Date: 28 March 24, 02:55 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

How Can I Open IE11 with Google Chrome as My Browser?

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

After installing Google Chrome I wanted to have Internet Explorer 11 available as a backup.

After installing Internet Explorer 11, I have found no way to open it as my browser.

When I go to Internet Options via the Control Panel, Internet Explorer is not listed as a default option.

What can I do?

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Thanks for reply, but there's no Internet Explorer, Microsoft Internet Explorer or Windows Accessories listed in my Start Menu.

Any other suggestion?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

To prepare for reinstalling Internet Explorer 11, I followed these steps to remove possible corrupted previous Internet Explorer update:

"Removing IE 11 in Windows 7 is simple, but the option is a little hidden away. You’ll need to crack open the Control Panel -> Programs -> Uninstall a program.

From here, you’ll need to click View installed updates on the sidebar. Then find Internet Explorer 11 in the list view, right-click on it and hit Uninstall"

Then I used the IE11 installation link suggested by JA.
Everything seemed to be going fine till I got this message: "Internet Explorer did not finish installing" --- along with a link to "Internet Explorer Troubleshooter"

There was nothing in that link that seemed to apply in any way to my circumstances.

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

I went for the "update uninstall" because a previous try at installing IE11 got me a message saying installation could not be completed since there was a newer version already installed.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Sorry for the delay, kinda busy...

I don't know why you're having this problem, but I  suspect a corrupted system file. Open a command window (Windows-R) and run the command "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes). Hopefully that will get it  resolved so that you can completely install IE11.

The fact that you would have to go through all of this in the first place is yet another reason to avoid IE whenever possible.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

I've settled on GoogleChrome as my browser, with FireFox installed as backup should GoogleChrome falter. Thanks to all who replied.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I'm sorry we were unable to help you fix the core of the problem, but getting away from IE all together is probably best anyway. I avoid IE except when I have no other reasonable alternative available.