Forgot your password?

IE not working

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

So I have a Windows 7 64-bit computer with IE 11 installed. The computer is fully updated and spotlessly clean of any malware.

Yesterday I tried to access Internet Explorer, just to find out that it will no longer open. I have no idea how long the problem has been present, as I very rarely go into IE. It's been several weeks, if not months, since I last had any reason to use IE.

I have tried everything I can think of to no avail, and there is no rhyme or reason that I can think of for IE to suddenly stop working. SFC /scannow found no errors, and I have not installed any new programs.

I updated the video driver, but no difference. I even went as far as removing IE11 and then reinstalling it. No difference. I reset IE 11 to factory default (to include personal options), but again no difference.

Looking online for help, I tried removing all unneeded services. Nothing. I went into IE properties>>Advanced and checked "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering." Again, no go.

As a last ditch attempt, I used System Restore and went back 10 days. After a restart, no difference other than I had to reinstall a printer driver.

As a kicker, I can access the IE engine through Firefox. This is an add-on feature that allows me to use the IE engine within a Firefox tab. No problems there.

My main computer has a nearly identical setup (very, very minor differences), but IE 11 works fine on it.

Now I'm off to work, so this will have to wait.

Scuzzy; *sigh*

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

One thing you didn't mention are new updates to Win 7 in the last several days.  Maybe roll back one  or two........ Wouldn't be the first time Updates have screwed with something else.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

That thought crossed my mind, Bill. I have not poked in that area yet.

Funny that my main computer has the same setup, software and updates. Yet obviously something is different. Regardless, I will have a look as soon as I get some time.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Problem resolved. I began closely examining any possible difference in software between my main computer and the computer that was giving me fits with IE. I found the difference.

About 6 weeks ago I installed Microsoft's EMET 5.0 for the added security. I figured I'd try it on this system and later install it on my main system. Instead, I promptly forgot about it.

I checked and learned 5.0 had compatibility issues with IE 11. So I updated EMET to 5.1 and the problem is resolved.

Scuzzy; that was easy.