Do you already have an account?

Forgot your password?

new system recommedations

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Windows Index numbers.

Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Geez, Bill. It looks like you need to add flame pin striping to the side of your case.

The only thing I can think of is that some sort of interference is going on with the M510. Do you have a USB hub that you can temporarily connect between the mouse's connector and the computer, just to see if it makes a difference?

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I don't have one and Logitech warns specifically against trying to use a hub.  I think if it were interference it would probably affect both of them but the only one that's troubled is the one in the new case.  I re-seated the front USB cable when I had the case open.  After I'm pretty sure everything else is as it should be, I'm going to move it back under the desk and try a front port again.  That's the way the receiver was mounted in the old system.  Maybe there's something about the location it doesn't like.  Guess I'll have wait and see.

Bill
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

After recovering from a small disaster this morning, the system is buttoned up and under the desk.  At the moment I am running only the Plextor .

And I am happy to report the M510 mouse is back to working flawlessly, go figure.....

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

Yes, the new system is fast, stable and seems reliable.  The Asus motherboard is the one aspect could be improved.  The documentation is skimpy and somewhat misleading.  For instance, the string of SATA connectors starts with 2 plugs that are a dark blue and next in line are 2 white ones. The white ones are supported by the Intel northbridge.  The blue ones are described in the manual as "for data drives".  What the manual doesn't say is they're not for the O/S.  Win7 simply isn't supported by the Asmedia chip and you simply cannot use them for them for Windows, so why are they in such a prominent place?  The other issue is that Asus doesn't specify how the SATA connections are numbered.  The white ones for the O/S drive are numbered 1 and 2, but no indication of which is which.  Being a bit complusive, I like to put the O/S drive one SATA 1, which required trial and error.

The other issue I have with the M/B is my fault, it doesn't have an E-SATA connector on the rear panel, and I missed it.   It does have a couple of USB 3.0 ports.

But all in all its a decent system and much better than the one it replaced.

Bill

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

No eSATA on the rear panel? I would have expected at least one. Does it come with an eSATA adapter?

As for the documentation, I know how frustrating that can be. I normally don't require step-by-step instructions, but an occasional clue is helpful. BTW: I too want to connect my drives in sequence, since it matters for disk management. Otherwise they won't appear in the proper order and can become a source of confusion.

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

I just checked again, no E-SATA and no adapter or a connection for an adapter.

Bill

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

I probably would have ordered the same motherboard without giving it a second thought, figuring that eSATA would come standard. I guess when my turn comes it will be worth paying attention to.