Forgot your password?

MS Anniversary Edition

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

This morning I had an unpleasant surprise waiting for me at my home Windows 10 computer. It seems Microsoft decided it was time for me to get the Anniversary Update  (ver. 1607) whether I like it or not. When I woke up my computer, I had a message that my system was going to restart and to not shut the computer off. Great, I don't have time for this as I'm getting ready for work. No matter, there is no other choice. Thankfully my wife's computer was asleep overnight and did not get the update, so I was able to get some work done while mine ingested some MS drugs.

My computer went through 2 or 3 restarts while I did what I needed on my wife's system. After about 20-ish minutes I noticed my computer was at the login screen. I managed to log in after the second try, once I realized that my NumLock was off. After logging in I still couldn't do anything, as apparently it wasn't done updating.

I came back after breakfast and found a somewhat familiar looking desktop, along with an ominous warning about not having a Microsoft account. Uh... I don't have one because I don't freakin' want one. I immediately cleared the unwanted message. I also found MS reactivated Cortana and added it to my taskbar again, along with some other icons that I had cleared in the past.

I restarted my system in disgust, to find that the NumLock is apparently permanently switched off after a restart. Gee, thanks a lot Microsoft. Once the desktop was back up, again I had the ominous warning about not having a Microsoft account. The fact that I don't want one is irrelevant, as Microsoft has determined it is critically important that I have one.

I was running out of time, but a quick check showed that some other unwanted changes were made to my system. On my way out the door, I found that Microsoft apparently did not approve of my screen saver and changed my personal message to something else. I'll have to fight with it when I get home, as I have absolutely nothing else to do with my boring and meaningless life anyway.

Scuzzy; *sigh*

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

JA, I don't understand your fear of losing support for Win 7.  I haven't had any support in about 4 years and my system is none the worse.  In fact I like it just the way it is today.
I run antimalwarebytes frequently and MSSE is running in the background.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I just got home a little while ago to find that my wife's PC is still updating. BTW: My wife started the update at about 7 this morning.  ::)

As for my computer, Windows is harassing the hell out of me to fix my MS account.

Scuzzy; not happy at all.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

It took multiple attempts to figure out how to turn off the warnings, but MS still figured a way to warn me at least once more... just in case. Registry re-edits got my NumLock to stay on as well. A few more tricks "disabled" Cortana, which I despise beyond words. Actually it didn't do much more than remove it from the taskbar, as MS made it a permanent part of Windows. I had to fight the same battle with my wife's computer, but at least both are somewhat usable for now. I'm sure I'll find other headaches along the way.

Scuzzy; I cannot wait for the next major update that will be force fed down my throat.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

There are reports in lots of places of the Anniversary update causing problems or not working at all.  Many are either rolling back the update or switching back to 7.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill, going back to Windows 7 is tempting, but it isn't practical. The amount of work that goes into a project like that is way too time consuming at this point. Plus, I have not forgotten the unresolved problems I had trying to install Windows 7 on my new systems: Windows 7 vs Windows 10

I have so far been able to resolve all of the problems the Anniversary update caused me, but this has left me very bitter toward Microsoft. At some point I will have to seek out an alternative OS. My biggest problem now is that I need the Windows platform along with MS Office so that I can remain compatible with my employer.

The problem with reverting the update is that this is Windows 10 we're talking about. At some point the update will be force fed down my throat again. And what if reverting the update fails? Then what? I really don't have the time to be messing with this crap as I have more pressing things to deal with.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

As I mentioned above, I already fixed the problem. The issue is that I had to do any of that in the first place.

I did not ask for this update that was force-fed down my throat when I least expected it, and which did nothing more than cause me problems when I didn't have time to deal with this crap. That's the whole problem.