 years and I studied Korean while there. It was also where I met my first wife, a Korean woman. That was long ago and I have forgotten most of what I learned, to include my first wife.

I lived in Germany for 6+ years, and I studied German while there. I continue to use German at every opportunity, to include on Facebook. Recently I began reading German junior books to my granddaughter when she visits. She thinks the German language is funny, and I have to agree. My favorite German number is 555, pronounced: fünf hundert fünf und fünfzig

BTW: "Ja ja" is translated "yeah, yeah."

This 2 minute YouTube video is all you need to know about the German language: German Language Compared To Other Languages

Scuzzy; tied to my wife's apron.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I just received my TDK A33, and I wasted no time plugging it in and setting up the Bluetooth connection to my smartphone.

To begin with, the product itself oozes quality in a manner that I am no longer accustomed to. It really feels like I'm holding a high-quality electronic brick; it has a surprisingly weighty feel to it. Even before I established a connection I knew it was going to sound great.

What I didn't know is how great it was going to sound.  Even with high expectations the A33 did not disappoint. This little brick has bass you can actually feel, yet it isn't that obnoxiously muddy, artificial bass that is all too common with newer electronics. It's not a thumping "in your face" bass, but its surprising when one considers the size of the unit.

The only setback is the included power adapter to charge the unit. It's a good size transformer (wall wart), and it's a proprietary connection to the unit. In other words, charging it with a smartphone charger is not an option. So using it in my patrol car will not work out, since the charge is only good for about 6 hours. I have a 12v to 110v converter, but that's more trouble than I want to go through. (Side note: I bought an Ultimate Ears Mini Boom yesterday on sale for $69.99 at a local Best Buy that will fill that void.)

The A33 is currently connected to the kitchen television via 3.5mm audio cable. The sound is clearly superior to the 24" television itself, to the point of being mismatched. It's simply that good.

For now the A33 will be mostly a stay-at-home unit, with occasional outdoor use.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I am finding myself very much enjoying the A33. It truly is an excellent product that delivers on its promises.

I've been listening to music on the A33 throughout most of the morning. Currently it's a couple rooms over, playing at a lower volume. Even from that distance the sound is pleasant. Closer up and at a higher volume, the sound literally fills the room without being over bearing. Many wireless speakers are simply loud and become tiring to listen to. Not so with the A33.

As much as I like the IE Mini Boom, the A33 is in a completely different league. The Mini Boom does its job in that it increases the volume considerably from the smartphone, but it lacks in the mids and lows compared to the A33. I imagine that listening to the Mini Boom at a loud volume would get tiring before too long.

I'd say the A33 can easily replace what I would consider a quality boombox. It's just that good.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Apparently my A33 likes to take afternoon strolls on the beaches. I've noticed that when the sound is cranked up a little, the unit literally goes for a walk. It's almost comical, until you consider that it could go crashing off of its perch.

It's not a deal breaker, as I love the sound quality. But obviously I need to be careful of its placement.

Scuzzy; maybe I can install a parachute on it.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop