Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Domain name questions

Traveller

Poaster
Posts 382
Report to moderator

Hi All.

I haven't posted in such a long time! I hope everyone's ok.

I'm a little unclear about some aspects of domain names and wondered if anyone could provide any advice.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/about-e5-2012-02-25-en

According to the ICANN website,

'The responsibility for operating each gTLD (including maintaining a registry of the domain names within the gTLD) is delegated to a particular organization. These organizations are referred to as "registry operators" or "sponsors." Currently, the following gTLDs are operated under contract with ICANN: .aero, .biz, .cat, .com, .coop, .info, .jobs, .mobi, .museum, .name, .net, .org, .pro, and .travel.'

Firstly, is the delegated organisation referred to above, the company that comes up with the gTLD and submits an application for it to be accepted? Say for example I come up with the gTLD .poasters and submit an application to ICANN, would I then be the 'owner' of that gTLD? If so, what would happen if me/my company ceased existing, etc? How would that affect customers who have registered that domain name, for example, whoever registered forum.poasters?

Do ccTLD names, such as .com or .co.uk, work in exactly the same way (apart from restrictions such as only persons belonging to that country may use them)?

The above brings me onto my next question, which requires an answer from someone who knows about politics, haha! If a ccTLD name can only be registered by a user residing in that country/region, what would happen if the country/region stopped being part of that country/region? For example if a customer resides in the UK and has registered a ccTLD that requires them to reside in an 'EU member state', eg. Italy, what would happen if the UK stopped being an 'EU member state' in future? Would the customer have to change their email/website address?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Hi Traveller, welcome back.  I'm guessing but if anyone here knows, it will be Scuzzy.  Hang on, he's around every day.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I have no answer for the political side. That's a lot to munch on.

Whoever submits the request for a domain gTLD will likely be the owner. ICANN requires 3 contacts:

1. The owner
2. The administrator
3. The technical contact

As in the case of poasters.com, the same person can be all three.

To answer your question, whoever is listed as the owner for the gTLD (generic Top Level Domain) gets to keep it as long as the fees are paid. If the owner is listed as a company, i.e. "Poasters LLC", then it simply becomes a company asset. If the company is dismantled, the gTLD would remain until the contract expires. Unless, of course, the company canceled the gTLD prior to shuttering.

I have no idea what the price is for a gTLD, but I'm guessing it must be very expensive.

FYI: I am knowledgeable in the area, but I am by no means an expert. Some things are worth consulting with an attorney first.

Traveller

Poaster
Posts 382
Report to moderator

Thanks for the replies, Bill/Scuzzy.

It's ok, I'm not a company or anything, just inquiring on a personal basis. So I take it that if I were to register forum.poasters for example and my email address was info@forum.poasters and then owner of .poasters went out of business or cancelled, then I'd have to register a new domain and change my email address. If this is the case, would it better to resist the fancy new gTLDs and go for .com, .co.uk, etc, and ccTLDs as they would be the safest ones to not cease to exist?

Thanks.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

You are correct in your assessment. As to whether it's best to avoid a new gTLD, it will depend largely on the needs of the company.

If I recall correctly, the cost of a new gTLD is in the tens of thousands of dollars. I believe it is over $30k to avoid a bunch of nuisance gTLD's from cropping up.

Traveller

Poaster
Posts 382
Report to moderator

Thanks Scuzzy. It's encouraging to know that only serious applications are made. I suppose, however, that anyone can still go out of business.