Forgot your password?

Rise Broadband

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Many Years ago I was using Falcon Broadband, which provided wireless internet for my home. That went on for a few short years, until service for this area was bought out by Skybeam Internet. Then in 2015, Skybeam itself was acquired by Rise Broadband, which is what I'm using now.

Overall I have few complaints. While it's anything but perfect, it is mostly dependable with "okay" speeds. For a little while I had speeds of up to 20 Mbps, but that didn't last long at all. For the last few years I've been plugging along with 10 Mbps on a good day. It's just enough to get the job done with a household of Netflix users.

Recently, Rise Broadband did some upgrades. While I did not receive any notification, I went snooping and learned that Rise Broadband speeds now start out at 25 Mbps. I made a phone call earlier today and got myself hooked up for the new 25 Mbps service. Note that for the moment I'm still capped at 10. Not only am I going to get faster speeds, but my monthly bill will also drop from $45.18 to $35.18.

I'm also currently capped at 300GB of monthly data, which I come close to now and then. With the new plan that will change to 350GB a month. My youngest will be moving out within the next week. As you might imagine she's a heavy internet user, so that will help as well.

I was told that no installation appointments were available, and that I would receive a call when some slots opened up. I just checked my email and learned that a tech will arrive tomorrow morning to upgrade my service.

Scuzzy; good thing I'm retired. :)

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Retirement is a good thing!  But it sounds like your internet situation is about to get much better.  Not great but better.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I just checked my speed after the upgrade. My internet clocked in at 26.55 Mbps down and 4.23 Mbps up. That's the fastest download speed I've ever had at home. Too bad that upload speeds aren't better.

Both Verizon and T-Mobile are planning 5G Fixed Wireless internet for rural customers. Verizon already started testing and is reporting an average download speed of 300 Mbps; with peaks near 1 Gbps. Verizon has the lead for now, with 5G mobile to follow. T-Mobile is prioritizing 5G mobile, with fixed wireless for rural customers to follow. T-Mobile is estimating rural customers should average 500 Mbps down. T-Mo's version should be fully deployed within the next 2 years.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

What is fixed wireless internet?
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I am currently using fixed wireless internet, which is popular among rural users. It's been around for quite some time, as in over 15 years.

I have a small dish on my roof that points to a radio tower. The connection is "fixed wireless", as the dish points directly at the radio tower and is not designed to be mobile. A Cat6 cable runs into my house from the dish and connects directly to my router. There is no modem involved.

Verizon and T-Mobile will both use the same technology, but with 5G signals. That will pretty much blow the socks off of the current fixed wireless setups.