Forgot your password?

iPhone on Verizon Wireless

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I was out earlier today and stopped by the local Verizon store to poke around. I came across the iPhone 4 section where they had 3 demos on display.

I picked one up and began playing with it. It was my first time holding an iPhone and the curiosity got the best of me. I spent a good 10 or 15 minutes with it, and it only took a couple seconds to find myself online.

I plugged in poasters.com and clicked a poast or two. The speed and clarity was amazing. Then I decided to play the video poasted on the forum's front page. It took a few minutes to fully download, but I was very impressed with the playback. Wow! It seemed to look better on the iPhone than at home.

I am not keen on the idea of plunking down a few hundred dollars for a phone, or having to pay an extra $30 monthly ($24 after discount). But I can see why people are so gaga over the iPhone. It is very impressive.

I'll wait till the iPhone 5 comes out this summer and I'll make a decision then. I have 4 phones on our current plan, all of which are past the 2-yr contract. I really don't like the idea of being stuck with another 2-yr contract, which means I'd have to pay full price for the phone. That's $649 for the 16MB; $749 for the 32MB. Ouch. The 2-yr plan takes $500 off the price of either phone. Seems cheaper, since the cancellation fee is $350.

Maybe I don't need one that badly. We'll see what the summer brings.

Scuzzy; can you hear me now?

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

When you have time, you should probably compare it to the android powered units. 

Bill
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Most of my kids have Android phones, except for a daughter who lives out of state. She owns an iPhone. I've also messed with the Android phones considerably at Verizon. I nearly bought a Motorola Droid X a few months ago, but thought twice.

I like(d) the Android phones, but I was very impressed with how smooth and easy the iPhone was. What really blew me away was the "retina" display.

Part of my dilemma with Android phones is the endless updates and customization with different manufacturers. Good luck finding an Android phone that simply runs on a clean version of Android without having to jump through hoops. Naturally, Apple builds and customizes the phone and software as it sees fit. But at least Apple gets it right and users don't have to put up with countless updates and wondering if the update will work on their phone.

Still, I can wait for this summer. The expense makes it something I'm not willing to simply jump into.

Scuzzy; or next summer for that matter.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Smart man!
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

I just looked at the prices for these phones. The cheapest one is $350, the most expensive put me into a seizure so I was looking for some dilantan! Carrying one of those things around would put me in fear of being celljacked. Spend too much time looking over my shoulder. I'll stick to the old trusty (well some of the time) straightalk.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

So far I've resisted buying a smart phone. To be honest, I simply quit thinking about it as I'm quite happy with my regular phone. Verizon has been trying to get me to renew for the last year with a hundred bucks off on a new phone, but I'm not all that interested. At least not now.

I bought a new Samsung Convoy 2 basic phone for a family member recently, but I had to buy it online. When we went to our local Verizon store, they only had smart phones on display along with a couple feature phones.

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

I don't use the cell phone a lot so I signed up for straight talk for $30/mo. For awhile I hated them for having to deal with people who couldn't speak plain English. Activation was a pain. But now that I've got it going there haven't been any problems for about a year. They have good Nokia phones, one for about a hundred. The problem is they have keyboards which I would use rarely. I like the big touchscreen but the only one they have is a Samsung which got horrible reviews. I'm going to stick to the basic Motorola which works find for what I want to do. It won't do email but there is nothing to upgrade to that really interests me. I've looked at the others like T-Mobile and their smartphones are also way too much $$. tom