Date: 28 March 24, 03:04 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

thinking about new build

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I believe it has something to do with the LEDs on the front of the m/b.  Not particularly a fan of flashing lights on a computer, although they seem to be popular with others. Thanks for the link.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Ah, yes. There's more if you click the "See All Downlods" link under "Utilities". That's where I saw the Ai software (Version 1.01.40) and wrongly attributed to Aura V1.05.16.

Either way, what I learned from my experience is that unless you're confident you need it, then you're better off without it. Even the process of installing and eventually uninstalling ASUS Ai was a total nightmare.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Tracking info on the cooler from Hong Kong shows it should be here in a couple days.  It arrived in the states yesterday.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I've started. As an aside, it looks like this version of the Fractal has raised mounts for the SSD, maybe 1/4". 
Do you recall, there is a wire bundle installed in the case, some of them are front/top USB, etc., but there look to be wires with connectors for the optical drive already in place?

I have to say, so far this case is well thought out, the Seasonic packaging was impressive, as was the stuff that came from Hong Kong.  Lots of overkill.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

That's great news on the SSD mount. It's nice to know the problem was addressed. Still, I really like your idea of mounting the SSD using Velcro. Even if you mount it to the back plate, the Velcro would still make servicing the SSD very easy. I wish I had thought of that, but I will keep it in mind if I ever find myself having to remove the SSD. I hope it's something I'll never have to do, as it would currently involve removing the mobo. It could also involve removing both PSU & mobo from my wife's system, depending on which of the two mounted SSD units needs servicing.

As for the bundled wiring, I only recall connectors for the USB, audio/microphone, and case fans, along with the standard mobo connectors.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

When I quit yesterday, all remaining is to mount the cooler and M2 and then tackle the wiring.  But as far as I can tell the only SATA cable is for the optical drive.  I think the connections I asked about yesterday are for the USB 2 & 3 front ports.  I had a minor problem seating the CPU and it's restraint and I hope I didn't do any damage, have my fingers crossed.  I understand it's easy to bend the pins.

I should get to the software later.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I'm somewhat confused about the SATA cable. Did the motherboard come with a single SATA cable as an accessory? Or does the case have a SATA cable as part of the internal wiring? If it's part of the case wiring, then I can't imagine what its purpose would be other than to feed an external SATA connector. My case does not have such a feature.

Unless you were brutal with the CPU, bent pins are visible and are normally easy to correct with a bit of care. If you in fact had bent pins, you would not have been able to fully seat the CPU.

I'm still hoping all goes well and I'm looking forward to your report. :)

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks, I hadn't considered all that, maybe I was lucky.  The CPU is seated properly now. The connectors I asked about are a puzzle, there is one long flat one that looks like SATA but isn't.  There are 3 odd shaped ones, sort of fan connector looking, all on very short wires.  I haven't found a use for any of them.  No matter, I have it together but haven't turned it on yet.  I have a few pictures to poast shortly. 

The M2 SSD was a shock, it is maybe an inch wide and 2.5" long.  I was expecting something much bigger.  The mounting screw is smaller than a standard HD mounting screw ands fits into a standoff on the M/B securing the loose end of the M2.  It was a bit difficult.
The front panel connectors gave me fits, they're poorly marked and I am not at all certain any of them are right, we'll see.

I decided to mount the EVO SSD on the rear mount as you did but I had a SATA cable with straight ends and was able to use a middle connector on the power cable that feeds the optical drive, and it all fit, tightly but they fit with out modifying the SSD mount.

More to come......

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Much too dark but you get the idea.....

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I just discovered I don't have an extra video cable to set up the new machine, I have duplicates of everything else.  Start up is going to wait until I can go to walmart....

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Your build looks hauntingly familiar, and is beautifully clean. Good work! :) I really like the change to the SSD mount. I see that the SSD now sits on a detachable mount, whereas mine attaches directly (and flatly) to the back tray. BTW: The problem I had with my SSD mount was with the power cable, not with the SATA cable. Regardless, that problem should not present itself with your new case.

