Forgot your password?

AnandTech: Build-A-Rig

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

So AnandTech is sponsoring a unique contest that pits tech companies against each other to build the best computer within a certain budget. The contest is on its way, with the first contestants (Corsair vs. Zotac) putting their best foot (feet?) forward.

You can read the article yourself to see the contest rules, etc., but I in going through the first round I noted a few things of interest in building the best $1,500 system. Lower end Gigabyte motherboards were used for both, along with i5 CPUs. While both use SSD storage, neither are Samsung. Both offer high end graphics.

I look forward to the results of the first round after AnandTech gets around to building and testing them:

AnandTech: Build-A-Rig Round 1

Bill

Universal Moderator
Posts 6830
Report to moderator

One of the things that struck me is only one of the Gigabyte boards supports M.2 Sata but the builders chose not to use it.  Maybe a budget constraint but $1500 is a fair amount of money.  They seem to have op[ted for a higher end GPU vs. overall system speed.
Fractal Design R5 | Asus  Z170 Pro | Intel i5 6600k | 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws  DDR4 2133 | Seasonic 650w PSU | eVGA GTX 550 TI | Samsung 960 M2 500 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | ASUS Burner | Windows 7 64-bit

scuzzy

Administrator
Posts 10157
Report to moderator

• Forum Cop

• In an emergency, 9-1-1 calls ME.

Other factors could be that for the first round the builds are focused on gaming. My understanding is that storage performance is not as important in gaming. Obviously, GPU cards are everything in this category. Also, when going for bang for the buck in gaming, i5 is highly preferred over an i7.