Date: 29 March 24, 00:45 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

New Bluray Drive

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

I suppose this is an upgrade and since there is nothing in this board, I'll go ahead and poast here.  ;)

I recently bought my first Bluray drive, the LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM SATA for my HTPC system that I have connected to my tv.
Even though the drive was OEM, it came with a SATA cable and software, an older version of Power DVD 8.x. I never did install that software opting for trial versions of Power DVD 10 and Total Media Theater 3.

I couldn't ever get the TMT3 to recognize my sound connection using the SPDIF connection that lets the sound travel over the HDMI cable, worked ok on my other system, but not the one I use for HTPC. So I ended up buying the Power DVD 10, which works very well for Bluray playback.

I use what's called cinema mode for playing Bluray disks, this plugs into Windows Media Center and allows the use of a remote which is a good thing as all the bluray disks I've played dissables the use of the mouse.

For the most part I'm very satisfied with the overall experience. Picture quality is great, sound is good and with some movies like Shrek, it was like walking around inside the movie. I do notice the disk needs to be in good shape as there is not much allowance for scratches or pits, they just don't play well.

SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

I'm glad that worked out for you. I always wondered what the benefit is of an HTPC system, vs. a traditional entertainment system.

When we want to watch a movie, we just plug it in to our Sony Blu-ray player and crank up the receiver. We use the same system for watching Netflix "Watch it Now", and other Internet provided flicks.

As for keeping discs in good shape, that's always a challenge when kids are around. Discs are often touted as being very durable, but reality is something different.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Scuzzy,
" crank up the receiver." 
When you used the word receiver, do you mean a TV with an internet connection?
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

My entertainment system consists of a Samsung widescreen TV, a Sony Blu-ray player, and a Sony digital (DTS) surround receiver (integrated 7.1 channel, 770 watt amp & preamp). The latter is hooked to a JBL 5.1 speaker system. When cranked, the entire house rumbles (all 4200 sq ft).

The Sony Blu-ray player is what's hooked to the Internet and provides various streaming options, to include Netflix.

Edit: I meant the Sony receiver is a 7.1 system, not a 6.1. However, I'm using it as a 5.1 (5 surround speakers; 1 subwoofer).

pat

xTreme Super Poaster
Posts 6083
Report to moderator

I always wondered what the benefit is of an HTPC system, vs. a traditional entertainment system.

As did I, and as I still sometimes do. On the one had with the traditional players that are available, especially the network connected ones, it's certainly the easier option. Stick the disk in it plays, click the Netflix option, it plays. No building or configuring of a computer and certainly less money.

On the other hand, I am able to browse to any site that has a video option and play content or load video files from various devices and either play or save to disk for playback at a later date. I'm also able to record tv to disk for a latter time, my whole library of pictures is available to view on the tv from the comfort of my couch. Can also play PC games on the bigger screen and of course this is also another computer to use for any computer related activities. Many times my wife will be on one computer and the other will be using the one connected to the tv. And I suppose as things change updates can be made to a computer that won't be so easy with a dedicated player.

Plus it gives me something to mess around with.  :)
SeaSonic M12II 620W, ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870, AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz, Crucial 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850, Kingston HyperX 120G 120GB Solid State Boot Drive, WD Caviar 1 TB Storage Drive, LG DVD-RW, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw 21" LCD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Both sound impressive.  Thanks for the explanation.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit