Date: 28 March 24, 03:14 AM
Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

Best laptop?

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

I want to get a laptop as a backup for my computer and to carry around to coffee shops etc. Anyone have suggestions if price not a factor? Thanks, Tom

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

Thanks for the tips ja. I have plenty of storage space so I wanted a laptop toy to use in case the main computer is down. Also, I need to be more realistic since price is a factor. I will probably get one from a local computer shop or craigslist, which is ok if you are highly selective and very suspicious. It looks like the Dell, Acer and Toshiba make the list for good but not overly expensive.

I don't have a smartphone and won't for awhile.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Geez. I wish I had time to delve into this.

The short story is that I recommend Toshiba and Lenevo laptops. It's not so much that their laptops are that much better than what anyone else offers. However, their support policies are pretty good (in comparison). The exception is Apple, who probably has the best support in the industry.

HP and/or Compaq is one to avoid. Had I known at the time what I know now, I would never have purchased an HP. Both Acer and Dell also have a lot of issues going on.

Like I said, I wish I had the time to explain.

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

Thanks for your input.

I looked at Walmart and they have a large selection for buying on the side and shipped free to a store of your choice. Some of the cheaper ones had "Windows 7 Starter" as opposed to full os. I bet this means more $$ later?

I like the little notebooks with the 10" screen bec I have my big 32" tv hooked up to my computer and use that for the monitor. However, this requires the HIMI(sp?) cable plugged into the back of the computer. I'm not seeing this in the specs for the laptops. I wonder if it will work by just plugging the laptop into the computer?

Scuzzy, I'm looking closely at the Thinkpads. Is this the same as Lenovo? I like IBM and have nothing bad. 

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Lenovo took over the IBM laptop/desktop operations some years ago. For the most part, you can consider them one and the same.

Windows 7 Starter is one of the biggest farces Microsoft has foisted on it's customers. It's on the verge of worthless.

The monitor connection you're referring to is "HDMI". Most newer laptops (as well as some smart phones) have that feature.

Make sure that a netbook is REALLY what you want. Don't be fooled by the low prices. The keyboards are cramped and the units leave much to be desired. You may want to consider a small laptop instead, such as a 12" or 13" unit. Your money will be much better spent on a laptop, especially when you consider the crap that W7 Starter really is.

If a laptop is more than what you want, then maybe an iPad (or other tablet) is for you. But make sure you know what you're getting. An iPad is a great tool, but it is NOT a replacement for a laptop.

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

Thanks Scuzzy. I thought it might be a microsoft teaser so I will stay away from it. I'm considering a Thinkpad T60 a guy has for sale for $250. It has windows 7 ultimate, Office 2010, Rosetta, and more. Do you know if it has the slot to connect the HDMI cable? I will take your advice and stay away from the small notebooks. Thanks. Tom

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

Here are the specs on the T60. It doesn't say HDMI so I guess it doesn't have it. It also comes with xp which is a killer. One big reason I'm wanting this is that I've had xp for years and more and more programs don't work with it. This would be a way to get windows 7 without upgrading. This one sells refurbished at amazon for $300 which would be worth it if it had the HDMI and win 7.

"IBM Docking Station Included!!!!!! 1952-AP2 Intel Core Duo T2400 1.83 GHz with Centrino Mobile Technology 667 MHz L2 cache 2 MB 1 GB / 3 GB (max) 60 GB, 5400 rpm CD-RW / DVD-ROM combo 15" TFT active matrix Intel GMA 950 FINGERPRINT READER 1024 x 768 ( XGA ) Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g 2 ( 1 ) x memory - SO DIMM 200-pin 1 ( 1 ) x CardBus - type I/II 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard - 34mm/54mm 1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T - RJ-45 1 x modem - phone line - RJ-11 1 x microphone - input - mini-phone 3.5 mm 1 x headphones - output - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm 1 x docking / port replicator - 168 pin docking 3 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A 1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) 1 x infrared - IrDA Mircosoft Windows XP Professional 6 cell Lithium ion, 5200 mAh AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )6 hrs 12.2" x 10" x 1.2" 5.5lbs"

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

The Lenovo T60 has been around for about 5 yrs. That's an old system by today's standards. Properly refurbished it may be a good deal for specific needs, such as a small home business, but for your needs/desires I'd hold out.

The choice is yours, but I'd keep fishing until you find something you really like. There are plenty of good deals to be found.

Take a look here: http://outlet.lenovo.com/

And here: http://www.thinkpaddepot.com/

You might want to steer toward a unit with "dedicated" graphics instead of "integrated" graphics. Dedicated graphics provide a better graphics experience without degrading system RAM.

Happy hunting.

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

Some of the Acers get very good reviews. I found the Acer Aspire AS5336-2634 new for $300. The one thing that stood out is that it has celeron. Any experiences with this?

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Bear in mind a general rule of thumb; you get what you pay for.  My experience with Acers is that they are short lived but while young (less than 2 years) they're OK.  I have a lenovo thats 3 years old and just as good today as the day I opened the box.

Bill
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

I keep coming back to IBM. THis one gets good reviews:

Lenovo - IdeaPad Laptop / AMD Phenom™ II Processor / 15.6" Display / 3GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive - Black
Model: Z565-43113LU | SKU: 2171094

The cheapest I've found is Best Buy for $454. Much cheaper than amazon and walmart. Do any of you have an opinion on this one?

chopin1397

Poaster
Posts 312
Report to moderator

It has the 64 bit. These are the specs:

AMD Turion™ II Dual-Core P560 Processor
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64
15.6" HD screen (1366x768), 16:9 widescreen
Integrated ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4270 graphics
4GB DDR3 memory, 500GB HDD storage
Integrated high-speed 802.11b/g/n WiFi
Integrated DVD drive
USB 2.0, eSATA connectors and 5-in-1 card reader
Integrated web camera

It has the hdmi (?) port so I can hook it to my 32" flat screen tv/monitor. I'll take amd over intel any day.

I can see this bec the main computer with the old xp floor thing I got used a couple years ago as the backup. It is so far ahead of what I got I don't want to wait.

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

That looks like a great system for the price. Assuming that you're not a gamer, it should do well for you. The integrated graphics will put a slight hit on the system RAM, but you'll never notice as long as the computer is for general use.

JA, it will probably be a couple years before Windows 8 turns gold. Most people aren't willing to wait at this stage of the game.