Date: 15 April 24, 23:47 PM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

directv - looking for plaintiffs

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

I am not a football fan. It's too violent, reminds me of uncivilized Roman gladiator blood sport. PBS/Frontline just aired a 2-hour documentary about early painful deaths among retired pro football players from encephalitis. Horror stories.

I recently noticed an increase in my directv bill/statement. I auto pay online so I usually throw away statements in the mail (very bad mistake).

I looked and there is a $34 monthly charge for NFL Sunday football!! I couldn't believe it. I called them and they said I got a "free" trial and because I didn't call to cancel I now have to pay. I asked if I could cancel because I didn't even know about it, not a football fan, and they said, nope, you are liable. No cancellation!!

I'm in the legal profession & this sounds pretty outrageous. I contacted 3 lawyers who do class actions. Two of them are interested. I am asking directv for documentation where it shows I am responsible for the charge. They're stalling me. This is worth looking into for a class action.

Anyone out there who feels he/she has also been scammed?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10158
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

Well, I won. Big. I was so infuriated I wrote them a formal letter, demanding they show me where I agreed to their football package. I attached a lot of documentation - customer agreement, statements, etc - and  told them if they didn't cancel it and refund the $187.45 they had already charged me I was going to file a lawsuit in a specific court here. It was a 3-page letter with a lot of other specifics. They didn't write back. They called me within a few days. They said they want to keep their reputation for customer satisfaction, said they were sorry and would cancel and refund. My statement for this month shows the $187.45 refund. I'm grateful they did this but it cost me a lot of grief, anger, research and hours of time! They said that all new customers are automatically given the football package free for a year. They then put in a future statement that if you don't call to cancel you start paying. It is especially distasteful because there is now clear evidence that all football, pro or otherwise, causes brain damage. It is inherent in the sport. It can't be eliminated by better helmets or anything else. I admit I watch a smattering of college football but never professional because it seems so methodical, boring and violent. But I will be watching every statement I get in the mail from directv, at&t, and all the rest. You can't trust them. We live in a predatory culture now - corporations are the predators, we are the prey. It was't always like that.