Date: 29 March 24, 00:19 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Windows Image restore

seriousdamage

Poaster
Posts 167
Report to moderator

Hello, hope you are all good and happy new year... even if a little late.
I am in the middle of doing something that I am not sure it will even work so I thought I'd check with you.

I have a PC with windows 10, which auto upgraded from win7 during a cold winter night....
I formatted this PC using DBan and re-installed Win7 using original CD
Once the installation was complete I did some Windows updates including Service Pack 1,
I was able to deffer the notice that I had an old windows version and that I should upgrade to Windows 10 for the moment.
In addition I installed about 5 programs.

So here is my question, if I make an image of the Partition where Windows is installed using "Ease US"
Next time I want to reformat the PC, my idea would be that I re-install Win7 again manually, but than instead of going trough the pain of windows updates (which take longer than the full windows installation), and re-installing all the programs, I would use the image I made...
But would than this image contain the updates, the service pack and the programs or will it only have files?

Thanks a lot for your wisdom

Regards
Nic
Windows 7 Home Professional (x64) Service Pack 1, Asus P8Z77-V, Intel Core I7 3770K 3.50 Ghz, 16 GB, PC3-memory, Asus Radeon HD 7970, Samsung 840 Pro Series 256 GB, S-ATA III.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

If you image your Windows partition, you will have an exact copy of your Windows system at the time you made that backup. The image will include all the files and updates that were installed on the drive you imaged.

I'm not too familiar with EaseUS. I use Macrium Reflect Free instead, which I started using it at Bill's recommendation. It works well for me and I find it to be very reliable. I have considered upgrading to the paid version, but the free version is so good as-is that I cannot justify the paid version. Regardless, if you're comfortable with EaseUS it should be fine. Both accomplish the same thing as far as imaging is concerned.

Just keep in mind that whatever program you use to create the image, will be the same program you will need to restore it.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Happy New Year to you as well. I was an EaseUS fan until I found Macrium Refleck.  I use it to do regular backups as well.  One of the things I like about Macrium is that it has a "memory."  I store backup images on a spinner drive that I disconnect from the motherboard when I'm finished. When its time, I reconnect the drive and Macrium "remembers" where the image is stored and removes the old copy when you make a new one.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

As an FYI, I have been meaning to try Aomei Backupper Standard Free after reading many positive reviews. I finally installed it this morning and I have to admit that I'm very impressed. It is super easy to use with a very clean interface.

For now I have both Macrium and Aomei installed, as nothing says I can't have both. :)

seriousdamage

Poaster
Posts 167
Report to moderator

Thanks Guys, actually before I formatted the PC, I was checking what programs I had installed and Macrium was there, but I did not know what it was,
tomorrow I will make the image, I will give a try to Aomei.

Thanks
Nic
Windows 7 Home Professional (x64) Service Pack 1, Asus P8Z77-V, Intel Core I7 3770K 3.50 Ghz, 16 GB, PC3-memory, Asus Radeon HD 7970, Samsung 840 Pro Series 256 GB, S-ATA III.