I downloaded the Define R5 user manual. The SATA-looking connector is in fact a receptor for a PSU power connector. It is to provide power from the PSU to the case fans so they can be controlled via the front panel-mounted fan switch (Page 10 of the manual, although no explanation is given). The case fans are then connected directly to the case wiring; not by plugging them into the motherboard's fan connectors. If you connect the case fans directly to the mobo, you will not be able to control the case fan speeds with the switch. My recommendation is to use the switch, as it works exceptionally well. I keep mine at medium speed, #2, and it is barely audible in the dead of night.

I see there is no specific info on the wiring & connectors, beyond what little is on Page 6. Did your mobo come with an adapter to make it easier to connect the power, LED & reset wires? I have never used one, always preferring the direct connection. It is beyond me why mobo & case manufacturers have not come up with a single, universal connector.

I'll gladly pull my computer out and check the connectors if it helps you out. Just say the word and I'll start disassembly.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Everything seems to be OK at the moment, the fans are behaving OK.  Obviously I didn't read enough of the manual! 
The M2 needs a driver before win7 install.  I downloaded the driver file from Samsung, uncompressed it and put the driver on a Thumb drive that my machine recognizes.  However and here is the problem, plugging the thumb drive  into the new machine, the BIOS sees it by name but the win7 install disc doesn't see it.  It asks for a driver, I scan and the thumb drive is not seen at all.

I'm at a loss, going to take a break. I have an errand to  run and maybe then start Googling for a tutorial, or something.
When I get back to it I'm going to recheck the USB connection on the M/B.

Thanks for your help.
BTW the BIOS cpu temp. is 30C with the water cooler.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Maybe Windows is looking for a compressed file? Is it possible the BIOS needs to be updated first? Looking at your ASUS Z170 PRO mobo's download section, they have a Windows 7 setup DVD guide you may want to look at. (Note that this is a .rar download, for which you will need Winzip.)

After poking around YouTube, this solution may work for you: Add NVMe driver support to Windows 7 Installation.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks I will check those out.  And I looked at the R5 user guide and you're right about the fans, I just skipped over it.  But that's correctable before I finish.
I will try the compressed file on the thumb drive after I look at the 2 links you found.

EDIT: the Win 7 Setup guide had 2 foreign language versions and the third was for a raid setup.  Youtube has a couple of options, the one you linked to moves so fast it's hard to follow, but it seems the win7 install has to be copied to a thumb drive and the M2 driver has to be added, not certain how yet but I will tackle it tomorrow (shooting) or Tuesday.  Thanks again.  Doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Last bit of speculation for today.  I'd like your opinion...If I install 7 on the rear mounted ssd, I should be able to run the M2 driver compressed file to install the driver for M2.    Convoluted but maybe........

EDIT
My Aussie friend found this:
https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=59620

Will try tomorrow........

One of the you tube vids. said the only other way to get the driver into the M2 is via a SATA port, not USB.  I'm thinking I could take the new regular SATA drive, attach it to my old system and put the M2 driver on it, put it back into the new one and see if the Win7 installer will recognize the SATA drive as a source. Probably worth a try....... 

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I'm out with my wife and on my smartphone, but your last idea seems worth a try.

How about installing the drivers to the rear mounted SSD?

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I should have read your poast carefully. I see my last idea is the one you already plan on trying.

I know your mobo recognizes both PCIe & SATA M.2 SSDs. Is there a setting for that in the BIOS, or is the M.2 automatically recognized in the proper mode?

As for your idea of installing 7 on the read-mounted SSD in hopes of installing the driver to the M.2, I suppose it could potentially work. No harm in trying, but I'd probably save that for last.

In your mobo user manual (page 2-50 of the downloaded ASUS Z170 PRO English manual), it states that some drivers from the included DVD have to be pre-loaded for Windows 7 to install. Maybe this is related and something worth researching? EDIT: After reading that section again I realize it does not apply to the problem you're having. It's only for pre-loading USB 3.0 drivers.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks for all that, sorry to interrupt your evening.  We have discovered the problem with using the rear SSD.  The Samsung driver is embedded in an install package - an .exe file.  Win 7 install can't deal with the .exe file, only needs the 64 bit driver itself.
The problem Aussie and I are trying to solve now is how to extract the 64 bit driver from the .exe file.  Apparently there are thousands of people dealing with this right now.
One of the suggested methods is to use a program named WIX tool kit, an unknown for me, but some on Tom's Hardware are suggesting a very complicated process......
I'd think Samsung or one of the biggies would put out a tutorial, but that would be too easy.
More to follow I hope.....

