Date: 14 May 24, 13:00 PM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Scanner recommendations & reviews

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I am considering investing in a scanner for photos and documents.  I'm interested in quality, price, ease of use and any guidance you'd like to offer on the process.

Thanks

Bill
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

I have the Cannon MP600 printer/scanner and that seems to work fine for my needs. All I use for scanning in pictures is the Windows Fax and Scan utility. That also does a good job. For touch ups, which are only needed occasionally, I use Photoshop Elements.

SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I suppose it depends on what exactly your needs are. If you want an all-around portable scanner that does a fairly good job and is easy to use, the CanoScan LiDE series are hard to beat. No power bricks are a plus, as they are USB driven. Models are available for well under $100.

If high-quality photo scans and speed are important, then a full size photo scanner from Epson or Canon should top your list. Prices will begin in the low $100 range.

The software is another subject. The included software might be all you need. But if you want total control with lots of editing features, then you'll have to invest in something like PaperPort, which is expensive and bloated (I'm talking obese). Software options, unfortunately, are limited.