MS OneDrive

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

JA,

I know you recently started using Microsoft's OneDrive cloud storage. Did you also install the OneDrive program to sync your files between your computer and the cloud?

I received the HP tablet I ordered through Microsoft, which includes the 1-year Office 365 subscription. Part of that subscription includes 1 TB of OneDrive storage space. With previous promotions, I now have a total of just over 1.2 TB of space available to me. I just installed the OneDrive sync program on my computer and I will see how it compares to Dropbox for syncing files. I don't really expect any drastic differences, but I'm wondering what your experience has been so far, if any.

I'm thinking it's time for me to put all this extra space to good use, so I'm moving my Dropbox folder to OneDrive. I'm even gonna sync the kitchen sink, in case everything sinks. I think that would really stink.

BTW: Our youngest is now the proud owner of a new HP Stream 7" tablet. She happened to be visiting when the tablet arrived, so she happily got it by default.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I've started moving stuff over from Dropbox to OneDrive. It's gonna take awhile to transfer several gigs of files, and to point various programs to the new directories.

Scuzzy; finger pointing.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

The transfer is slowly lumbering along. It choked a couple times due to the amount of data I threw at it. I have about 85% of my Dropbox data transferred so far. Once complete, I need to start uploading my photos, which should take a few days doing it in small chunks.

Scuzzy; not chunky.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

So far things are working well, although I still have a few things to move over. But I found one thing I don't like about OneDrive. It seems to be tied in to both of my computers' Recycle Bins. When I delete a file (online or offline), the deleted file shows up in both Recycle Bins. This seems to be by default with no means of disabling it. There's nothing in the OneDrive settings to control this.

The setting is also pretty aggressive. For example, if I delete a file on Computer A or on Computer B, it will show up on both Recycle Bins as well as on the online's Recycle Bin. If I delete a file online, it then shows up in the online Recycle Bin along with both of my computers' Recycle Bins.

EDIT: I completely disabled the Recycle Bins on my computers. It seems that's the only fix.

EDIT AGAIN: Disabling the computers' Recycle Bins seems to be the best solution, at least for me. I have never used the Recycle Bin, so I won't miss it. The deleted file still shows up in the online's Recycle Bin, but I'm okay with that as it's simple enough to manage.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Disabling the Recycle Bin is easy. Just right-click on it, then select properties. From there you simply uncheck the drives that you don't want Recycle Bin backing up. You can also resize the Recycle Bin in the same area.

I understand some people use the Recycle Bin and like it, but I'm not in that camp. It's not that I have a problem with it, I simply prefer to not use it. I'd rather manage my own files as I see fit.

I would prefer to be able to undo that feature in OneDrive (it be nice to at least have the option), but this workaround works for me.

Scuzzy; always look on the bright side of life.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I finally got the last file moved over from Dropbox to OneDrive. So far it's working well, and my Recycle Bin solution is working well as well.

Scuzzy; well, thank you.