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

No interruption at all, I just didn't want to leave you hanging.

I didn't think this would be anywhere as difficult as it is. Is the problem specifically related to installing Windows 7 on an M.2, or is it with any OS?

I cannot understand why Samsung wouldn't simply provide the needed driver so that it is easily recognized by the OS during installation. Damn.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

POSSIBLE SOLUTION!

Check out this reply from "parsec" about half way down the page: Install Windows 7 on 960 EVO

The last link on his reply takes you to a secondary source for the "pure" driver that you need.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

From what I have read, win 8.1 and forward don't have this problem, just win 7 and earlier.
The plan for this afternoon and maybe tomorrow is to install win 7 on the rear SSD, download and run the M2 driver package and then, with some luck, clone or reinstall Win 7 to the M2.  I may have to install something like Easy BCD to be able to boot initially to the M2 and then wipe the rear SSD.  All the while hoping that wiping the first install doesn't remove the SAmsung driver.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Great I will look.  You poasted when I was writing. 

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

OK, I have now d/l and unzipped and have 1 .cat file, 1 .inf file and 2 sys files in a folder.  What to do with them is next.  I'll re-read the thread and look at ASRock forum, have to get ready to Pick up George and clean the ECO.  You have been a great help.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

You might be ahead of me on this, but reference the ASRock help thread this is the link for the step-by-step procedure...

NotebookReview: Installing Windows 7 on an NVME SSD (Note that according to parsec, it's important to follow every step perfectly.)

Looks like several steps are involved. Good luck!

P.S. Please give my best wishes to George and his lovely bride.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Will do, they think a lot of you.  I will get back to this fight later, thanks again.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I just read the parsec procedure you linked above.  Talk about long and complex but there are some steps in there that make me just placing the driver files on the rear SSD won't work.  I'm going to read the other option on that page and decide if it sounds reasonable before trying parsec's option.
\
EDIT: the other option, for me, doesn't sound workable.  I have a formatted 8g thumb drive and I'm going to try parsesc's procedure.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Now I do need your help. I've forgotten all the cmd (dos) commands.  I have to get from C:\users\Bill   to this folder on G:     G:\USB3 Fix

Ideas for Tuesday? Too late today for me -tired.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Holy cow, Bill. I have not used DOS in 20+ years. Thankfully the commands are relatively basic and simple.  ;D

To change to another drive and then to another directory is easy.

***Leave out the quotation marks in my examples.***

1. In the command prompt, simply type and enter "G:"
2. Once in G:, change to the sub-directory by typing and entering "CD\USB3 Fix" (Note the back slash, not front slash)
3. When in a command prompt, you can review the directory files by typing and entering "DIR"
4. To get back to C:, simply type and enter "C:"
5. Entering "CD.." takes you back one sub-directory at a time until you hit the root directory
6. Entering "CD\" immediately takes you to the root directory of whatever drive you're in
7. Entering "Exit" closes the command prompt

You can go straight to a deep sub-directory by entering "CD\FirstDirectory\Second\Third\Fourth\AndSoOn"

BTW: The commands are not case sensitive. Also, in DOS a "folder" is called a "directory". Thus the command CD means Change Directory.

DOS is unforgiving to any typos or misspellings. If a command does not work, double check the characters, spaces (if any), etc.

Scuzzy; thanks for the walk down memory lane. :)

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Again, thank you very much.  I am about 2/3 of the way thru persec's procedure and hope to get through it today, maybe this morning.  Not really difficult but very tedious.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

When you have time, I'm confused...
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-installing-windows-7-on-an-nvme-ssd-from-a-usb-3-0-thumbdrive.783921/

After the first DOS operation with the "boot.wim" file which all worked fine, Just below the cmd window in the Guide it says do the same thing to the "install.wim" file.  Huh? I have gotten to the point where the install.wim file has been mounted.  The next operation with the boot.wim file was to add drivers for USB3.
Do you think I am to add drivers to the Install. wim file as well?  That seems redundant but maybe...I'm not sure it would do any harm...what do you think?

