Date: 28 March 24, 03:53 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

T-mo plans

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I talked to T-mo today, on line, after I looked at the web site.  First thing that struck me was $70 for a single plan.  Then I discovered the 55Plus plan for a single phone line $55 plus $24 for the 6T.  Which is about what my VZ account costs, the difference for me is the convenience of buying the phone from the carrier, rather than having to bring it to VZ.
The prepaid plan just doesn't taste right.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I completely forgot to mention the 55+ plan. I'm glad you found it. Has your friend tested his T-Mo phone at your home yet?

You mentioned about not stressing over things that aren't permanent. I recall my first cell phone plan being with AirTouch some 20 years ago. At some point I ended up with AT&T for a couple years or so. The coverage wasn't bad, but the customer service was beyond horrible. I dumped AT&T in favor of T-Mobile. I hung on to T-Mo for several years until I became a patrol officer. T-Mo's coverage at the time left much to be desired, especially in rural areas, and my cellphone was often just a brick that I carried around in my pocket.

I jumped over to Verizon and stayed with them for about 7 or 8 years. While the coverage was mostly dependable, they were expensive. For several years I paid too much, until a friend convinced me to try T-Mo again. In October 2013, after feeling gouged by Verizon and their stupid contracts, I bought my first smartphones and moved back to T-Mo. I recall spending about $2k for four smartphones.

While T-Mo hasn't been perfect, they have worked out very well for us and our needs. Even when traveling across the USA, I don't have much to complain about. Over the last 5 years, I've noticed nothing but great customer service and continued increased coverage.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

No test yet, but I was there for dinner last night and pushed him a little.  They are on the 55 plus plan and are quite happy with the service and their coverage.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Pushing must have helped.  He did a drive by and from one end of the street to the other. Signal ran 2 to 5 bars, certainly enough to combine with a T-mo cell spot for inside signal.  So now it's just a  matter of waiting for the escape from VZ but the plan is finished.
Come on 6T......

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Good deal. I should probably do a T-Mo CellSpot signal booster for my home. Just beware that T-Mobile was silly in naming 2 separate products a CellSpot. One is the T-Mobile CellSpot router, and the other is the T-Mobile CellSpot signal booster. When ordering, make sure you are very clear on exactly which product you want.

I would suggest you get what works best for your needs, but here's something to consider. The signal booster does exactly that, and your T-Mobile phone will still take advantage of your home's WiFi for making calls. This will also allow you to get maximum data from your smartphone, independent of your router. For that reason alone, the signal booster is likely your best option.

I do not profess to be an expert, so please feel free to get other opinions.

If you go with T-Mo, you may just want to get your phone in hand and see if you even have a need for a boosted signal. Or you can always take advantage of the wireless router offer to replace whatever you have now.

How-To Geek has some excellent advice to consider in reference to the router: Think Twice About Getting a Microcell... After I read this article, I'd probably stick with the signal booster instead.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Yes, I think you're right. I have an almost new ASUS router that puts out a very consistent and strong signal.  My Moto uses it for wi-fi.  I also have a VZ signal booster which doesn't work as well.  I have the phone on the desk and it is showing 3 of 5 bars of cell signal and max wi-fi.
The VZ signal booster is on the window sill behind me.

I hadn't planned on ordering anything until I have the 6T in the house. 
If George's signal survey is correct I should be OK.