Date: 29 March 24, 00:53 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

WMP Stuck in HP Computer, "lame" file missing

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

My new HP computer came pre-loaded with WMP, but nowhere can I find what version of WMP I have. Also, this WMP does not appear among the programs that I can download (in case I want to reinstall it or install a newer version).

Apparently I have somehow deleted my "lame_enc.dll" file. So I thought I might recover it by reinstalling WMP. Any thoughts on this?

hoosier

Poaster
Posts 470
Report to moderator

Thanks Ja! Good stuff.

On further sleuthing I found that if you press Alt while on WMP page you can select "Show menu bar" and from there you can go to Help and About where I see my Version is 12.0.7601.17514

Which brings me to the most stupid thing I've seen yet in Windows 7-----you need to press Alt on any page where you want the "File Edit View Favorites Tools Help" menu bar to be displayed-----then you have to right click on the bar and check "Menu Bar" in order to keep the menu bar displayed. What the hell was Microsoft thinking?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Hoosier,

MS has had that option for sometime now. I prefer it, as I'd rather have the extra screen space. As you already found out, all you have to do is hit the Alt key to bring up the menu. If you right-click in the menu area, you can check "Menu" to have it permanently displayed. I have the menu disabled wherever possible, including Firefox.