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I've just re-read the second box of code and line 2 answered the question - yes.  Sorry I'm just not really comfortable with this.  I will add the drivers to the Index : 2 which is windows 7 Home premium and see what happens.
EDIT: the author left out the spaces required with the code in the second box.  Guess I'm OK now.  Thanks.

Edit: that all worked, moving now to replacing the 2 files in the windows install image on the thumb drive and adding NVMe drivers.  Getting closer!!!

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Yes, I understood the instructions as doing the same. If you continue in the step-by-step instructions,...

I was just going to explain what you apparently figured out. :)

If you think a phone call will help, we'll work it out together. Looks like you're making good progress though.

Scuzzy; standing by.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Success!!  Windows has loaded and is setting up.  Couple of odd things, didn't get the option to format or partition. Don't yet have internet so for the moment, loading drivers from ASUS disk.  Will update later.   Thanks.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Thanks you helped alot.  Presently updating 131 important (only) updates.  'bout 100 to go, we'll see how it goes.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I'm glad I could help you out. It sounds like you've get this under control now. I'll check back once in awhile to check on your progress.

Again, good work. I'm proud of you for seeing it through.  ;D

BTW: I still recommend that you install all of the optional updates as well, with maybe two or three excluded. For example, I remember leaving out some sort of Skype update as it wasn't something that I was interested in at the time. Installing all of the updates should not cause you any problems or concerns on a fresh Windows 7 installation. Plus, you will be able to control how you receive future updates as always.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

This is ironic. As I was getting ready to click "Post" on my last message (reference the updates), my Windows 10 system told me that new updates were just installed on my computer and that the system needed to restart. I looked over at my wife's system and it had the same message. Both systems were just rebooted.

Scuzzy; *sigh*

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I have limited updates to "important" ones and they're done.  The only other things I have done is load MSSE and "unchecky"  which I have found to be very useful. 
Have to run an errand for my son, but I will keep you poasted.  Don't know yet when I'm going to switch systems.  Now I have the old one on one monitor and the new one on the other.  2 keyboards and 2 mice, gets confusing some....
Maybe more later.......

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

This morning I ran Crystal Disk Mark on the M2.   Here are the results: read 3306  write 1696
My Plextor numbers are : read 496  write 263

Pretty impressive.

I also dumped the old wired mouse (15yrs. old) in favor of a M510 I had on hand, what a difference.  I am however using the M318e on the old system.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

The numbers are certainly impressive, but how does that translate to everyday use? I  know you just got the system up and running yesterday, but is it planting your butt in your seat when you boot it up? Lol

Out of curiosity, is all the work you did yesterday saved? If you were building an identical system would you be able to use the flash drive you created, or would you have to start over?

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

The flash drive is reusable if the M2 is a Samsung.  The included drivers are specific to the 950 and 960.  I hope if I ever have too do this again Samsung will have developed a solution.
For the time being I have the drive on my desk.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Having had some think time, I think the flash drive could be modified for other brands.  The Samsung drivers are in a folder on the thumb drive named NVME.  One could change that folder name and contents with drivers for another brand, I think.
But I wouldn't want to have to do it again.

And the answer to "does it plant me in the seat", I don't really know yet.  Both are running side by side, each on one monitor.  But I'm not sure if the new one is really faster.  My internet connection has just been improved now with 50 up and down from 15 up and down.  That difference I can see and I'll probably keep it when the trial is over for an additional $10.00/ month.  I'm not certain how to test the two other than by watching.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

During the last 2 days I've been running the 2 machines side by side, the new one is not quite ready to take over.  But I've tried watching the same web site, using the same browser on both monitors and I can clearly see the difference between the Intel onboard graphics and the Gtx 550.  Colors, vibrance, and depth are noticeable.  (The monitors are both ASUS 23" IPS and about a couple of months different in age.)  I haven't decided yet if I want to put up with that difference for about $150.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I am unable to see any difference between my system and my wife's, but they are not exactly side-by-side. Is moving the GTX-550 from the old system an option?

It's awesome that you can get 50Mbps up/down speeds. It could be many, many years before I have that option here. :(

BTW: How's the boot time for the new system?